Translations needed for forum software

webwit
Wild Duck

30 May 2014, 13:25

kbdfr wrote:And webwit, please make sure either no or all items end with a full stop ;)
It's correct the way it is, the items which don't have a full stop are labels for form elements.

webwit
Wild Duck

30 May 2014, 13:40

What about "Mechanischer Tastaturverein" ?

Icarium

30 May 2014, 13:54

Great, where do I sign up my keyboards. :)

webwit
Wild Duck

30 May 2014, 14:04

So a Fußballverein is a club for footballs?

ne0phyte
Toast.

30 May 2014, 14:07

"Mechanischer Tastaturverein" would be closer to "Mechanical Keyboard Club" but it sounds really weird to me.
"Verein der Freunde Mechanischer Tastaturen" sounds a bit weird as well, but fits much better.

I thought I'd come up with something better but there really isn't anything.

Icarium

30 May 2014, 14:08

I think football in this case is the sport not the object. You could call it Tastatursammelverein or something like that because that is also something that you do.

It's more obvious with other things like "Bogenschießverein" oder "Bogensportverein" not "Bogenverein" and most definitely not "Gewehrverein" but "Schützenverein".

Icarium

30 May 2014, 14:09

"Eingabegerätewertschätzungsgesellschaft"?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

30 May 2014, 14:12

Strictly speaking, "mechanischer Tastaturenverein" would mean that the club is mechanical, not the keyboards.
It would have to be "Mechanische-Tastaturen-Verein", which while being grammatically correct looks and sounds weird.

ne0phyte
Toast.

30 May 2014, 14:41

"Verein der Enthusiasten Mechanischer Tastaturen"
"Group 'o freaks"

Hm maybe we can avoid the weird names by using something like
"Mech.-Tastaturen Verein" :D

webwit
Wild Duck

30 May 2014, 15:01

7bit wrote:It is correctly translated, while yours is just wrong!

Also, you change from Rubrik (Rubric) to Gruppe (Group), another wrong translation.
It should be Rubrik/Unterrubrik or Kategorie/Unterkategorie then, for consistency? I don't have an opinion which one is better, but noticed ebay.de uses Kategorien.

7bit

30 May 2014, 15:12

webwit wrote:So a Fußballverein is a club for footballs?
Yes, indeed. The footballs are the members of the club and the players are employed by the footballs to play them!
:P

kbdfr
The Tiproman

30 May 2014, 15:26

ne0phyte wrote:"Verein der Enthusiasten Mechanischer Tastaturen"
"Group 'o freaks"

Hm maybe we can avoid the weird names by using something like
"Mech.-Tastaturen Verein" :D
There a hyphen still has to be inserted between "Tastaturen" and "Verein".
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durchkopplung#Anwendung

rindorbrot

30 May 2014, 15:27

That was also a reason that I'd like to add the "enthusiast" to the keyboard. Then it is obvious that humans are the club members, not the actual keyboards...

Or how about Eingabegerätefanatikerverein?

Halvar

30 May 2014, 16:09

webwit wrote:
7bit wrote:It is correctly translated, while yours is just wrong!

Also, you change from Rubrik (Rubric) to Gruppe (Group), another wrong translation.
It should be Rubrik/Unterrubrik or Kategorie/Unterkategorie then, for consistency? I don't have an opinion which one is better, but noticed ebay.de uses Kategorien.
Yeah, since nobody else complains, use Kategorie/Unterkategorie, it's the more consistent choice because strictly speaking, "Unterrubrik" doesn't exist as a word (hence "Untergruppe"). Nobody ever got fired for using "system", "interface", "program" or "Kategorie".

Software developers, who love abstract terms (yeah I'm one of them), as well as American companies have ruled the web for 20 years. Kategorien are here to stay. :)

Vierax

30 May 2014, 16:21

agreed with kbdfr for the French translation : it should be coherent by using « choisir » “chose” or « sélectionner » “select” not both. We can use imperative form « sélectionne/sélectionnez » or « choisis/choisissez » (normal /polite form) instead of infinitive form, it sounds less litteral to me but both are correct.

Mechanical Keyboard Club is tricky : « Le club d'utilisateurs de claviers mécaniques » is a bit long but more accurate ( litterally “The mechanical keyboards' users club”).
« Club du clavier mécanique » disturbs me, it sounds like there is only one keyboard like “club of the mechanical keyboard“ whereas « club de claviers mécaniques » sounds too generic like “club of mechanical keyboards”
It's hard to translate terms that you always use in the original language :D

7bit

30 May 2014, 16:27

Why not "Keyboard Club" for everybody?
:o

Just translate "keyboard" into every language (look at your Phantom PCB) and the ambiguity problem is solved.
:-)

webwit
Wild Duck

30 May 2014, 16:28

In general I wouldn't try to make translations too literal if it doesn't work, and if it is better left in English because everybody knows the term and a translation sounds silly, that's fine too. Although the French used to be fanatic about that!

webwit
Wild Duck

30 May 2014, 16:31

7bit wrote:Why not "Keyboard Club" for everybody?

