Translations needed for forum software

Findecanor

30 May 2014, 18:33

webwit wrote:If you post a topic in Marketplace, the categories are Member to member, Group buys, etc., and subcategories are (for Member to member) For sale, wanted, etc.
I edited the translations for Swedish above.
"Category" => "Annonstyp" (Type of advertisement)
"Subcategory" => "Rubrik" (Header)
"mechanical keyboard club" => "klubb för tangentbords-entusiaster" (club for keyboard enthusiasts)
7bit wrote:In Germany a Backshop sells bread!
In Nederland a Backshop sells rollermice!
:o
Where would you buy breadrolls? :roll:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

30 May 2014, 19:35

scottc wrote:[…]reminds me of this picture from French television that I saw recently:

:lol:

Context:
Spoiler:
His "rapper name" is apparently "will.i.am" in English for those who don't know/care (not that I'd blame you)
Obviously there also are French idiots :lol:

Although… considering that people working for TV shows would probably be fluent enough in English AND know him,
I would suggest perhaps it was done on purpose :mrgreen:

Vierax

30 May 2014, 22:39

Will.I.am misspell seems to be a joke from an underpaid trainee, but “rapper” instead of « rappeur » is a real mistake. There are a lot of those funny mistakes in french TV, especially during live programs like the news.

Madhias
BS TORPE

01 Jun 2014, 19:30

Verein der Freunde mechanischer Tastaturen :?:

Everything else is also with upper case letter written (like 'Persönlicher Bereich', 'Spion', etc.)
Last edited by Madhias on 01 Jun 2014, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Jun 2014, 19:37

Typography over correctness! Blech.

If the Germans can decide on a definite tag line (text and case) let me know and I'll put it in there. I think 7bit must decide, he's part of the forum team.

Halvar

01 Jun 2014, 19:38

Apart from that, we have a German forum master & admin. I don't mind him editing this to what he thinks is best or thinks came out of this discussion. :geek:

ed: webwit ninja'd me.

7bit

01 Jun 2014, 20:01

"mechanical keyboard club" -> "mechanischer Tastatur Verein" or "mechanischer Tastatur Club"
Seriously, I don't care, because I will not use the DE-version anyway.

edit:
What about "Datenverarbeitungsanlageneingabegeräteverein"?
:shock:

This avoids "mechanical" because if someone calls it Datenverarbeitungsanlage, the keyboard surely is machanical (most likely a 122 key BS-keyboard).

kbdfr
The Tiproman

02 Jun 2014, 10:31

7bit wrote:"mechanical keyboard club" -> "mechanischer Tastatur Verein" or "mechanischer Tastatur Club" […]
We should at the very least respect the grammatical rules of the German language.

In this case they command one of the following forms (where Verein can be replaced with Club):
- Mechanischetastaturverein
- Mechanischetastaturenverein
- Mechanische-Tastatur-Verein
- Mechanische-Tastaturen-Verein
This is because:
- You cannot inflect "mechanisch" according to "Verein" as the keyboards are mechanical, not the club.
- You must either link all words together or have hyphens between all.
- The first letter must be a capital as the whole expression is a substantive.

All in all, I find that all four forms named above, while being grammatically correct, are not usual German (in the sense that nobody would spontaneously call such a club by such a name).

Besides, translating is not a matter of repeating all (and only) the words contained in the expression to be translated, but of conveying its meaning, the best case being when the reader cannot recognize the translation as a translation.

So I would propose (again Club can be taken instead of Verein):
- Verein für mechanische Tastaturen
- Verein der Freunde mechanischer Tastaturen
- Verein zur Förderung mechanischer Tastaturen

But again, in any case we should at the very least respect the grammatical rules of the German language.

Halvar

02 Jun 2014, 13:16

kbdfr wrote: - Mechanischetastaturenverein
A declined adjective cannot be used in a compound word (Kompositum) in that way at all. IMO you need at least hyphens in that case, if it's possible at all. That's why I wrote "Mechaniktastaturenverein" above.

Otherwise, thanks kbdfr, I totally agree with that post.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

02 Jun 2014, 14:54

Halvar wrote:
kbdfr wrote: - Mechanischetastaturenverein
A declined adjective cannot be used in a compound word (Kompositum) in that way at all […]
You would be right if it were "a declined adjective", but as a matter of fact (and, I admit, astonishingly enough) it is not.

