On making "great finds" private to registered users only

elecplus

15 Feb 2016, 03:34

As far as a "Wanted" spreadsheet for keyboards, why not? It worked fairly well when I tried it, except for those few nameless people who removed others so they could be higher up the list. But then there is the problem, you have 2 of a certain keyboard, and 3 or more people wanting it. Do you go by the order of the spreadsheet, or by who bid highest, or by who has given you successful buys before? For a peaceful and understanding community, this place can get full of sharks quickly when something interesting pops up! :mrgreen: I seem to recall about 27 pages of ME! ME! ME! when I had the beamsprings. It was a bit tamer with the NIB SSKs.

elecplus

15 Feb 2016, 03:55

As far as making this thread visible to club members only, I think that defeats the purpose of this community. We share almost everything from code to vendor info, to how to find special items. I made the list of known IBM PN available to all, and even posted several hints on how to find the keyboards online. I also posted how to tell if an online vendor really exists, or is just selling someone else's list that they rented. At he same time, I sold you guys several thousand keyboards. I was not a member for more than a day, and I had no previous posts. So if those restricts had been in place, you would never have seen my keyboards. GH has that rule, and I never posted there because of it.

If there were a section, publicly available, that listed members and their want lists in some sort of easily readable or searchable format, then if a club member finds something good, they can PM the interested parties from the list, and wait a day before posting it to the forum. Would that work?

As far as hidden, or password protected, this one really turned me off.https://www.keychatter.com/store/
If you want to sell things, then sell them!

ohaimark
Kingpin

15 Feb 2016, 04:13

Glad to see some other people onboard with the wanted list idea.

kokokoy

15 Feb 2016, 04:21

elecplus wrote: As far as hidden, or password protected, this one really turned me off.https://www.keychatter.com/store/
I believe its not opened yet after the site had been transferred/bought by livingspeedbump. As far as I recall he has plan to open but was really tied up.

elecplus

15 Feb 2016, 04:23

Programmers, how hard would it be to come up with a list of all the keyboards from the Wiki and that have been posted on the forum, put them into some sort of formatted list with additional info such as type of switch, format, picture, etc., and then allow paid members to attach their name to ones they would like to have? Additionally, if someone has one of these boards to sell, can a small routine be made whereby the seller can send one group PM to everyone who attached their name to that keyboard?

This would also work for the group finds thread, where if someone finds a board for sale elsewhere, he/she can PM the interested members? Then maybe wait a day before posting it to the thread?

elecplus

15 Feb 2016, 04:27

kokokoy wrote:
elecplus wrote: As far as hidden, or password protected, this one really turned me off.https://www.keychatter.com/store/
I believe its not opened yet after the site had been transferred/bought by livingspeedbump. As far as I recall he has plan to open but was really tied up.
I meant no disrespect to livingspeedbump. If the shop is not ready yet, he can make that portion unavailable, or put a "coming soon" notice, or something? To see that you have to login, but there are no blaring SIGN UP HERE links or anything, makes things a bit frustrating.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

15 Feb 2016, 05:18

From a programming standpoint, having a community spreadsheet is really easy, but keeping others from editing it would pose a problem. It'd be like Google Docs, but having to restrict privileges would prevent people from writing anything. So you either give people full write access, or none.

bhtooefr

16 Feb 2016, 05:03

Well, with Google Docs, you can create a form to fill out, to get on the wanted list. Then, make the spreadsheet view only.

The form feeds the spreadsheet in this approach, so you can add to the sheet, but you can't delete other people's records.

ohaimark
Kingpin

16 Feb 2016, 05:31

Like this?

http://goo.gl/forms/AzZxpT3pNA

Spreadsheet output:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Edit: All we'd need to do would be a monthly (or so) deletion of the document. It would mean regular re-entries in the form, but that's the price we'd pay for moving it outside the forum software. Ctrl + F will allow searches for relevant terms.

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

16 Feb 2016, 10:21

I'm unsure if we really need a spreadsheet when you can open a thread in the marketplace to show interest in buying the stuff you want.

Can't hurt to have spreadsheets but it's gonna be an hassle to keep up with the entire communities needs, if everyone decides to adopt this method.

elecplus

18 Feb 2016, 21:10

Maybe there could be a tab at the top for wanted? That way all the wanted items would be together. Once someone has obtained their item, they can delete the post, so the area stays clean.

tentator

18 Feb 2016, 21:42

I'd add also a cap_set column :)

ohaimark
Kingpin

18 Feb 2016, 23:07

Keycaps/Sets column added. Remember that the spreadsheet is sort of a beta -- I'd want an elected club official to handle it down the road.

I figured that we'd just do monthly wipes of the spreadsheet... Giving members editing rights could cause issues.

Return to “Deskthority talk”