The Deskthority Award

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Dec 2017, 20:52

Sponsored by:
Voters have a chance at winning a Varmilo VA68Mg and Filco Convertible 2 from The Keyboard Company!

Winner:
Please give special attention to this award, the heavyweight "super category..."

Who wins The Deskthority Award 2017? What did the community consider extra special? The official nominees were:

• Chyros for his Youtube productions in 2017
  • Daniel Beardsmore for his work on the wiki in 2017
  • Kailh for actually innovating in the switch design space
  • KBDFans for bringing new good things for a cheap price
  • Wodan for his keyboard building videos

And the Golden Wingnut, as voted for by the keyboard community, goes to...
Spoiler:
Chyros for his Youtube productions in 2017
There are many Youtube channels dedicated to keyboards but few have Chyrosran22's passion, competence and perseverance. DIY, vintage keyboards, modern switches everything seems to be covered by this guy who managed to reach 12k subscribers in a niche market like this one. If you value his content and appreciate what he is doing for the mechanical keyboard community, you should totally vote for him.

Chyrosran22 in his natural habitat.
Runners-up:
Spoiler:
2nd place: Daniel Beardsmore for his work on the wiki in 2017
Daniel doesn't need introduction. He is one of the pillars of Deskthority and specifically the relentless main contributor of the wiki. His dedication and maniacal research of the tiniest details made the DT wiki the number one reference guide on the Internet when it comes to mechanical keyboards. Best way to show him your appreciation is to cast your vote for him.

Daniel's page on the wiki

3rd place: Kailh for actually innovating in the switch design space
They started with lousy Cherry MX clones and they grew up as real innovators. Kailh not only improved the manufacturing quality but they are constantly pushing new switches into the market. Spilled your soda on the keyboard? No sweat, Kailh has got waterproof switches. Need an ultra low profile keyboard? Kailh got that covered. Clicky switch lover? Look no further, they reinvented the click switch too. They also partnered with Input Club to release the custom switch Hako designed by the well know Haata.

Spill-proof, dust-safe Kailh switch
Honorable mentions:
Spoiler:
KBDFans for bringing new good things for a cheap price
Getting custom keyboards or components to build them was once an hard and expensive endeavor. Today things are a little less complicated thanks to dedicated ecommerce like KBDFans. A huge inventory and decent pricing brought KBDFans to this year's DT Awards; if you are a shopaholic, you know where your vote belongs.

KBDFans homepage

Wodan for his keyboard building videos
Video contents are king this year. Long time DT user Wodan is having a lot of fun shooting videos in his garage about all sort of keyboards he seems to be growing on trees. He also recently made some step by step tutorials about building custom keyboards and they granted him a nomination to this year's DT Awards!

Wodan in his garage having dismantling keyboards

pansku
Member of the Beam Spring cult

06 Dec 2017, 20:59

Not to take anything away from Chyros, I really thought that Daniel was going to win for sure based on the messages in the final vote -thread. But congratulations to Chryros! Maybe you can display that sweet Golden Wingnut in the upcoming space cadet review :evilgeek:

Findecanor

06 Dec 2017, 21:02

Chyros managed to post his funniest video ever during the voting period. I'm guessing that could have been influential in swinging the vote to his advantage.

AMongoose

06 Dec 2017, 21:36

Congratulations Chyros!

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

06 Dec 2017, 21:48

This is well deserved!

Slom

06 Dec 2017, 21:49

Gratz chyros!

Wodan
ISO Advocate

06 Dec 2017, 22:02

Really taking keyboard related youtube videos to the next level, congratulation Chyros!
Seems like I clearly need a Quake1 shirt for my streams as well ...

Chyros

06 Dec 2017, 22:24

Thanks everyone, I must admit I didn't think I'd win it xD . I'm honoured and really happy people are liking the videos though! :D And there's more yet to come!

mecano

06 Dec 2017, 22:48

That was not an end of carrier award after all, finish your champagne flute and go back to the cam now :mrgreen:

Chyros

06 Dec 2017, 23:01

mecano wrote: That was not an end of carrier award after all, finish your champagne flute and go back to the cam now :mrgreen:
I actually am editing right now xD .

recon8659

06 Dec 2017, 23:03

Chyros wrote: Thanks everyone, I must admit I didn't think I'd win it xD . I'm honoured and really happy people are liking the videos though! :D And there's more yet to come!
Woohoo, glad i nominated you!

