Future of DT

tinnie

14 Jan 2023, 21:19

depletedvespene wrote:
13 Jan 2023, 15:37
Muirium wrote:
08 Jan 2023, 16:46
DT is the new* internet-order Russian bride the whole world can love!

*Well, maybe she’s getting on a bit, and boy does she have opinions! But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, you know. If only she matched her profile pics…
Shouldn't we, then, groom the bride, so she won't look as "antiquated", as some have complained?

The above said, I don't feel comfortable referring to DT as a "fora" instead of a "forum". :?
Let's ask her to take a video and show off her typing skills.

Muirium
µ

15 Jan 2023, 21:58

As the inventor (and supposed long suffering husband) of Olga, I refuse to recognise “targeted abuse” here. But um consider yourself warned, dear?

Aarshi

28 Mar 2023, 16:09

SPAMIt's important to consider the future of DT and how to keep it relevant, especially with forums declining in popularity. The idea of focusing on niche topics and projects could be a good direction, with better visibility for ongoing projects. Updating the forum software and making the wiki easier to use could also be beneficial, but it's important to balance improvements with maintaining what already works well.

Muirium
µ

28 Mar 2023, 16:19

/size spam, again? And in the same lazy arsed thread? C’mon, try harder man!

CaesarAZealad

29 Mar 2023, 06:46

So we ever figure out of DT is actually owned by a human and not a failed domain flipper now?

Muirium
µ

29 Mar 2023, 13:25

You up for hiring the private investigator? ;)

moriswayne

25 Oct 2023, 07:58

in my opinion with rapid advancements in areas like artificial intelligence, quantum computing, and decentralized technologies, we can expect to see even more powerful and sophisticated digital tools and solutions. This will likely revolutionize industries, from healthcare to finance, and pave the way for new innovations that were once thought impossible.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

25 Oct 2023, 09:23

moriswayne wrote:
25 Oct 2023, 07:58
in my opinion with rapid advancements in areas like artificial intelligence, quantum computing, and decentralized technologies, we can expect to see even more powerful and sophisticated digital tools and solutions. This will likely revolutionize industries, from healthcare to finance, and pave the way for new innovations that were once thought impossible.
Funny how especially this thread about DT's future is regularly targeted by new members for their first ever post.
Some directly post spam and are immediately banned, others wait a bit in order to later editt their post with spam.
The one above (as reported, thanks) apparently belongs to the second category - and is blocked from editing.

Try harder! :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

25 Oct 2023, 12:38

My reckoning is that they assume these "future of X" threads are snooze-ville on every forum on their run—there will be dozens if not hundreds of domains they spam, it's all just work for them—so they seem a safe place to cram with spam. Elsewhere, maybe nobody notices if you register an account, opine immediately about the forum's future in your valued perfect ignorance, then check back later to edit in £h€ ฿ig ৳uck$. If it weren't for the supremely useful surveillance function of the spy, they'd likely be right.

Their fondness for our mice subforum is a little more specific, however…

depletedvespene

25 Oct 2023, 16:44

Muirium wrote:
25 Oct 2023, 12:38
... to edit in £h€ ฿ig ৳uck$.
Don't you mean £h€ ฿i₲ ৳u₡₭$ instead? This is ₷₽₳₥, after all. ¤

Muirium
µ

25 Oct 2023, 16:56

Hey, I’m new, I've read fuck all, but I know the future of [FORUM] is crypto, baby. 8-)

depletedvespene

25 Oct 2023, 17:01

Muirium wrote:
25 Oct 2023, 16:56
Hey, I’m new, I've read fuck all, but I know the future of [FORUM] is crypto, baby. 8-)
KEEBCOIN

Muirium
µ

25 Oct 2023, 17:02

Unlike lesser currencies, KEEBCOIN keeps on growing in value. Just look at Ebay!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

