On making "great finds" private to registered users only

bubblebobbler

10 Feb 2016, 22:39

webwit wrote: I'm sure it happens. Hell I even posted a rare beamspring I found on marktplaats here of which I closed the sale, made an appointment with the seller, and then someone contacted the seller and made him abandon the deal. So let's be clear, yeah this is currently all posted on the Open Internet, and there are bastards out there, reading this as we speak, being annoyed about the noise.
good lord that's a low thing to do

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

10 Feb 2016, 22:39

webwit wrote: I'm sure it happens. Hell I even posted a rare beamspring I found on marktplaats here of which I closed the sale, made an appointment with the seller, and then someone contacted the seller and made him abandon the deal.
I remember that webwit, you know I was so desperate for that IBM Terminal I kept sending that guy PM's for months. I even complained to Marktplaats since I was the highest bidder in the end. No use. Gone. :cry:

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Feb 2016, 22:42

Yeah I didn't even try to get that one for myself (I already had one of those) but to secure it for someone in the community at a great price. We had some fun teaching that guy a lesson though ;)

tentator

10 Feb 2016, 22:46

I also wanted to give my opinion about the recent discussions on the future of this thread:
So far I really enjoyed a lot this thread that didn't exist years back when I registered and that so far helped me a lot in learning and getting more experience about keyboards in general.. before this forum was purely for my DIY projects on keyboards (unbeatable and unvaluable for this) nonetheless I think that changing the visibility of the thread would kind of damage the philosophy/spirit of this forum.. in general this is something I saw happening also in many other forums, ruining them.. one in particular which I also lead as founder and admin in Italy, a rather big vbulletin based one, and from my experience I think one should always refrain in doing limitations... if it will come to a vote I'd anyways think that the worst of all decisions would be something that ties it to number of posts and the like... that would definitely just hurt and do damage with no advantages...
what else? yeah, as said, we are all humans after all, right? :)
Otherwise this thread is probably also just dangerous for the pockets and for the amount of time needed to follow it.. but since it is so addicting... well.. how to stop?? ;)

tentator

10 Feb 2016, 22:48

And I also wanted to admit that I really would have loved the caps of a Nixie, which I missed some days ago because I arrived too late (or when it was too expensive for me) [if interested the guy apparently "found" some 5 more of them and now tries to offer them for 250!! http://www.ebay.de/itm/SIEMENS-NIXDORF- ... 1890265651 ] but hey that's the fun of life and of internet, right?

and by the way maybe someone who is interested in the switches only will sell me the caps.. who knows.. ;)

EDIT: ok also on a auction now: http://www.ebay.de/itm/SIEMENS-NIXDORF- ... 1890541123 so probably he has 6 more.. ;)
Last edited by tentator on 10 Feb 2016, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.

seebart

10 Feb 2016, 22:52

tentator wrote: And I also wanted to admit that I really would have loved the caps of a Nixie, which I missed some days ago because I arrived too late (or when it was too expensive for me) [if interested the guy apparently "found" some 5 more of them and now tries to offer them for 250!! http://www.ebay.de/itm/SIEMENS-NIXDORF- ... SwQYZWuy1o ] but hey that's the fun of life and of internet, right?

and by the way maybe someone who is interested in the switches only will sell me the caps.. who knows.. ;)
That's the same seller I got mine from, I already PM'd him asking how many he's got and if he's looking to sell the lot. He raised the price by x10. He's got pictures with pulled keycaps up now, he knows what he's got. :cry:
Es handelt sich hier um eine Lagerauflösung die ich durchführen soll.
Es sind jede Menge Teile und Peripherie von
SIEMENS NIXDORF
vorhanden:
Quattro ++ Targon ++ RM400 ++ MX300 ++ POS2000
Beetle Kassensysteme ++ Festplatten ++ SMC ++ Streming Tapes
Hand-Scanner ++ Tisch-Scanner ++ Streming Bänder ++ Cartridge
Inhouse / V.24 Karten ++ Controller ALME IPC etc..
ND11, ND48, ND49, BA80, Tastaturen
etc etc etc....

Einfach nachfragen!!!
I guess he's got plenty more.
Last edited by seebart on 10 Feb 2016, 22:57, edited 2 times in total.

scottc

10 Feb 2016, 22:54

tentator wrote: And I also wanted to admit that I really would have loved the caps of a Nixie, which I missed some days ago because I arrived too late (or when it was too expensive for me) [if interested the guy apparently "found" some 5 more of them and now tries to offer them for 250!! http://www.ebay.de/itm/SIEMENS-NIXDORF- ... SwQYZWuy1o ] but hey that's the fun of life and of internet, right?

