The Deskthority Award

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Nov 2018, 18:04

thedeskthority.png
thedeskthority.png (476.56 KiB) Viewed 28767 times
The Deskthority Award

This is the main award and "super category," so anything goes. You can suggest a keyboard, company, keycap set, person, etc. It can be something or someone already nominated in another category as well. What has been extra special this year? Who earns the Golden Wingnut?

- You have to give a short motivation for each suggestion.

- You cannot nominate your own relics or discoveries.

Sponsored by

davkol

15 Nov 2018, 21:10

kbdfr wrote: #DTA2018 for this post:
Daniel Beardsmore wrote: First and foremost the wiki relies on data. That includes (and is not limited to) pictures of keyboards (full of date and model numbers), pictures of switches, datasheets, catalogues, brochures, etc. These can come from your own collection, from manufacturers and suppliers in your own country and language (especially Germany, Scandinavia, Japan, Korea and Taiwan), from retro computer user groups in your own country/language etc.

Without having this base of material, the wiki can't grow.

Also, I still believe that having a comprehensive keyboard example database is of fundamental importance to understanding the manufacturing history of each product line. However, more people are required for this to become a realistic option.

It's not possible for anyone to manage the wiki single-handedly. No-one has the time, money and their own keyboard warehouse.

The wiki is by necessity a community project, and as snuci already explained, the best way to show appreciation for it is to cast aside the state of denial you live in and actually do something for it. That is, to actually admit to yourself and to everyone else that everyone has a part to play in it, and to get involved.

No amount of cheap plastic keycaps will change this.
And congrats to the winner.

Puddsy

15 Nov 2018, 21:57

I'd like to nominate TGR. TGR has consistently brought out high quality custom keyboard kits, and continues to push the limits of keyboard design. The TGR Alice in particular is a pinnacle of keyboard design, and I believe it deserves special recognition.

dalesnail

15 Nov 2018, 22:15

Puddsy wrote: I'd like to nominate TGR. TGR has consistently brought out high quality custom keyboard kits, and continues to push the limits of keyboard design. The TGR Alice in particular is a pinnacle of keyboard design, and I believe it deserves special recognition.
You spelled "Jane v2" wrong lad

dalesnail

15 Nov 2018, 22:43

Last edited by dalesnail on 16 Nov 2018, 03:25, edited 1 time in total.

Oblotzky

15 Nov 2018, 22:46

I nominate Wilba for making top quality PCB's, as seen in RAMA products and the recent Verne TKL by Zambumon.

chuckdee

15 Nov 2018, 22:53

I nominate the QMK team for maintaining and supporting the QMK Firmware base- one of the easiest and powerful firmwares, in my experience.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Nov 2018, 12:38

Nominations so far:

- TGR has consistently brought out high quality custom keyboard kits, and continues to push the limits of keyboard design. The TGR Alice in particular is a pinnacle of keyboard design, and I believe it deserves special recognition.
- Wilba for making top quality PCB's, as seen in RAMA products and the recent Verne TKL by Zambumon
- QMK for maintaining and supporting the QMK Firmware base - one of the easiest and powerful firmwares

keep them coming!

green-squid

17 Nov 2018, 18:53

elecplus for saving so many keyboards and giving fair prices for them

kbdfr
The Tiproman

19 Nov 2018, 07:25

Findecanor

19 Nov 2018, 07:57

Thank you. I'm honoured, but I am not worthy.
I think the Deskthority Award should go to something more significant than writing very esoteric articles in a nerdy wiki ...
Also, most of my work has been filling out stuff, tidying up and cross-referencing, me being an anal-retentive completist with too much time.
When Daniel Beardsmore was active, he did ten times as much of that stuff, and real research for new articles — and it was the latter for which he had got nominated for previous years.

BTW. Does anyone have any idea what happened to Daniel? He was as active as ever, and then he just stopped logging in.
Last edited by Findecanor on 19 Nov 2018, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

Findecanor

19 Nov 2018, 08:06

I would like to nominate iMav for having founded Geekhack and held out managing it until this year.
Without Geekhack, I don't think many of us would have fallen deep into this hobby.

bhtooefr said it better, three years ago:
bhtooefr wrote: Before he started Geekhack and brought attention to it, English-language keyboard discussion was mainly scattered across various blogs and non-keyboard-specific forums, and a lot of misinformation around the web. As a direct result of his initial efforts, there's now multiple communities, and a lot is being discovered that had previously been lost to time. And, I'd argue that an entire industry has formed around the existence of such communities. Without iMav, we likely wouldn't have had the mechanical keyboard renaissance that we had.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Nov 2018, 09:44

To hopefully get more nominations (and since we are still negotiating with the sponsors) I'm extending the nomination phase till November 27.

Ir0n

24 Nov 2018, 09:52

orihalcon!
He has always been really helpful when looking for random ass parts.
He also sells those great cables and keeps them in stock for the most part and always has great fair prices.

chuckdee

24 Nov 2018, 19:57

I nominate NovelKeys. Mike is a really stand up guy, and trying to do things for the community, even when they are difficult. He was one of the retailers involved in the Box fiasco, and immediately stopped sales and then took the hit on discounting them after Kailh wouldn't make things right, instead of just trying to offload stock as corrected as some others did. He has his hands in so many things that I can't imagine how he keeps it all straight as a small business owner, but he manages to do so.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Nov 2018, 08:53

Nominations so far:

- TGR has consistently brought out high quality custom keyboard kits, and continues to push the limits of keyboard design. The TGR Alice in particular is a pinnacle of keyboard design, and I believe it deserves special recognition.
- Wilba for making top quality PCB's, as seen in RAMA products and the recent Verne TKL by Zambumon
- QMK for maintaining and supporting the QMK Firmware base - one of the easiest and powerful firmwares
- elecplus for saving so many keyboards and giving fair prices for them
- Findecanor for steadily contributing to the wiki
- iMav for having founded Geekhack and held out managing it until this year.
- orihalcon! He has always been really helpful when looking for random ass parts. He also sells those great cables and keeps them in stock for the most part and always has great fair prices.
- NovelKeys. Mike is a really stand up guy, and trying to do things for the community, even when they are difficult. He was one of the retailers involved in the Box fiasco, and immediately stopped sales and then took the hit on discounting them after Kailh wouldn't make things right, instead of just trying to offload stock as corrected as some others did.

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Nov 2018, 20:10

clickclack - The first artisan keycap maker avant la lettre, he inspired a whole new scene.
Eiiti Wada - For basically being the pioneer of professional 60% keyboards.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

26 Nov 2018, 23:31

webwit wrote: clickclack - The first artisan keycap maker avant la lettre, he inspired a whole new scene.
he will be thrilled to get a wingnut!

Slom

26 Nov 2018, 23:35

matt3o wrote:
webwit wrote: clickclack - The first artisan keycap maker avant la lettre, he inspired a whole new scene.
Maybe we should get him a jelly key in that case :D

JBert

26 Nov 2018, 23:53

matt3o wrote:
It's unlikely that he has a DTA 2018 award certificate with his name on though.

Compgeke

27 Nov 2018, 03:27

He does now!

Laser
emacs -nw

27 Nov 2018, 09:28

"Winrar" ? :lol:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Nov 2018, 09:33

Laser wrote: "Winrar" ? :lol:
darn warez