Best Vintage Keyboard or Relic

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Nov 2018, 17:43

vintage.png
vintage.png (584.1 KiB) Viewed 19483 times
Best Vintage Keyboard or Relic category

Please suggest nominees for the best vintage keyboard or relic in 2018. What vintage keyboard did you really like to use as a daily driver this year? What rare and amazing relic was found this year? What great restoration inspired you?

- You have to give a short motivation for each suggestion.

- You cannot nominate your own relics or discoveries.

Sponsored by

depletedvespene

15 Nov 2018, 17:53

I'd like to nominate Aer Fixus' IBM 3279 Beamspring Restoration. He took the beamspring that had been subject to horrors few other keyboards have suffered and restored it back to health.

haytorious

15 Nov 2018, 22:30

I'd like to nominate ghostjuggernaut's gorgeous restored Kishsaver. This was cleaned, new foam, the plate stripped and cerakoted, fixed broken internal parts and soldered in xwhatsit. Blank caps replaced the damaged original and adorned with KWK BS Wrapped. :)

Restoration Photo Album

hansichen

16 Nov 2018, 14:19

I'd like to nominate snucci for all his vintage computer finds, restorations and documentations. He always posts well taken pictures of his machines and keyboard parts which are a joy to watch. As representative for his work I'd take his recent MCM/70 machine cause it's a cutie :D

photos-f62/mcm-70-controls-research-cor ... 20100.html

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

16 Nov 2018, 16:24

I want to nominate bass for his awesome IBM 5100 find. IMO this board is the coolest beamspring and they seem so rare - plus the John Titor aspect is neat =P

photos-f62/ibm-5100-portable-computer-a ... ml#p429041

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Nov 2018, 17:59

Current nominations are:

- Aer Fixus' IBM 3279 Beamspring Restoration.. He took the beamspring that had been subject to horrors few other keyboards have suffered and restored it back to health.
- ghostjuggernaut's gorgeous restored Kishsaver. This was cleaned, new foam, the plate stripped and cerakoted, fixed broken internal parts and soldered in xwhatsit. Blank caps replaced the damaged original and adorned with KWK BS Wrapped.
- snucci's MCM/70 machine cause... it's a cutie
- bass for his awesome IBM 5100 find. This board is the coolest beamspring and they seem so rare - plus the John Titor aspect is neat =P

Damonskv

18 Nov 2018, 00:17

As native cyrillic user i can't seem to pass a ball00n's and Mindgame's SAV haul:

photos-f62/make-cyrillic-great-again-t18822.html

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

19 Nov 2018, 19:21

JP! restoration of his IBM desk:

keyboards-f2/ibm-system-3-barn-find-t16 ... ml#p409420

No description needed.

JP!

19 Nov 2018, 19:50

ramnes wrote: JP! restoration of his IBM desk:

No description needed.
Although I am honored that you nominated me for this I don't feel it is necessary as I already won a Wingnut for this in 2017 :)
Spoiler:
3741.jpg
3741.jpg (298.1 KiB) Viewed 19124 times
Also it is technically restored and converted I have not completed this project as far I would like. I however would not be opposed to any nominations for the relics I have found this year ;)

ball00n

22 Nov 2018, 22:48

//gainsborough for his 2 TI keyboards and discovery of new Alps SKCL switch.

photos-videos-f64/gainsborough-s-wild-t ... 19112.html

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

23 Nov 2018, 01:48

ball00n wrote: //gainsborough for his 2 TI keyboards and discovery of new Alps SKCL switch.

photos-videos-f64/gainsborough-s-wild-t ... 19112.html
"Best discovery in the field of Alps." I have a single loose SKCL Cream switch and it's great!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Nov 2018, 09:44

To hopefully get more nominations (and since we are still negotiating with the sponsors) I'm extending the nomination phase till November 27.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

24 Nov 2018, 18:40

JP! wrote:
ramnes wrote: JP! restoration of his IBM desk:

No description needed.
Although I am honored that you nominated me for this I don't feel it is necessary as I already won a Wingnut for this in 2017 :)
Spoiler:
3741.jpg
Also it is technically restored and converted I have not completed this project as far I would like. I however would not be opposed to any nominations for the relics I have found this year ;)
Oh, didn't remember that! Well... Enjoy your wingnut. :lol:

ZedTheMan

24 Nov 2018, 19:24

Though I am uncertain of if it really fits, I would like to nominate snacksthecat for their Televideo haul mass conversion/restoration project, and the election spinoff that followed.

workshop-f7/televideo-the-beginning-of- ... 19853.html

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Nov 2018, 08:58

Current nominations are:

- Aer Fixus' IBM 3279 Beamspring Restoration.. He took the beamspring that had been subject to horrors few other keyboards have suffered and restored it back to health.
- ghostjuggernaut's gorgeous restored Kishsaver. This was cleaned, new foam, the plate stripped and cerakoted, fixed broken internal parts and soldered in xwhatsit. Blank caps replaced the damaged original and adorned with KWK BS Wrapped.
- bass for his awesome IBM 5100 find. This board is the coolest beamspring and they seem so rare - plus the John Titor aspect is neat =P
- ball00n's and Mindgame's SAV haul... because it's cyrillic.
- JP! restoration of his IBM desk, because... just look at it
- gainsborough for his 2 TI keyboards and discovery of rare Alps SKCL switch.

Please let me know if I missed something

JBert

27 Nov 2018, 16:12

matt3o wrote: Current nominations are:

- ball00n's and Mindgame's SAV haul... because it's cyrillic.
- JP! restoration of his IBM desk, because... just look at it
- gainsborough for his 2 TI keyboards and discovery of rare Alps SKCL switch.

Please let me know if I missed something
I believe you missed to exclude JP! with his IBM desk, JP! himself posted above showing that he has actually won in last year's DTA. While it remains an awesome restoration, upholding a nomination for the same prize two times in a row seems a bit excessive.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Nov 2018, 17:32

thanks for the heads up @JBert

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Nov 2018, 08:44

The final vote phase has commenced!

final-vote-f115/best-vintage-keyboard-o ... 20261.html

Return to “Call for nominees”