17 Mar 2023, 10:20

they all said it would be fine
Attachments
kbcool.png
kbcool.png (131.71 KiB) Viewed 6216 times

Muirium
µ

17 Mar 2023, 11:42

I noticed a bit of downtime a couple of days back. Naturally assumed it would be The End. :roll:

Evidently not. Yet.

soyuz

17 Mar 2023, 16:21

they're just entirely afk, their nginx went skewed for several hours and there was no intervention at all.

i'm guessing no monitoring, no caring, etc.

Muirium
µ

17 Mar 2023, 21:38

Whatever happened to… Oliver?

(The real thread is too sincere and occasionally important to crap up in this particular case.)

zrrion

18 Mar 2023, 22:49

Not his monkey anymore, not his circus. He was never the owner, merely the person the owners put in charge. If anyone is actually responsible for the place at this point they haven't attempted to communicate with us in any way.

guidemetothelight

28 Mar 2023, 11:02

God I hope this website doesnt die.... what a treasure trove of information...
A website can always be recreated (escpecially with gpt4 coming) but the information at stake here :?

Muirium
µ

28 Mar 2023, 11:19

Get your wget running! (Easier now we exterminated the spam.)

guidemetothelight

28 Mar 2023, 11:28

Muirium wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 11:19
Get your wget running! (Easier now we exterminated the spam.)
I just had to read up on wget.
It seems to be a way to download / archive the forum.
Could we , as a collective download the whole (or the "important") parts of the forum ?
Even ignoring the fact that is impossible to determine what is important and what is not.
could we delegate parts of the forum to specific members so we dont download duplicates ?
How much storage would be needed ?

Muirium
µ

28 Mar 2023, 11:32

Off the top of my head, the last time an admin discussed this (so definitely before the acquisition!) the whole database that stores Deskthority was something on the order of 100 gigabytes in size. We've discussed this before (all publicly) so some forum searching should find you the figures, as they were. It's only ever getting bigger as people add more attachments (especially those multi-megabyte uncompressed pics on their sales threads which look no better than the same image processed down to 100k, grr!), while the external links we habitually make are getting deader with time, due to general internet entropy.

guidemetothelight

28 Mar 2023, 12:36

Muirium wrote:
something on the order of 100 gigabytes in size.
so nothing to scoff at but do-able if split to to lets say 25 users.
even if we had a Terrabyte of Forum activity to save , that would be around 40 gigs each.
Even with my shitty 50 Mbs connection ( brought to you by the same people that employ me lol :D ), that would be ok.
maybe add another 25 users for redundancy and voila !
Muirium wrote:
(especially those multi-megabyte uncompressed pics on their sales threads which look no better than the same image processed down to 100k, grr!), while the external links we habitually make are getting deader with time, due to general internet entropy.
guilty :?

CaesarAZealad

03 May 2023, 18:51

guidemetothelight wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 11:02
God I hope this website doesnt die.... what a treasure trove of information...
A website can always be recreated (escpecially with gpt4 coming) but the information at stake here :?
AI? That's a bit cringe ngl. I'd trust a website written by that shit as much as I trust it's supposed raccoon facts

On the subject of archiving the site though, surely we can just harass the new owner until he's forced to reply. Maybe the occasional threatening letter.

guidemetothelight

04 May 2023, 08:21

CaesarAZealad wrote:
03 May 2023, 18:51
AI? That's a bit cringe ngl.
Just wait a bit. In its current Iteration, yes its not very reliable. But you thats like having a newborn child that already speaks after a month and being mad that it cant recite shakespeare word by word.

Edit: Appreciate the racoon facts though, perfect standard of measurement

Return to “Deskthority talk”