Meddle

06 Dec 2017, 23:19

Congrats! Well deserved!

alh84001
v.001

06 Dec 2017, 23:44

I bit bummed Daniel didn't win it, but congrats to Chyros, well-deserved as well.

Lustique

07 Dec 2017, 00:38

alh84001 wrote: I bit bummed Daniel didn't win it, but congrats to Chyros, well-deserved as well.
I think he specifically stated that he wasn't interested in winning.

Daniel Beardsmore

07 Dec 2017, 00:58

That is also not true.

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Dec 2017, 01:07

Perhaps it can be more softly expressed as lacking a certain finesse in the art of persuasive campaigning.

codemonkeymike

07 Dec 2017, 01:14

Next year I can be your PR/hype man Daniel for DTA2018, we can split the pot say I get the wingnut from January 1 to July 1.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

07 Dec 2017, 01:15

webwit wrote: Perhaps it can be more softly expressed as lacking a certain finesse in the art of persuasive campaigning.
Ya, you could have had a giveaway on Reddit for votes. I hear it's all the "rage" ;)

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Dec 2017, 01:40

Har har. :lol: Well I was just referring to posts like this. May have swayed some votes.

JP!

07 Dec 2017, 02:32

Wow, congrats! Both the efforts of Chyros and Daniel have made a tremendous impact in shaping the community at large. This was certainly a tough decision.

Khers

07 Dec 2017, 08:09

While I would personally rather have seen Daniel's efforts rewarded, Chyros is a worthy winner. Congratulations!

The_Boom_Boy

07 Dec 2017, 09:19

Love your videos glad that you won.

Topre Enthusiast

07 Dec 2017, 09:22

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: That is also not true.
Human after all!

Congrats Chyros.

cookie

07 Dec 2017, 09:51

Congrats!

Daniel Beardsmore

07 Dec 2017, 09:58

First and foremost the wiki relies on data. That includes (and is not limited to) pictures of keyboards (full of date and model numbers), pictures of switches, datasheets, catalogues, brochures, etc. These can come from your own collection, from manufacturers and suppliers in your own country and language (especially Germany, Scandinavia, Japan, Korea and Taiwan), from retro computer user groups in your own country/language etc.

Without having this base of material, the wiki can't grow.

Also, I still believe that having a comprehensive keyboard example database is of fundamental importance to understanding the manufacturing history of each product line. However, more people are required for this to become a realistic option.

It's not possible for anyone to manage the wiki single-handedly. No-one has the time, money and their own keyboard warehouse.

The wiki is by necessity a community project, and as snuci already explained, the best way to show appreciation for it is to cast aside the state of denial you live in and actually do something for it. That is, to actually admit to yourself and to everyone else that everyone has a part to play in it, and to get involved.

No amount of cheap plastic keycaps will change this.

7bit

07 Dec 2017, 10:11

Congratulations!
:ugeek:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Dec 2017, 10:13

#DTA2018 for this post:
Daniel Beardsmore wrote: First and foremost the wiki relies on data. That includes (and is not limited to) pictures of keyboards (full of date and model numbers), pictures of switches, datasheets, catalogues, brochures, etc. These can come from your own collection, from manufacturers and suppliers in your own country and language (especially Germany, Scandinavia, Japan, Korea and Taiwan), from retro computer user groups in your own country/language etc.

Also, I still believe that having a comprehensive keyboard example database is of fundamental importance to understanding the manufacturing history of each product line. However, more people are required for this to become a realistic option.

It's not possible for anyone to manage the wiki single-handedly. No-one has the time, money and their own keyboard warehouse.

The wiki is by necessity a community project, and as snuci already explained, the best way to show appreciation for it is to cast aside the state of denial you live in and actually do something for it. That is, to actually admit to yourself and to everyone else that everyone has a part to play in it, and to get involved.

And congrats to the winner.

Starck

07 Dec 2017, 10:32

Congratulations Chyros! Well deserved win.

cookie

07 Dec 2017, 11:34

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: First and foremost the wiki relies on data. That includes (and is not limited to) pictures of keyboards (full of date and model numbers), pictures of switches, datasheets, catalogues, brochures, etc. These can come from your own collection, from manufacturers and suppliers in your own country and language (especially Germany, Scandinavia, Japan, Korea and Taiwan), from retro computer user groups in your own country/language etc.

I salute this fine gentleman.

Daniel Beardsmore

07 Dec 2017, 20:12

Huh?

Return to “Results”