gainsborough's TI keyboards
27%

Total votes: 94

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Nov 2018, 08:42

Best Vintage Keyboard or Relic category

Sponsored by

Vote for a chance to win a Filco Majestouch-2, Matias Tactile Pro for Mac , Contour RollerMouse Red, Contour Unimouse Wired Ergonomic Mouse.

Final vote!
This is the final vote for the best vintage keyboard or relic in 2018. What vintage keyboard did you really like to use as a daily driver this year? What rare and amazing relic was found this year? What great restoration inspired you?

You can change your vote at any time up until 2018-12-03 19:00:00. Contrary to previous DTA editions, this is the final vote, there is no "vote for nominee" phase.

The nominees are

Aer Fixus' IBM 3279 Beamspring Restoration

Aer Fixus' IBM 3279 Beamspring Restoration. He took the beamspring that had been subject to horrors few other keyboards have suffered and restored it back to health.

-----------------------

ghostjuggernaut's gorgeous restored Kishsaver

ghostjuggernaut's gorgeous restored Kishsaver. This was cleaned, new foam, the plate stripped and cerakoted, fixed broken internal parts and soldered in xwhatsit. Blank caps replaced the damaged original and adorned with KWK BS Wrapped.

-----------------------

snucci's MCM/70 machine

snucci's MCM/70 machine cause... it's a cutie

-----------------------

bass for his awesome IBM 5100 find

bass for his awesome IBM 5100 find. This board is the coolest beamspring and they seem so rare - plus the John Titor aspect is neat =P

-----------------------

ball00n's and Mindgame's SAV haul

ball00n's and Mindgame's SAV haul... because it's Cyrillic.

-----------------------

gainsborough's TI keyboards

gainsborough for his 2 TI keyboards and discovery of rare Alps SKCL switch.

Chyros

28 Nov 2018, 10:18

Many nice discoveries, but for me it's got to be the Alps prototype switch :D .

Menuhin

28 Nov 2018, 10:38

Holy Moly..! this is the most interesting DT vote section in every end of the year.

The restorations are jaw-dropping, yet I'm inclined towards gainsborough's TI keyboards - totally jelly of the Neon greens and SKCL creams while I found only browns. But perhaps I will vote for the neat and vintage looking MCM/70 machine.

ZedTheMan

28 Nov 2018, 18:06

Of the final nominations, I can't help but be inclined to vote for //gainsborough for that Alps SKCL Cream switch discovery.

It makes me wonder how many other really obscure switches Alps put out that we haven't yet found.

Myoth

28 Nov 2018, 18:19

definitely giving my vote to //gainsborough, awesome person and awesome find, he really deserves it !

Rally go //gainsboround !

(bad joke but he should understand :lol:)

Bass

28 Nov 2018, 23:27

Myoth wrote: definitely giving my vote to //gainsborough, awesome person and awesome find, he really deserves it !

Rally go //gainsboround !

(bad joke but he should understand :lol:)
My sentiments as well. I am honored that he nominated my IBM 5100 for a DTA award considering I have only been actively posting here for just under a year, but I think he probably deserves the wingnut the most out of everyone in this category. All of the nominees are notable in a wide variety of different ways such as the difficulty of the restoration or the overall rarity of the relic itself. For me, I actually find the hunt and acquisition of relics in of itself to be the most fun aspect of this hobby. I am guessing a lot of people are voting for gains on the basis of discovering a new type of Alps switch which I think is totally understandable, but what seals the deal for me are his thoroughly detailed write-ups for every single one of his finds including this one. I consider the journey to be just as important as the destination, and reading his stories helps convey to you the same sense of surprise that he felt from his discoveries. Although I am more interested in vintage IBM than Alps, I most certainly think of gains as an inspiration when it comes to finding and writing about interesting relics.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

28 Nov 2018, 23:52

Bass wrote: My sentiments as well. I am honored that he nominated my IBM 5100 for a DTA award considering I have only been actively posting here for just under a year, but I think he probably deserves the wingnut the most out of everyone in this category. All of the nominees are notable in a wide variety of different ways such as the difficulty of the restoration or the overall rarity of the relic itself. For me, I actually find the hunt and acquisition of relics in of itself to be the most fun aspect of this hobby. I am guessing a lot of people are voting for gains on the basis of discovering a new type of Alps switch which I think is totally understandable, but what seals the deal for me are his thoroughly detailed write-ups for every single one of his finds including this one. I consider the journey to be just as important as the destination, and reading his stories helps convey to you the same sense of surprise that he felt from his discoveries. Although I am more interested in vintage IBM than Alps, I most certainly think of gains as an inspiration when it comes to finding and writing about interesting relics.
Wow. I don't even care if I win anymore. This comment - and all the other comments showing support for me - means so much to me. I am somewhat at a loss for words, to be honest, haha. Thank you all for the support, and definitely look forward to future write-ups about boards I haven't been able to show you guys yet!

JP!

29 Nov 2018, 01:21

These nominations are all well deserved. It will be a tough decision.

digital_matthew

29 Nov 2018, 04:39

Aer Fixus for his act of necromancy.

JBert

02 Dec 2018, 15:32

Vote Alps in gainsborough's TI keyboards: you will always be surprised.

tron

02 Dec 2018, 18:01

After tackling four beamspring restorations I can really appreciate the amount of hard work and dedication that went into Aer Fixus' 3279. I'm sure a lot of DT members can relate to this project given the amount of beamers that came out of the woodwork this year.

Return to “Final Vote”