Let's have a look in the Grammatik-Duden (ed. 2009), 3.3.1.5, "Zum Bezug attributiver Adjektive auf Komposita", which says that an adjective preceding a compound word must refer to the basic (i.e. the second) word:
- "das laute Kindergeschrei"
but not to the determinative (i.e. the first) word:
- "das kleine Kindergeschrei"

Such expressions (I'm still quoting Duden, but using always the same example) can be handled in two different ways:
1. separating the expression into its constituent parts:
(a) "das Geschrei kleiner Kinder"
2. putting all words together to a single compound word (if necessary with hyphens),
with the adjective being either without any inflection:
(b) "das Kleinkindergeschrei"
or ending with "e" (Duden says: "in der erstarrten Form auf -e:"):
(c) "das Kleinekindergeschrei"

Concerning hyphens, §45 of the 1996 official orthographic rules (in their last version of 2006) says that in a compound word a hyphen can be used to emphasize certain elements or to structure confusing or ambiguous compounds[…]. In that case, §44 rules that as soon as there is one hyphen in a compound word, there must be hyphens between all its elements.

That's as simple as that :lol:

Halvar

02 Jun 2014, 15:14

Wow, it's that simple! "Erstarrte Form auf -e" -- now I feel trolled by Duden. 8-)

OK, so as far as I get it, the shortest correct form would be (2b) "Mechanischtastaturenclub"! That will scare people away allright. :evilgeek:

Muirium
µ

02 Jun 2014, 15:19

The sticky joys of agglutination…

kbdfr
The Tiproman

02 Jun 2014, 15:41

Halvar wrote:Wow, it's that simple! "Erstarrte Form auf -e" -- now I feel trolled by Duden. 8-)
I must confess I didn't know about such an "erstarrte Form auf -e" and would have said that that "e" is a "Fugen-e" - which in fact it is :lol:
OK, so as far as I get it, the shortest correct form would be (2b) "Mechanischtastaturenclub"! That will scare people away allright. :evilgeek:
You're right.
What about "Club für mechanische Tastaturen" then?
Besides being clear (and everyday German), it would allow easy retrieval by Google, I think.

Halvar

02 Jun 2014, 15:59

I agree, I said that some 2 pages ago -- it's :roll: we need to convince ... :)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

02 Jun 2014, 16:26

Halvar wrote:I agree, I said that some 2 pages ago -- it's :roll: we need to convince ... :)
Not sure who :roll: is supposed to be, but at least 7bit already gave up resistance:
7bit wrote:[…] Seriously, I don't care, because I will not use the DE-version anyway. […]

7bit

02 Jun 2014, 16:52

SE-version is:
klubb för tangentbords-entusiaster

so, what about:
Club für Tastatur-Enthusiasten
or
Club der Tastatur-Verrückten
;-)

This works also in other languages:
Club for keyboard-enthusiasts
Club para los entusiastas del teclado
Club per tastiera-appassionati

kbdfr
The Tiproman

02 Jun 2014, 17:00

7bit wrote:SE-version is:
klubb för tangentbords-entusiaster

so, what about:
or
Club der Tastatur-Verrückten
;-)

This works also in other languages:
Club for keyboard-enthusiasts
Club para los entusiastas del teclado
Club per tastiera-appassionati
I still think that "mechanical" is an essential feature which shouldn't be omitted.

rindorbrot

02 Jun 2014, 17:09

7bit wrote: so, what about:
This gets my vote

Muirium
µ

02 Jun 2014, 18:09

kbdfr wrote:I still think that "mechanical" is an essential feature which shouldn't be omitted.
Perhaps if we had an adequate definition of it! Topres are fine keyboards, but they are no more mechanical than a Logitech. What interests us is quality, rather than a seemingly less nebulous term that is actually anything but.

Would a car forum specify what transmission type, or fuel? We're into keyboards. No more, no less!

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Jun 2014, 19:25

I searched for keyboard enthusiast on youtube.

