HiDPI/retina/CSS issues

flabbergast

11 Jun 2016, 20:09

Hi folks - feel free to correct me if the problem is on my side (very likely), but DT looks weird for me when I am on HiDPI on linux.

Imgur album here.

There are 4 screenshots in the album above: "Native" DT, "native" other forum (phpbb-based I think), "2x-zoom" DT, "2x-zoom" other forum. You can see that the phpbb-based one is OK in the sense that everything has correct relative sizes (but it is tiny because the resolution is huge), and then 2x-zoom brings it to the usable/normal size. DT's relative sizes are kinda wrong.

On my own website there were mismatches like these happening because I used a mix of "fixed" (e.g. px) and "relative" (e.g. '%' or 'em'). If everything was "fixed", then the site would look tiny in the native HiDPI (much like that phpbb-based forum) and zoom correctly; however I've converted everything to '%' and 'em', and now the site looks the same whether on normal resolution or HiDPI.

HiDPI (in my case 227 DPI) is not very well supported in general, but I managed to get my linux going somewhat OK (X has correct DPI set, xft as well, etc...). Webpages are quite a different matter. Some of them are OK, some are not. DT is not.

Finally: DT looks fine on my retina macbook; it only gets weird when I go into linux and use the native resolution in a browser.

EDIT: I've tested now that if I enforce 96dpi in the browser, things go back to "fine" in the sense that everything is uniformly small (and can be zoomed). However it would be probably nice if this hack wouldn't have to be applied ;)

zuglufttier

28 Jul 2016, 09:57

There is definetely something going on with your installation, see my screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/J0b3e

I use Archlinux with KDE 5, everything get's scaled to 150% and I also zoomed in on firefox a fair bit on one of the screenshots. I used some tiling window managers before that and never had issues.

True, deskthority is not quite up to date with a responsive design but it works reasonably well if you zoom in or just scale everything on your desktop.

The resolution on my Thinkpad X1 Carbon is 3200x1800 on 13.3" so even a higher DPI than your display. Web sites look gorgeous for me!

Return to “Deskthority talk”