A few forum modification ideas

Moogle Stiltzkin

18 Feb 2011, 16:23

Here are some of my ideas for some good forum modifications

1. new posts made counter without having to F5 refresh manually all the time

- Ok, on the usual forum i visit http://forum.lowyat.net

they have this mod that shows on the top right when a new post has been made inside a thread. So you don't need to keep hitting refresh all the time to know that someone posted a new message.

It will have a counter showing how many new posts in that thread since you last refreshed. It may seem like a small thing, but it's pretty convenient :}

2. thank you counter

- sometimes people just want to thank someone, so rather than just posting saying thanks, why not have a button to click to say thanks and it groups up all the thanks under one post. Saves on server space and reduces spam.

3. bump mod

- example in the market forum, maybe buyer or seller wants to bump their thread to the top by posting something. This leads to spam and abuse. So why not add a bump mod that is only usable in the market area only. Also people are restricted to bumping ONCE per day. People who post messages unnecessarily to bump their thread to the top, should be warned not to do so. As everyone should get a fair share of being listed on top :} Hence the bump button feature.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on 18 Feb 2011, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.

bugfix

18 Feb 2011, 16:26

I second this motion. Although I'm surprised there's internet access in Malaysia. :P

Moogle Stiltzkin

18 Feb 2011, 16:30

i just updated to group up a few forum mod ideas.

I use forums a lot i even moderated a few forums before, so i got a good idea what a forum needs :}

I almost suggested we have a forum chatbox, but thats probably moving too fast. But i do think the other 3 forum mod suggestions could be rather useful for everyday usage :mrgreen:

Well about Malaysian internet, it was like 1mbps and below during the 90s. Everything got to be 2mb-4mb ADSL during the early 2000s.

Very recently we now have 5mbps-10mbps FTTH in some areas (i'm in one of these hotspots :mrgreen: )

Malaysian internet isn't that great but it's getting there.

bugfix

18 Feb 2011, 16:52

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Very recently we now have 5mbps-10mbps FTTH in some areas (i'm in one of these hotspots :mrgreen: )

Well, that's at least something. :lol:

itlnstln

18 Feb 2011, 16:58

We're still on dial-up in Texas. I just got a new modem:

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Feb 2011, 17:00

We're planning some forum spy system to keep track of things. There's already a bump system in place, it is currently set on three days I think. A little hammer icon appears on the top right of the page next to the text size icon.

Minskleip

18 Feb 2011, 20:43

I need work! You can pay me in keyboards ;)

sixty
Gasbag Guru

18 Feb 2011, 20:45

Are you a web developer? Do you accept G81s as payment? Welcome! :D

keyboardlover

18 Feb 2011, 20:47

I'm a developer and willing to help out as needed...=)

Minskleip

18 Feb 2011, 20:48

Not without keycaps hehe. I've done webstuff in the past, but calling me a webdeveloper would be lieing.

(The joke was to monitor the posts manually)

British

08 Mar 2011, 15:49

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:2. thank you counter
Deskthority to be the next OCN ? :twisted:

ripster

12 Mar 2011, 06:56

My favorite OCN rep feedback (Currently near 100, exceeding the combined Rep scores of Deskthority.net's entire admin team)
Mechanical Keyboard Guide 03-09-11 08:43 AM you speak truth in every post.
My 2nd favorite
Weirdest Issue Ever 01-12-11 07:40 PM You're a loser.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

12 Mar 2011, 07:47

ripster wrote:My favorite OCN rep feedback (Currently near 100, exceeding the combined Rep scores of Deskthority.net's entire admin team)
Actually combined we reach a rep of 100! You're a loser!

Return to “Deskthority talk”