7bit

02 Jun 2014, 20:04

... and obviously found nothing, because youtube now causes white rectangles.
:-)

Julle

22 Jun 2014, 20:15

Translations for Finnish:

Code: Select all

All [context: All topics] --> Kaikki
Category --> Kategoria
Select a category --> Valitse kategoria
You must select a category. --> Sinun pitää valita kategoria.
Select a subcategory --> Valitse alakategoria
You must select a subcategory. --> Sinun pitää valita alakategoria.
mechanical keyboard club --> klubi mekaanisten näppäimistöjen ystäville
If any of the Finns here have a better proposition for 'mechanical keyboard club', I'm all ears.

DerpyDash_xAD

26 Jun 2014, 15:28

Muirium wrote:
kbdfr wrote:I still think that "mechanical" is an essential feature which shouldn't be omitted.
Perhaps if we had an adequate definition of it! Topres are fine keyboards, but they are no more mechanical than a Logitech. What interests us is quality, rather than a seemingly less nebulous term that is actually anything but.

Would a car forum specify what transmission type, or fuel? We're into keyboards. No more, no less!
Not to mention, the model F is almost a hybrid - capacitive/contactless activation, but the contact is a mechanical hammer. Not to mention that membranes are MORE mechanical than Topres - they at least have contacts.

Also, keyboard entusiast forgets about the rest of the HIDs out there - Joysticks, trackballs, mice - this forum may be first and formost keyboard, but the other parts are undeniable. It is DESKthority after all - and my desk includes a mouse.

Muirium
µ

26 Jun 2014, 15:47

We tried to kick some life into the mouse and other input devices section with a review competition a few months ago. But the dust devils over there are evidence aplenty that we're keyboard guys, not input devices.

But don't get me started on "mechanical" again. The word is insufficient to the point of meaningless. The idea that a Model F, a beastly wondrous and metallic thing, lacks something lightweight cheapo keyboards have… IBM flamebait!

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

26 Jun 2014, 15:55

Keyboards can be easily modified. Mouse, joysticks and the likes can not. That means there is a lot more to talk about. If I could take apart different mouse, joysticks, joypads or whatever and put together whatever I liked to make it fit my preferences and needs, just like I can with my Cherry keyboards, I would and there would be a lot more discussions about it.

Muirium
µ

26 Jun 2014, 16:00

Exactly. Reviews are pretty much the only thing we can do about mice etc. (Besides hacking TrackPoints of our own and other occasional workshop stuff, which we're only just getting started on, I think.) Mice are much more of a black box than keyboards.

Besides, mice don't have caps! Caps alone are a big part of our discussions here. Easily interchangeable exterior components with a large impact on feel and a decisive one on looks: where's the equivalent in other devices?

maxmalkav
dye hard

26 Jun 2014, 18:48

I'm in for the Spanish translation :-) Edit: here it is!

All [context: All topics]: Todos
Category: Categoría
Select a category: Selecciona una categoría
You must select a category: Debes seleccionar una categoría
Select a subcategory: Selecciona una subcategoría
You must select a subcategory: Debes seleccionar una subcategoría
mechanical keyboard club: club de teclados mecánicos
The "most natural" way in Spanish for "mechanical keyboard club" would be "club de teclados mecánicos", literally "club of mechanical keyboards", using the plural. But this way, it sounds like the members are mechanical keyboards themselves :p

Another option would be "club del teclado mecánico", this way it's quite clear that the topic the club is about is mech boards. Following a much more matt3o like approach, you can also use "Club Teclado Mecánico", but it sounds un-Spanish :)

ماء

17 Oct 2014, 08:13

indonesian forum already accustomed to using english, weird to translate :lol:
but i want looks exculisive so no prob :P

All [context: All topics]: Semua [konteks: Semua topik]
Category: Kategori
Select a category: Pilih kategori
You must select a category: Anda harus memilih kategori.
Select a subcategory: Pilih subkategori
You must select a subcategory: Anda harus memilih subkategori.
Mechanical Keyboard Club: Klub kibord mekanik
Mechanical Keyboard Club: Klub kibord mekanik :x

tactica

27 May 2015, 21:23

So did this ever come to fruition? At least Spanish is not being used yet.

Return to “Other languages”