Future of DT

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Apr 2021, 09:31

Archie

07 Apr 2021, 10:55

Obviously this tread is not dead - it's just vintage one!

Muirium
µ

07 Apr 2021, 11:09

Visitors from Planet Internet

Seems dead.
Springs back to life.
Must be a forum.

kirito

10 Jul 2021, 20:46

Archie wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 22:11
matt3o wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 13:31
Forums are generally dying all over the web. Google, reddit, facebook, instagram, discord, ... they are killing them, but there are a few that still work, so I guess there is hope.
Definitely. Yes forums as such follow the fate of dinosaurs - evolution is hard to prevent. But despite reptiles aren't rule the world anymore, the most militant or best protected ones still exist: ask any crocodile or tortoise about that! :mrgreen:
well said Archie. i like how you relate this situation with the dinosaurs.

ikkami

21 Jul 2021, 22:06

matt3o wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 09:31
Imagekinemaster mods
and you did it great without failing.. :lol: :lol:

depletedvespene

08 Sep 2021, 13:23

Muirium wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 11:09
Visitors from Planet Internet

Seems dead.
Springs back to life.
Must be a forum.
Is it too late to point out that DT's future isn't what it used to be?

EthanWinters

10 Sep 2021, 09:30

PlacaFromHell wrote:
16 Dec 2018, 21:19
What about a Multilingual wiki? At least for me, it's impossible make a contribution to it due of my bad schoolish english. Also, that would make it easier to reach more people. It's easier to become familiar with a concept in your first language than learn it entirely in another one, even being the English a global language.
Be sure I will be part of the spanish wiki if it becomes a thing.
It's a nice idea, A multilingual WIKI will be so helpful. It will reach so many people as well.
KineMaster Mods

Regards: EthanWinters

Muirium
µ

10 Sep 2021, 14:35

depletedvespene wrote:
No. Only when there is no DT to post on any more will it be too late, and all too ironically apparent. So ironic, no one will ever see!

The hand-cranked spammers are just the same as ever…
Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 1.30.29 pm.jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 1.30.29 pm.jpg (96.59 KiB) Viewed 31796 times
I dunno. DT could use some real love. Needs to be someone's prime focus. You know what I'm like, dropping quiet for internet aeons at a time. I can hardly blame anyone else for taking their eye off the ball, either.

zrrion

10 Sep 2021, 14:53

PlacaFromHell wrote:
16 Dec 2018, 21:19
What about a Multilingual wiki? At least for me, it's impossible make a contribution to it due of my bad schoolish english. Also, that would make it easier to reach more people. It's easier to become familiar with a concept in your first language than learn it entirely in another one, even being the English a global language.
Be sure I will be part of the spanish wiki if it becomes a thing.
I think based on this post you're fine to add English wiki entries, anything that is unclear can be changed later if need be. Would still like to see other languages though but considering the visual editor is still down I doubt the powers that be will get around to adding such a thing any time soon.

depletedvespene

10 Sep 2021, 14:54

Muirium wrote:
depletedvespene wrote:
No. Only when there is no DT to post on any more will it be too late, and all too ironically apparent. So ironic, no one will ever see!

I dunno. DT could use some real love. Needs to be someone's prime focus. You know what I'm like, dropping quiet for internet aeons at a time. I can hardly blame anyone else for taking their eye off the ball, either.
Perhaps it's time for a coup de forum.

Go-Kart

10 Sep 2021, 15:35

Has it not already begun?

https://forum.nexthority.net/

Muirium
µ

10 Sep 2021, 17:43

Go-Kart wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 15:35
Has it not already begun?

https://forum.nexthority.net/
Loads link. Sees header image I shot myself back in 2015 or whenever it was. First time I’ve ever been to a site I’ve never heard of and found something so familiar! :D

Anyway, the forum traffic doesn’t look so hot. Previous months still visible? And the aesthetic is a bit garish to me.