I've already offered the keycaps of mine to someone who I know was looking for them before, but if they no longer want them then you can have them. :)

tentator

10 Feb 2016, 22:55

scottc wrote:

I've already offered the keycaps of mine to someone who I know was looking for them before, but if they no longer want them then you can have them. :)
yes, please :) I really find them lovely!

(EDIT: and btw so I'm surely not giving any money to that guy full of nixies that is already buying champagne...)
Last edited by tentator on 10 Feb 2016, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Feb 2016, 22:58

tentator wrote: I also wanted to give my opinion about the recent discussions on the future of this thread:
So far I really enjoyed a lot this thread that didn't exist years back when I registered and that so far helped me a lot in learning and getting more experience about keyboards in general.. before this forum was purely for my DIY projects on keyboards (unbeatable and unvaluable for this) nonetheless I think that changing the visibility of the thread would kind of damage the philosophy/spirit of this forum.. in general this is something I saw happening also in many other forums, ruining them.. one in particular which I also lead as founder and admin in Italy, a rather big vbulletin based one, and from my experience I think one should always refrain in doing limitations... if it will come to a vote I'd anyways think that the worst of all decisions would be something that ties it to number of posts and the like... that would definitely just hurt and do damage with no advantages...
This and some of the other replies is why I don't think the "fix" for the problem is worth the price.

I wouldn't mind a very, very small private section for club members only, but only for some stuff which needs to stay private for technical reasons and such from the open internet and even registered members. So far, there has been only one time I needed such a place to discuss something with club members, so it's hardly a pressing issue.

Slom

10 Feb 2016, 23:00

That bullshit AGAIN guys? Lets view It from the point of view of those guys posting here: When I post something here *I WANT IT TO BE PUBLIC*. Who are you to tell me who my posts should be visible to? And yes I did post at least one Keyboard here (that I can remember).

BTW: the one Keyboard I bought after it was posted here ... I would not even have seen without this thread, bc/ Shitbay doesnt show me Items from American sellers who dont ship to Germany. (And nobody really wanted it either ... so I did not take it away from anyone)

Those MX keycap collectors are ripe for the loony bin anyway ... with or without this thread :D

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Feb 2016, 23:04

Slom wrote: Who are you to tell me who my posts should be visible to?
Haha, I like you. :D

tentator

10 Feb 2016, 23:05

Slom wrote: That bullshit AGAIN guys? Lets view It from the point of view of those guys posting here: When I post something here *I WANT IT TO BE PUBLIC*. Who are you to tell me who my posts should be visible to? And yes I did post at least one Keyboard here (that I can remember).

BTW: the one Keyboard I bought after it was posted here ... I would not even have seen without this thread, bc/ Shitbay doesnt show me Items from American sellers who dont ship to Germany. (And nobody really wanted it either ... so I did not take it away from anyone)

Those MX keycap collectors are ripe for the loony bin anyway ... with or without this thread :D
lol

and this threads are also a lot of fun in general.. maybe in future they will be used to show to the next generations how the human nature is! :)

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

10 Feb 2016, 23:07

Slom wrote: *I WANT IT TO BE PUBLIC*
I don't mind posting things here, I just think you should at least be registered to view the thread. It literally only takes 5 minutes to make an account if you don't already have one. How much would it help? Probably not much, but the least someone can do is register to view the deals methinks.

tentator

10 Feb 2016, 23:08

(yes, if you read this thread it's clear that human nature can be selfish and altruistic at the same moment, It's just as we are.. nothing can change it anyways..)

tentator

10 Feb 2016, 23:09

and btw.. what is so nice about the TRS80? the caps, don't say me the switches, right? :)

ohaimark
Kingpin

10 Feb 2016, 23:17

Some people are especially unscrupulous... Remember the rash of Gold Label Omnikeys that were up for auction (with bids), then disappeared? Two of the three were posted here.

I'd rather a forum member beat me in a bidding war -- having a random mouth breather from the rest of the internet do so is annoying. In addition, if the lurkers want to keep stealing deals, we can tax them for their efforts.

You Europeans are all about taxes, right? ;)

Edit: I think having a members-only section and a public section would be fair.
Last edited by ohaimark on 10 Feb 2016, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

lolpes

10 Feb 2016, 23:18

Wow more nixies and look, price went up :/ again if someone who bought from the lot of boads sold wants to sell me 45 switches i would be very gratefull :)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

10 Feb 2016, 23:35

seebart wrote:
tentator wrote: […] a Nixie, which I missed some days ago […] the guy apparently "found" some 5 more of them and now tries to offer them for 250!! […]
That's the same seller I got mine from, […] He raised the price by x10. He's got pictures with pulled keycaps up now, he knows what he's got. :cry: […]
Now guess why.
Wondering about the sudden interest, he just had to google "siemens nixdorf keyboard" and found this thread at once.
Isn’t that a perfect illustration of my point?
Every idiot kann read this thread and take advantage of it.
This time it was a seller, usually it will be someone similarly not interested in DT.

