Deskthority 5th Anniversary

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Jan 2016, 13:09

5th-anniversary-give-away.png
5th-anniversary-give-away.png (48.03 KiB) Viewed 13017 times
Deskthority 5th Anniversary official thread

The 29th of January is an important milestone in the life of Deskthority and I'm really honored to be witnessing this moment. Very quickly DT became one of the most (if not THE most) important reference point when it comes to mechanical keyboard information especially weird, rare and historical.

The forum itself is probably not the biggest, but surely the most balanced, sane and welcoming. Very rarely we've seen the ban axe, mods and admins work is incredibly easy and the forum basically managed itself.

Quality over quantity, they say, but it's not only that. After 5 years any community usually becomes a mess, DT managed to stay faithful to its goals, the community is adult (and I don't mean by age), wit and polite. Honestly this is one of the cleanest places I visit on the internet.

So please join me and the rest of the crew in this week of celebrations!
gents_party.jpg
gents_party.jpg (34.26 KiB) Viewed 13674 times
5th anniversary give away

I'm glad to announce that Cooler Master joined the celebration and offered a brand new Novatouch that will be gifted to one Deskthority user.

The lucky one will be chosen between all forum members who:
- have at least 25 posts
- have some forum activity this year (a logged in visit on or after the 1st of January will suffice)

All eligible members have already been filtered over the date of this post, so spamming to reach 25 posts is pointless :P The 29th we will announce the winner.
novatouch.jpg
novatouch.jpg (20.79 KiB) Viewed 13173 times
Let me thank Bram from Cooler Master who --once again-- proved to be the coolest guy!

And the winner is: Caligo

Club Members' special

And don't forget that anyone who registered before the 29th of January will get a small 5th anniversary gift! So hurry up! Become a member or renew your subscription now!

Calling for help

So I have personally/out-of-my-wallet purchased a small but special present for all club members. Do not expect too much :) I had to buy 100+ of them after all... but it's symbolic more than valuable.

Now. We have to ship them to all (or most) club members and would be nice if we could set up a small network where members exchange the present with each others. Meaning you get one for yourself plus a couple spares that you could ship to a member near you. The item is very shipping-friendly so the cost would be just few cents.

If you are available at helping us distributing the 5th anniversary special, please let us know. If you can ship 25 or more you get an additional trophy produced in only 5 copies (this is definitely more valuable).

Muirium
µ

23 Jan 2016, 15:48

<Wakes up at a table. Discovers he's at a party. "Again?" Checks to see if dressed. Okay, wait, a cravat? Ah, must be Deskthority!>

"Congratulations everyone! A fine association if ever there was! Long may it continue to amble on. Speaking of which, where's the cognac?"

SL89

23 Jan 2016, 15:51

It feels like only yesterday I found DT.

How did you all find DT?

The wiki was what pointed me to DT, specifically the Round 5 leftovers.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

23 Jan 2016, 16:48

Of course I haven't been around that long, although it feels longer. I actually discovered DT via GH, some link I followed and since there's no black / orange eye torture going on here I just lurked here for quite a while before joining.

Muirium
µ

23 Jan 2016, 17:53

I was deep diving into mech keyboards back in early 2013. My first post at DT describes where I came from:

keyboards-f2/going-mechanical-filco-duc ... t5079.html

I found DT via Mr.Interface's YouTube videos about the Cherry MX family and various keyboards. As far as I was concerned, modern mechs were all MX and so when I found a community where people seemed to have a clue, I asked around. Pretty soon, I got an IBM XT and when I did eventually come face to face with MX switches, I was not exactly impressed! DT's wiki was definitely informative when I was completely new and needed to wrap my head around the MX family, but I quickly got into the forum for its own sake and that's where I've been quite a bit ever since!

There is a parallel universe where I didn't get so involved, and simply wound up with an HHKB as my first mech instead. It's still my perfect keyboard. But the journey became more interesting than the destination.

scottc

23 Jan 2016, 17:58

Hah! You discovered a 60% right in your first DT thread, just after complaining about UK customs. Some things never change! I love it.

seebart

23 Jan 2016, 18:17

scottc wrote: Hah! You discovered a 60% right in your first DT thread, just after complaining about UK customs. Some things never change! I love it.
:lol: Good one. That's a reference for eternity.