I liked Trev’s forum back when it was still a thing. Forgot to actually use it though. And so it went.

Go-Kart

10 Sep 2021, 23:43

Yeh, I still kinda like DT myself.

PlacaFromHell

11 Sep 2021, 00:10

zrrion wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 14:53
I think based on this post you're fine to add English wiki entries, anything that is unclear can be changed later if need be. Would still like to see other languages though but considering the visual editor is still down I doubt the powers that be will get around to adding such a thing any time soon.
Although I can get myself pretty much explained while speaking english, my skills are quite far from the minimum necessary to produce a formal redaction. I also suspect that I have dyslexia when speaking in English, as the number of mistakes made increases substantially regardless I should be able to point such mistakes. That said, not only my spanish is WAY richer than my english, but the lack of information in other languages makes it a bit prohibitive for some people, not so much because there are people who do not speak English at all (which is a rare case in this hobby), but that sometimes some advanced understanding of the language is required in complicated subjects.
Another thing that should be necesary to idiomatically expand the word of our savior Deskthority should be a general nomenclature consensus for every language, because at least when you're trying to discuss keyboard stuff in spanish, you will always end speaking spanglish. Example: "Sí hombre, los keycaps del model M y el model F son retrocompatibles porque el slider y el barrel son iguales". Or just falling into the linguistic mist of "el cosito". Example: "Sí hombre, los cosos del modelo M y el modelo F son retrocompatibles porque el cosito y el otro coso son iguales".
Anyways, not my forum, not my rules. :D
Last edited by PlacaFromHell on 11 Sep 2021, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.

zrrion

11 Sep 2021, 04:18

The linguistic mist of "el cosito" is a fantastic concept. I like it a lot.

In my opinion if you are writing the wiki you get to decide what the nomenclature is. If the people speaking that language come to a different consensus they are more than welcome to edit the wiki themselves and update the wording.

depletedvespene

11 Sep 2021, 04:26

PlacaFromHell wrote:
Example: "Sí hombre, los cosos del modelo M y el modelo F son retrocompatibles porque el cosito y el el otro coso son iguales".
Anyways, not my forum, not my rules. :D
Tienes que especificar si el cosito va en el coso o el coso va en el cosito.

depletedvespene

11 Sep 2021, 04:27

zrrion wrote:
Oh, and there's more... way more. :lol:

depletedvespene

11 Sep 2021, 04:28

PlacaFromHell wrote:
… sometimes some advanced understanding of the language is required in complicated subjects.
¿Mande? ;)

PlacaFromHell

11 Sep 2021, 08:52

depletedvespene wrote:
PlacaFromHell wrote:
… sometimes some advanced understanding of the language is required in complicated subjects.
¿Mande? ;)
¿Mande de enviar algo por correo, mande de gobernar o mande de que prosiga?
zrrion wrote:
Wanna see more? Just look at this aberration:
Spoiler:
Definition of chucho:
1. Dog
2. Stingy
3. Jesus
4. The sensation of cold
5. Jail
6. Handyman

depletedvespene

11 Sep 2021, 18:21

PlacaFromHell wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 08:52
depletedvespene wrote:
PlacaFromHell wrote:
¿Mande? ;)
¿Mande de enviar algo por correo, mande de gobernar o mande de que prosiga?
"¿Mande?" de "Algo del tema sé." :mrgreen:

Compgeke

12 Sep 2021, 19:02

Muirium wrote:

I just went through and handled all the spam but man, I just ain't got time anymore working full time + commuting. Our new owner really needs to get on the moderation train. Demote the inactive mods (basically everyone) and appoint new moderation who can handle the workloads.

Here's an overview of the mod actions list. It's just me dealing with a spam cleanout in July, a few users here and there editing/deleting their own posts and topics, then what I just did. We really need more moderation, and moderation who're actually active and engaged in the forum.