seebart

10 Feb 2016, 23:40

Yes that's a point kbdfr, BUT he may also find other sources like GH, reddit etc. So what do you suggest? Restricting this thread to a members read only policy? Forbidding everyone else to post their findings anywhere? That's not what DT is about IMO. Besides... :lol: :mrgreen: :evilgeek:
njj6e5.jpg
njj6e5.jpg (33.25 KiB) Viewed 14628 times
Last edited by seebart on 10 Feb 2016, 23:43, edited 2 times in total.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Feb 2016, 23:45

seebart wrote: Forbidding everyone else to post their findings anywhere?
Indeed, if we'd move interesting finds to a walled section, someone would start a competing open topic, and then someone would want to forbid that, pissing off other people, and... Pandora's box.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

10 Feb 2016, 23:51

we can always have a members only similar thread if we really wanted, but I feel this should live as it is. with all the good and the bad it brings.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

10 Feb 2016, 23:57

webwit wrote:
Indeed, if we'd move interesting finds to a walled section, someone would start a competing open topic, and then someone would want to forbid that, pissing off other people, and... Pandora's box.
You’ve got a point there

tentator

10 Feb 2016, 23:59

webwit wrote:
in the end it is all entropy and ok to open that section but what is definitely bad is to try to forbid to post outside (just because it does not make sense)

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Feb 2016, 00:21

tentator wrote: in the end it is all entropy and ok to open that section but what is definitely bad is to try to forbid to post outside (just because it does not make sense)
*Raises dramatic voice, SW VIII spoiler* And matt3o turned into Emperor matt3o, ruling the deskthority galaxy with his mods Darth 7bit and Darth Demongolator to scan all topics for mentions of interesting finds, and first give official but firm warnings to the rebels, and then to tempo or perma ban them to oblivion. Ok, I'll stop now.

seebart

11 Feb 2016, 00:26

webwit wrote:
tentator wrote: in the end it is all entropy and ok to open that section but what is definitely bad is to try to forbid to post outside (just because it does not make sense)
*Raises dramatic voice, SW VIII spoiler* And matt3o turned into Emperor matt3o, ruling the deskthority galaxy with his mods Darth 7bit and Darth Demongolator to scan all topics for mentions of interesting finds, and first give official but firm warnings to the rebels, and then to tempo or perma ban them to oblivion. Ok, I'll stop now.
:shock:

You missed using the term "rebel scum"! :lol:

Muirium
µ

11 Feb 2016, 00:28

webwit wrote:
*Raises dramatic voice, SW VIII spoiler* And matt3o turned into Emperor matt3o, ruling the deskthority galaxy with his mods Darth 7bit and Darth Demongolator…
Nice. Can I be Lando Calrissian? I'm cool with hanging on either side.

seebart

11 Feb 2016, 00:37

Muirium wrote: Nice. Can I be Lando Calrissian? I'm cool with hanging on either side.
Lando was a good guy, he admitted to being bought out by the empire if I recall. Way too tame for you. :mrgreen:
Spoiler:
Lando_jubelt.jpg
Lando_jubelt.jpg (111.6 KiB) Viewed 14895 times

Crazy Canadian XXIV

11 Feb 2016, 02:12

Redmaus wrote: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibm-Model-F-Key ... Swe7BWu0T0

Whoever buys this I really want to buy those numpad and caps lock keys. Pretty please? :P

EDIT: I'm just gonna offer him 80$ and see how it goes.
Here's hoping you get it, it's got the same caps as mine! And no, you can't have them, even if/when I replace them :evilgeek:
guk wrote: Leave this thread as it is, create a club only one like Halvar (and others) suggested.
Every club member decides on his/her own where to post an item. Can't possibly blame DT for that if someone rather shares the finds with people who actually have some presence.
Just gonna echo Guk's words real quick. I figure this to be an ideal solution, as it addresses the issue at hand without stepping on anyone's toes. And hopefully I won't have to touch the subject ever again!

Halvar

11 Feb 2016, 09:50

Slom wrote: Who are you to tell me who my posts should be visible to?
Exactly. That's why two options are better than one. :roll:

sealtian

11 Feb 2016, 10:12

Dernubenfrieken wrote: As a relatively new member, and someone who primarily goes on this forum to look at this thread and a handful of others, I'd be sad to see it go club member only. To be honest, I'm not looking for deals on this thread, but for interesting/unique boards along with information on unique switches and such.

Also this seems to be the most active thread on the whole forum, not allowing new members to see it will make this forum seem even less lively.
Very well expressed. I too like seeing the variety of items on that thread, and that it is an active flow.

If it did become hidden, I wonder could there be a non-club member thread of these things after their auctions have ended?

Return to “Deskthority talk”