Muirium
µ

23 Jan 2016, 19:15

I laughed when I noticed just now that I was looking for an SSK in my very first post at DT, before I even knew they existed!

Fun fact: I very almost bought that Minila. The price put me off at first, and then the staggering which makes them a bloody pain to deck out with nicer caps. (Being a Filco, naturally, they need it!) Once I learned that MX isn't for me, the Minila idea fell by the wayside. Even the Bluetooth Air version, which I still recommend as the best Bluetooth mech out there.

Fortunately, somewhere between Indiana and California, a Bluetooth Model M controller is on its way to me in the mail. Once I'm home, that's going in an SSK. Problem solved, three years later!

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

23 Jan 2016, 20:07

Nice thing the anniversary :) I Feb will be 2 years since I have joined DT, around that time I got my HHKB. Since then I have joined also the Club, first club I'm a member of.
I'll be following this thread, I'm curious what matt3o has in mind for this anniversary :)

bazh

23 Jan 2016, 21:18

wait how can one join the club?

I've been on DT the same time I found geekhack, or when I started to found my hobby in mechanical keyboards :geek: that said I'm still a most-time lurker since :?

Compgeke

23 Jan 2016, 21:23

SL89 wrote: How did you all find DT?.
acfrazier and neko2k directed me here right after I got the pile of old IBM boards and I just stuck around. Forum's not so cluttered like geekhack and the people are relatively nice :).
bazh wrote: wait how can one join the club?

I've been on DT the same time I found geekhack, or when I started to found my hobby in mechanical keyboards :geek: that said I'm still a most-time lurker since :?
club-member-talk-f39/how-to-become-a-de ... t6798.html

Madhias
BS TORPE

23 Jan 2016, 21:58

Oh nice, a week full of celebrations! Cheers everybody. I am not that long here, now for a little bit more than two years, but that was a nice time so far! I discovered DT before GH, and registered later at GH. I remember showing friends the pictures threads here, but I was the only one who got hooked... The rest said something like, yeah, that's keyboards, cool, look all those colors and things like that!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Jan 2016, 22:57

I first joined because I wanted to build a wireless keyboard, funny thing I'm still trying.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

23 Jan 2016, 23:12

I have joined DT because I needed a proxy for the HHKB, it was that simple. And I stayed and it was and it is fun :) GH I have joined a couple of weeks later, another great place.

webwit
Wild Duck

24 Jan 2016, 00:34

I just joined to flaunt my keyboards.

seebart

24 Jan 2016, 00:40

webwit wrote: I just joined to flaunt my keyboards.
You mean you created and "built" this place just to do that...you did a pretty good job! ;) :lol:
jnchnbinib1h9yagwzmw.jpg
jnchnbinib1h9yagwzmw.jpg (80.44 KiB) Viewed 13481 times

webwit
Wild Duck

24 Jan 2016, 01:42

Don't forget the other three horsemen.

Note the matt3o: I see the first post is 29th of January, not the 28th. The 28th is the board install date, I guess we should use the first post date.

Muirium
µ

24 Jan 2016, 03:10

Some nice stuff in DT's own first thread:
sixty wrote:
bugfix wrote:It's hard to find more competent people than you guys when it comes to keyboards, I'm sure this will work out. That you're all based in Europe(?) might turn out to be an advantage.
Heh, thanks :D The Europe part was part of the plan too. We opened the international sub-section for that reason. It seems there are many Germans and French spread out there in the wild, discussing mechanical keyboards in odd hardware forum megathreads. If the userbase grows significantly for a certain language, we might add their own sub forum in the future.
So far, so good!

Getting lost in the noise is the worst. DT's pretty good at preventing that. Most of our threads here are fairly sensible over the long haul (besides a few exceptions, cough). You can usually get the attention here that you need. Depends on the project, not just the time of day and random luck.