17 Jan 2024, 11:56

kbdfr wrote:
25 Oct 2023, 09:23
[…]
Funny how especially this thread about DT's future is regularly targeted by new members for their first ever post.
Some directly post spam and are immediately banned, others wait a bit in order to later editt their post with spam.
[…]
And again a spammer posted in this thread - just to have their post swiftly reported (thanks) and, because it contained a spam link, equally switfly deleted :mrgreen:

tactica

21 Jan 2024, 11:56

Aarshi wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 16:09
Updating the forum software and making the wiki easier to use could also be beneficial, but it's important to balance improvements with maintaining what already works well.
The wiki isn't much more than forum software with additional (and extensible) syntax and a versioning system built-in to keep track of changes. *Anyone* who is able to post to a forum can also use Mediawiki, you just need to learn the basics, maybe edit a page to correct something, click Save changes and you're done. There's absolutely no mystery to it, you people are doing this here already every time you post something. Someone even bothered to install a visual editor for the wiki which you can invoke by clicking "Edit" instead of "Edit code" in a page, but unless you're an absolute beginner writing a (large) article from scratch you don't really need it. And yes, that editor is currently broken, which leads me to my next point - the future doesn't seem too rosy to me when apparently there's no admin around keeping the software up to date or answering simple requests in the Deskthority talk forum. In fact at this rate it's only a matter of a couple of years for the wiki to die.

Have fun.

Muirium
µ

21 Jan 2024, 15:56

They already had their fun. They were just a spammer copypasta someone else.

Thiagoros

22 Jan 2024, 18:51

I appreciate the valuable information shared on DT's website. Grateful for the insights and looking forward to more. Thanks!Fm Whatsapp Download

Muirium
µ

22 Jan 2024, 21:15

That’s very magnanimous of you random spam / AI bot dude!

Oh yeah I deweaponised your /size link for you. Enjoy the ban. :D

genericusername57

01 Feb 2024, 13:51

So is there a backup plan for when this site goes down again and never comes up?

tactica

01 Feb 2024, 14:18

Photekq is pruning a recent backup.

KBI however appears to be adamant to stick to dokuwiki for their wiki engine so until that changes I'm out of it all. Good luck,

Muirium
µ

01 Feb 2024, 15:02

Hey, we're back! :D

digital_matthew

01 Feb 2024, 15:13

I was starting to get the shakes...

Muirium
µ

01 Feb 2024, 15:15

The recent several days downtime was long enough to finally get me on "DT" Discord. It's… different. We complained about DT's hosting a lot and discussed archival, but keyboards not so much. I’m just more at home on a forum with persistent state than live text.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

01 Feb 2024, 15:24

It was not as horrible as I had presumed :mrgreen:

But Discord is definitely not an option for me.

Go-Kart

01 Feb 2024, 15:56

I tried to get on the Discord, but had no success. Can someone please post the link?

Muirium
µ

01 Feb 2024, 16:14

https://discord.com/invite/ddjx7WS

It's in Deskthority's navigation bar, when you hit the Chat button.

I said "DT" Chat because it has rebranded as The Keyboard Institute for reasons I won't go into…

Go-Kart

01 Feb 2024, 16:59

Thank you kindly.

lhutton

01 Feb 2024, 17:41

Muirium wrote:
The recent several days downtime was long enough to finally get me on "DT" Discord. It's… different. We complained about DT's hosting a lot and discussed archival, but keyboards not so much. I’m just more at home on a forum with persistent state than live text.
Same, I still use IRC some but it's not that busy. Discord wants to give me ADD.

mmm

01 Feb 2024, 18:09

Muirium wrote:
My hope is that someone that gives a fuck and/or is competent will take over the ownership of DT. The Discord is neat, but I really like the slow and long lived nature of a forum. But I'm not really motivated to share stuff on DT while it's in this state.

Findecanor

01 Feb 2024, 19:12

Also not a fan of Discord. But it is there...

With MediaWiki, anyone can take a backup of the wiki text: Get the names of all pages from Special:Allpages, enter them all (multiple pages of Allpages) into the text field of Special:Export. You will then get a XML file to download. Some manual work copying it all.
Downloading images is another matter ...

Return to “Deskthority talk”