In need for moderators?

shreebles
Finally 60%

09 Mar 2016, 10:59

I volunteer as a tribute! I mean moderator! Sorry, spam remover...

Have some experience with moderating small (yes, smaller than DT) forums. Other than that mostly as a regular on several bigger forums. I noticed that recently I spent a lot more time on DT than elsewhere, and it has easily become my favorite forum. So I would love to help with securing the greatness of DT :mrgreen:

zuglufttier

25 Apr 2016, 13:39

I think this would take care of the whole problem: https://www.google.com/recaptcha

It should be wrapped around register.php because after that, there's not a lot of spamming going on ;)

For the average user to register it means only one click more.

webwit
Wild Duck

25 Apr 2016, 15:54

One can set different anti-spam methods for registration in phpBB (including the older recaptcha), we tried them in the beginning and non of them worked as well as the "security question". My theory is they harvest phpBB registration urls, and the security method is beaten by humans. If one uses a standard method, they recognize those methods. A security question provides context, which confuses them, without reading the actual form and additional research.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Apr 2016, 16:05

I believe the current system we use and recaptcha are basically the same (in preventing spam). They both require a human to be solved, the difference is that recaptcha can be beaten by anyone, our questions require some googling if you are not keyboard-proficient

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

25 Apr 2016, 16:10

I think we're doing pretty well in our spam fight, not sure if we need recaptcha. We have enough users keeping a lookout who then PM matt3o.

cookie

25 Apr 2016, 17:55

Muirium wrote: Let's not rush too quickly. I'd like a bunch of candidates to stand up first. Especially those who remind me of chocolate…
I'd love to help, do I remind you enough of chocolate? :D

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

25 Apr 2016, 18:21

He meant someone else cookie!

cookie

25 Apr 2016, 19:38

Uhh okay :(

kbdfr
The Tiproman

25 Apr 2016, 19:48

:lol: