Best Keycap or Keycaps Set

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Nov 2018, 18:34

keycaps.png
keycaps.png (623.94 KiB) Viewed 88798 times
Best Keycap or Keycaps Set

Please send your nominations for Best Keycap or Keycaps Set. What's the most colorful, original, nostalgic, keycap designed this year? This includes a full set, an update kit a single key or an artisan creation.

- You have to give a short motivation for each suggestion.

- You cannot nominate your own relics or discoveries.

Sponsored by

depletedvespene

15 Nov 2018, 18:43

Since the key word here is "designed", I'd like to nominate hansichen's GMK Greek Olivetti keycap set. Well designed, with attention to detail and, critically, ready to correct an egregious mistake made back in the day and that no one had bothered to fix before — the usage of a Ç (latin C with cedilla) letter instead of the proper ς (lowercase final sigma); I am not Greek and that irked me to no end.

Yeah, the GB failed, but that's another issue entirely.

dgneo

15 Nov 2018, 21:56

jelly key, because lets go for 3 years in a row

Puddsy

15 Nov 2018, 22:00

I'll nominate GMK Serika because it's yellow and I can't nominate my own things.

Tombery

15 Nov 2018, 22:08

I nominate GMK Space Cadet because its a great idea to bring such iconic keyset to cherry profile. I think those Space Cadet alphas will be featured also in other future keysets and this is great.

chuckdee

15 Nov 2018, 22:17

Puddsy wrote: I'll nominate GMK Serika because it's yellow and I can't nominate my own things.
Seconded, along with GMK Laser and MT3 R2 (though I know it will probably be thrown out I couldn't let it pass without notice ;) ).

The former because of nostalgia, and the fact that I was able to pair it with another keyset ably to create something that is endgame for me. The second for really bringing home MT3, correcting all of the issues that were in the first batch and creating a keyset that will be around for a long time (and not just because of PBT). It's a joy to type on, and deals with a lot of my personal issues with SA in the profile.

codemonkeymike

16 Nov 2018, 04:52

MiTo XDA Canvas, I like the classic simple typography and the pastel mods

kokokoy

16 Nov 2018, 07:46

Since GMK Handarbeit still in GB, I nominate DSA Galaxy Class. Love how them color seems to blend together.

green-squid

16 Nov 2018, 14:13

I'm nominatin GMK Handerbeit, because we NEED more colorful keyboards in this world! Even if it failed :(

chuckdee

16 Nov 2018, 15:14

green-squid wrote: I'm nominatin GMK Handerbeit, because we NEED more colorful keyboards in this world! Even if it failed :(
Since it's not done, does it count? Thought it had to be completed and in hands to count.

depletedvespene

16 Nov 2018, 15:34

I posit that it can't count — the GB phase hasn't even been completed yet (whether it does succeed or fail in the end).

subcat

16 Nov 2018, 15:41

if a failed gb can count then surely one that's finishing in less than a week can...

depletedvespene

16 Nov 2018, 15:54

matt3o will have to make the final decision on this (Matt, how's the "no drama" thing going?! :mrgreen: ), but I'd say that the cut-off date should be yesterday, when the calls for nominees (this thread and the other three) were posted.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 Nov 2018, 17:08

the cut off date is November 23. As of now, I don't think we should include it. If anything changes in a week... sure!

chuckdee

16 Nov 2018, 21:11

subcat wrote: if a failed gb can count then surely one that's finishing in less than a week can...
I personally don't think that anything that hasn't made it to the end users' hands should be counted. But that's just me...

green-squid

16 Nov 2018, 21:35

ok actually im nominating matt three o , then.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Nov 2018, 12:52

Nominations so far:
- MiTo XDA Canvas, I like the classic simple typography and the pastel mods

Is it really out?
- GMK Space Cadet, is it released yet?
- GMK Handerbeit, is it released yet?

Not accepted
- hansichen's GMK Greek Olivetti keycap set. Not an actual product
- jelly key, which one of them? They make many, if you want to nominate the company nominate them for the "deskthority award"
- matt3o is not a keycap

Oblotzky

17 Nov 2018, 14:40

GMK Space Cadet ships out in January from Massdrop, I might have a copy in December, but even that would be too late for this years awards.

GMK Handarbeit is currently in Group Buy, so far from being in peoples hands.

chuckdee

17 Nov 2018, 23:57

I nominated:

1. GMK Laser (also MiTo)- way to get a custom color keyset done right,
2. dev/tty r2 - corrected all of the missteps of the first to make a really viable new profile (which I'm guessing you'll throw out because of it being you)

Damonskv

18 Nov 2018, 00:58

I nominate GMK TA 90 from drclick - the most promising vintage remake

chuckdee

18 Nov 2018, 03:55

Damonskv wrote: I nominate GMK TA 90 from drclick - the most promising vintage remake
That one hasn't completed either, has it?

https://en.zfrontier.com/products/gmk-ta-90

rioc

18 Nov 2018, 23:39

SA Oblivion. Just looks too good and the git mods are bliss

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Zambu

20 Nov 2018, 22:11

Puddsy wrote: I'll nominate GMK Serika because it's yellow and I can't nominate my own things.
Thanks for the nomination Puddsy :D

I'm going to nominate GMK Olivia, a subtle keyset with rose gold accents, and it is already a favorite for many.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Nov 2018, 23:56

To hopefully get more nominations (and since we are still negotiating with the sponsors) I'm extending the nomination phase till November 27.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Nov 2018, 09:10

Nominations so far:
- MiTo XDA Canvas, I like the classic simple typography and the pastel mods
- GMK Serika because it's yellow...
- SA Oblivion. Looks too good and the git mods are bliss
- GMK Olivia a subtle keyset with rose gold accents

thanks for the nomination of /dev/tty, but I'm both DT admin and DTAwards coordinator... It's a hard pass.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

25 Nov 2018, 13:22

Cherry original doubleshots, the most sincere and least pretentious keycaps ever.
They show solid, perfect readable and well-aligned legends.
Their cylindrical top with the sharp edges and their sculptured design are just perfect for professional typists.

Their moulds are so perfect that after decades, they are still used
for all those bizarrely coloured keycap sets which all lose their appeal as soon as a new one appears.

But above all, they do not try to conceal that like you, they get old.
The more you use them, the more they shine.
They slowly yellow as your hair turns grey.
They are your perfect and eternal companion, not a short-lived affair :mrgreen:

chuckdee

25 Nov 2018, 17:37

But GMK Laser is MiTo... any reason it's not listed? :) Or is it only one per designer?

Menuhin

25 Nov 2018, 17:52

SA Oblivion - at first I am quite against any "non-traditional" use of RGB colors on Ctrl-Alt-Shift, but the color theme looks so good in most boards, and the git mods are genius and trendy. It really stands out.

Kurplop

26 Nov 2018, 17:37

kbdfr wrote: Cherry original doubleshots, the most sincere and least pretentious keycaps ever.
Their cylindrical top with the sharp edges and their sculptured design are just perfect for professional typists.

for all those bizarrely coloured keycap sets which all lose their appeal as soon as a new one appears.

If they ever have a DT Poet Laureate, I would like to nominate kbdfr. His inspiring words brought tears to my eyes.

depletedvespene

26 Nov 2018, 19:57

kbdfr wrote: Cherry original doubleshots, the most sincere and least pretentious keycaps ever.

Because of this comment, I'll refrain from making a "No Award." nomination. :)

Return to “Call for nominees”