The "global" (aka non-US) bias of our user base helps steer things in the right direction. Nothing against Americans (I'm over there right now after all) but when everyone assumes everyone else is from just one country, things go off the rails. Here, we can't all lazily assume deep shared cultural background (especially random brands and memes) but instead actually use words to explain ideas. I think that has a deep underlying influence here. It's just my kind of place!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Jan 2016, 11:12

just for fun
path4603.png
path4603.png (155.45 KiB) Viewed 13419 times

bhtooefr

24 Jan 2016, 14:37

I found Deskthority through Geekhack, really, and I joined up just for the sake of joining. Then, my first post was asking webwit about his Sega Teradrive keyboard, but it was almost a year later that I really decided to join Deskthority as a community - Geekhack's community had gone massively downhill, there were constant security incidents, and Deskthority seemed a lot more promising. So, I migrated my content over to Deskthority, and while I can't say that I didn't look back (although, after the r00tw0rm incident, it took a very long time before I bothered to log back into Geekhack), I can say that Deskthority became my home keyboard forum as of 2012-04-02.

Ray

24 Jan 2016, 15:51

I got here the first time, when hackaday featured that thread about split orthogonal custom layouts.
I forgot about mechanical keyboards until I wanted a new keyboard and remembered that thread. I lurked a lot until I got my prototype working (another thanks here to hasu) and was already knee deep into this nice community before signing up for my first post.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

24 Jan 2016, 16:08

Discussion about ergonomic keyboards brought here. Now I don't own any ergonomic keyboards.

I stick around for...okay I'm not sure why I stick around.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

24 Jan 2016, 17:19

I learned about it from Ripsters 55's bashing on the r/mk subreddit, but I truly discovered it while searching for my first model F.

Quickly I realized that this site was the best in terms of community, UI, and style. :)

Muirium
µ

24 Jan 2016, 17:53

What's 55's?

TheNacho
delicious.

24 Jan 2016, 17:56

I don't even remember how I came here. But I am happy, that I chose DT over a certain other forum to be the one I frequently traffic :D

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

24 Jan 2016, 18:49

I came here a bit under two years ago and I found the site via the wiki. I enjoy this community the most because it's more about the hobby and not who has the fanciest keycap, the most expensive keyboard, etc. I also love the focus on vintage keyboards as opposed to the more modern ones. I'm not sure at what point I began to prefer DT to the others, but I'm glad I did. It's exactly why I joined the DT Club!
Last edited by Blaise170 on 24 Jan 2016, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.

idollar
i$

24 Jan 2016, 19:03

The spacebar of my black dell AT-101W broke. I did not know the type of switches inside that keyboard. I was holding to it for more than 10 years, hiding it from the IT team when the office computer was replaced. On this date, and after typing 10 seconds on the rubber dome that the same IT team offered as the standard keyboard, I decided to search for one of these IBMs that I remembered to be so good ... and I found DT.

From this point to birth of the first FSSK there are 14 months.

Congratulations DTers

HzFaq

24 Jan 2016, 20:31

Holy shit, I came here nearly 5 years ago looking for a replacement capslock/spacebar so I could use a set of Cherry doubleshots on my Filco as seen here, along with my first taste of Access. Joined round 3 and IIRC my order went from around €20 for a few caps up to €300ish for a few sets, all the way back down to around €20 again in the space of about a month. I soon bought a PokerX off of another user here and joined the first Phantom GB and it has been downhill ever since :D.

Thanks for all the good times lads, lets hope for 5 more years at least :D.

mtl

24 Jan 2016, 20:32

I followed a link over from GH and immediately liked the clean theme design. Looking back at webwit's and sixty's first posts, I now realize their intentional effort to simplify the forum categories played a big part as well. The people here have been great, having a well integrated, proper wiki has really paid off, and overall it's been a consistently great place to collaborate and share information and ideas.

hoggy

24 Jan 2016, 21:06

Luckily for me, Ascaii invited me over from geekhack.

Return to “Deskthority talk”