Basically I'm checking in here and there when I'm able, but being blue collar I can't check in at work anymore and I'm gone from 4 AM to 4-6 PM for so I ain't got the energy to deal with anything.

andrewjoy hasn't visited since December 2020
7-bit hasn't been here since May 2019
002 checked in a few days ago but hasn't been active prior to that
and keyboardjoy hasn't logged on since August 16th.

I don't really know what the future holds, but it's not looking good. I'm not active enough to be the only one managing spam nor am I sure I even care to anymore. I've been out of the keyboard world for so long I don't know what's cool and hip now, I only check in because it looks like I'm the only one that occasionally does.

fwiw, I've never once heard from keyboardjoy which doesn't bode well with me. I mean, I'm a forum moderator. I have higher powers than anyone else. I can delete posts, edit other user's posts, even change who posted a post. I could do a lot of nefarious stuff if I wanted but no one's ever talked to me since the ownership change. There aren't even any new topics in the staff subforum that's been dead since 2019. No introduction, no "Hey here's what's up I'm new, what can I do to improve/fix stuff", etc.

raoulduke-esq

12 Sep 2021, 20:29

Compgeke wrote:
I mean, I'm a forum moderator. I have higher powers than anyone else. I can delete posts, edit other user's posts, even change who posted a post. I could do a lot of nefarious stuff if I wanted but no one's ever talked to me since the ownership change.
Since you don't have time AND you have this power AND the forum has been abandoned by its new owners, could you appoint mods to help keep the spam down? Or are we to just watch Rome burn?

depletedvespene

12 Sep 2021, 20:42

Compgeke wrote:
Muirium wrote:

……

fwiw, I've never once heard from keyboardjoy which doesn't bode well with me. I mean, I'm a forum moderator. I have higher powers than anyone else. I can delete posts, edit other user's posts, even change who posted a post. I could do a lot of nefarious stuff if I wanted but no one's ever talked to me since the ownership change. There aren't even any new topics in the staff subforum that's been dead since 2019. No introduction, no "Hey here's what's up I'm new, what can I do to improve/fix stuff", etc.
I'll happily take antispam duties, if nothing else can, for the time being, be dealt with.

Compgeke

12 Sep 2021, 21:25

Unfortunately I can't appoint mods due to no access to the Admin Control Panel. Moderator level only so I can't promote users.

depletedvespene

12 Sep 2021, 21:28

Compgeke wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 21:25
Unfortunately I can't appoint mods due to no access to the Admin Control Panel. Moderator level only so I can't promote users.
Get the queue of requests ready, so they can be fulfilled when one of the "higher gods" can do them once he deigns to show up. :mrgreen:

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

12 Sep 2021, 21:29

Maybe you need to say the name three times to get a response.

keyboardjoy keyboardjoy keyboardjoy

...maybe that will work.

I can't help but think that this forum was an impulse buy for him.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

12 Sep 2021, 21:36

Oh wow you‘re all behaving like a very bad investment!

Increase engagement and click rate, decrease hostility and mentioning of Taiwan.

raoulduke-esq

12 Sep 2021, 21:47

i’ll just keep emailing all the spam posts to info@onecommerce.group

depletedvespene

12 Sep 2021, 21:49

raoulduke-esq wrote:
I don't know if that will accomplish anything. Generic e-mail addresses are usually directed to /dev/null on most domains, for the obvious reason.

raoulduke-esq

12 Sep 2021, 22:13

depletedvespene wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 21:49
raoulduke-esq wrote:
I don't know if that will accomplish anything. Generic e-mail addresses are usually directed to /dev/null on most domains, for the obvious reason.
That’s the one they have for their “contact us”. deals@onecommerce.group is the one they have if you want to sell to them… They are small enough they probably check their email.

It may not accomplish anything but what else is there? Calling their phone numbers? Taking a trip to the UK to show up at their office? If it annoys one person there for even half a second it’s mission accomplished.

Return to “Deskthority talk”