Just translate "keyboard" into every language (look at your Phantom PCB) and the ambiguity problem is solved.
:-)
Ambiguity:
Computer keyboard club?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

30 May 2014, 16:34

Italian has a similar problem. Technically it should be "Club della tastiera meccanica" (=Club of the Mechanical Keyboard), which sound a bit silly if you ask me. My proposal would be "Club tastiere meccaniche", which would be roughly: club mechanical keyboards (not "mechanical keyboards club") if you can spot the difference. A bit like saying X-Generation, instead of Generation-X.

That being said in all honesty I would simply use the English version.

rindorbrot

30 May 2014, 16:47

:D
At least it is not only us Germans struggling with this...

Vierax

30 May 2014, 16:52

Nice performance. His accent reminds me Han in 2 broke girls. :D

“mechanical keyboard” isn't the issue, the problem is the link with “club”. Latin languages tend to always add a genitive mark not to sound weird. To be more compact like Matt did for Italian, « Le club des claviers mécaniques » sounds good to me (litt. “The club of mechanical keyboards”)
Fortunately, “club” is a universal word :D

Edit : Matt confirms this genitive issue.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

30 May 2014, 17:04

webwit wrote:In general I wouldn't try to make translations too literal if it doesn't work, and if it is better left in English because everybody knows the term and a translation sounds silly, that's fine too. Although the French used to be fanatic about that!
And still are.

In France, since 1994 there has been a legal obligation that product manuals and of course all legal terms are provided in French. The French were heavily laughed at (at least in Germany) when the law ("loi Toubon") was passed.
In Germany, only yesterday a court invalidated WhatsApp’s General terms and conditions on the ground that they exist only in an English version.
In other words, it took Germany 20 years to realize that Germans usually speak German :mrgreen:

Halvar

30 May 2014, 17:21

I'm pretty sure that we had a similar obligation in Germany for all product documentation. I remember all these badly machine-translated manuals that came with Asian products for a long time ("Stecken Sie die Macht Kabel an die Macht Ausgang.") About terms and conditions for international consumer contracts I'm not sure.

What some fellow Germans did laugh about was the obligatory use of made-up words like octet or ordinateur.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

30 May 2014, 17:28

I remember a very nice Italian translation "Topo compatibile Microsoft" which can be translated "Microsoft compatible Rat" (referring to computer mouse). We are usually xenophilous when it comes to foreign languages, I don't think we have such a law regarding foreign manuals and terms.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

30 May 2014, 17:34

Halvar wrote:I'm pretty sure that we had a similar obligation in Germany for all product documentation. I remember all these badly machine-translated manuals that came with Asian products for a long time ("Stecken Sie die Macht Kabel an die Macht Ausgang.") About terms and conditions for international consumer contracts I'm not sure.

What some fellow Germans did laugh about was the obligatory use of made-up words like octet or ordinateur.
octet, ordinateur, logiciel (=software) and the same are absolutely common words in French, nothing to laugh about.
The French have a creative way to use their language, just compare to some German terms:
didacticiel vs. Learnsoftware
ludiciel vs. Spielesoftware (Latin ludere=play)

In my opinion, what deserves to be laughed at is how German "goes English":
"Handy" for a mobile phone
"Backshop" for a bakery

Muirium
µ

30 May 2014, 17:40

"Handy" means something much more interesting than that, as a noun in English!

7bit

30 May 2014, 17:46

In Germany a Backshop sells bread!
In Nederland a Backshop sells rollermice!

Halvar

30 May 2014, 18:08

They manufacture backs! Spineless backs! Pretzel-formed backs!

scottc

30 May 2014, 18:29

kbdfr wrote:
webwit wrote:In general I wouldn't try to make translations too literal if it doesn't work, and if it is better left in English because everybody knows the term and a translation sounds silly, that's fine too. Although the French used to be fanatic about that!
And still are.

In France, since 1994 there has been a legal obligation that product manuals and of course all legal terms are provided in French. The French were heavily laughed at (at least in Germany) when the law ("loi Toubon") was passed.
In Germany, only yesterday a court invalidated WhatsApp’s General terms and conditions on the ground that they exist only in an English version.
In other words, it took Germany 20 years to realize that Germans usually speak German :mrgreen:
This reminds me of this picture from French television that I saw recently:

:lol:

Context:
Spoiler:
His "rapper name" is apparently "will.i.am" in English for those who don't know/care (not that I'd blame you)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

30 May 2014, 18:30

there's not enough face-palm in this world to comment that image scottc

Return to “Other languages”