Portuguese Language Subforum

Muirium
µ

07 May 2015, 18:59

sphinx wrote:hey there :)

can i ask you to create a new portuguese forum section in the foreign languages forum ? (our thread is getting kinda confusing :D)

thanks in advance!
Muirium wrote:I'll ask the other admins. What do you think it should be called? Note the others are multiple words, not just Deutsch and Francais.
Well, actually, I thought I'd ask right here! Anyone any objections? I've noticed a fair bit of juicy action in DT's curious and frenetic Portuguese thread lately. Could be time to open up a section.

sphinx
Major Bummer

07 May 2015, 19:07

we actually only have one thread, but it has a bunch of different subjects and i gets kinda confusing :D

Muirium
µ

07 May 2015, 19:08

It's busy enough I really think a section is justified. Portuguese may be more active than Spanish on DT now! And certainly above the Asian languages.

Prelim

07 May 2015, 19:11

that's a MASSIVE thread idd :p

Tugas (portuguese people) are taking over DT @Muirium!

sphinx
Major Bummer

07 May 2015, 19:12

we shall infest DT with our mighty mustaches

JotaCe

07 May 2015, 19:15

Don't forget the codfish!

Regarding name: Tugalândia

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

07 May 2015, 19:15

sphinx wrote:we shall infest DT with our mighty mustaches
:D I'd like to see that! But I have been seeing this Portuguese thread way up on the spy lately.

Prelim

07 May 2015, 19:17

"Portuguese fellow, the uncle Zé needs you"

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

07 May 2015, 19:23

Uhh uncle Ze looks mean! :D

Muirium
µ

07 May 2015, 19:27

An old friend of mine is Brazilian. He's adamant they talk Portuguese (I think he has family back there too) but perhaps not all Brazilians are so sure! Should we just call this sub forum Portuguese and see how it goes? There's a few Brazilians on DT, let them speak!

Perhaps I'm just confused by the way some 80s and 90s football videogames would show a Brazilian flag when you selected Portuguese from the language menu. And the stars and stripes when you selected English!

sphinx
Major Bummer

07 May 2015, 19:37

Muirium wrote: An old friend of mine is Brazilian. He's adamant they talk Portuguese (I think he has family back there too) but perhaps not all Brazilians are so sure! Should we just call this sub forum Portuguese and see how it goes? There's a few Brazilians on DT, let them speak!

Perhaps I'm just confused by the way some 80s and 90s football videogames would show a Brazilian flag when you selected Portuguese from the language menu. And the stars and stripes when you selected English!
Brazil's official language is Portuguese. There's a common misconception that Brazillian and Portuguese are different languages, but as far has i know, officially, there is only the Portuguese language. What then happens is that brazillians have a very different accent and use different words and also build sentences and combine verbs in different ways (which are also correct, but just aren't common in Portugal)

This to say that we can join everyone in the same forum, the more the merrier!

Prelim

07 May 2015, 20:01

sphinx
Major Bummer

07 May 2015, 20:56

eat ALLL the pig

Zylkan

08 May 2015, 00:45

I've noticed a fair bit of juicy action in DT's curious and frenetic Portuguese thread lately
OMG!! I had no idea the thread got that noticeable. Did we create a snowball-like monster?!
Uhh uncle Ze looks mean! :D
we shall infest DT with our mighty mustaches
We'll only stop when GMK fully recognizes pt layout again! :evil: (Yes, even if only for half a dozen unit GBs...)

Bring back the good ol' days!

:P

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

08 May 2015, 01:16

I'm don't really agree with language specific sub-forums but portuguese folks seem to be the most active in this foreigner sub-forums (at least lately) so I guess it does make sense.

We're also available to help with Portuguese translations if there is a need.

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

08 May 2015, 01:36

sphinx wrote:
Muirium wrote: An old friend of mine is Brazilian. He's adamant they talk Portuguese (I think he has family back there too) but perhaps not all Brazilians are so sure! Should we just call this sub forum Portuguese and see how it goes? There's a few Brazilians on DT, let them speak!

Brazil's official language is Portuguese. There's a common misconception that Brazillian and Portuguese are different languages, but as far has i know, officially, there is only the Portuguese language. What then happens is that brazillians have a very different accent and use different words and also build sentences and combine verbs in different ways (which are also correct, but just aren't common in Portugal)

This to say that we can join everyone in the same forum, the more the merrier!
Technically it's a difference language. They have different words we don't use and spelling is sometimes different. There is an agreement so unify the portuguese languages between Brasil, Portugal and a couple of african countries but so far only Portugal is keeping its part of the deal.

That said: it's irrelevant, really :P

Muirium
µ

08 May 2015, 01:39

Sounds like the difference between English English and American English. Mutually understandable, but occasionally at war over trivial things!

webwit
Wild Duck

08 May 2015, 01:45

O fórum português foi criado!

sphinx
Major Bummer

08 May 2015, 13:07

webwit wrote: O fórum português foi criado!
Muito obrigado! :D

Free Lisbon tour guides and beers for every DT member visiting Lisbon!

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

08 May 2015, 14:58

Free beers are for CLUB members only, heh :D

henz

01 Jul 2015, 11:12

im half portugese! ive spent alot of time in Lisboa and in a resort near Faro, praia da rocha. Speak a little porguese :)

lolpes

01 Jul 2015, 13:33

So you are one of the lucky ones ;) are you going there anytime soon?

henz

01 Jul 2015, 14:57

Have not been in praia da rocha in a while. My family own an apartment there, but we rent it out during the busy summer months. I might go to Lisboa in late july with my son. When i was little we went 3 times a year. Now that im old i go like every other year.

Return to “Deskthority talk”