Forum Rules and Etiquette

Moogle Stiltzkin

19 Feb 2011, 10:46

Ok, i did not see any forum rules dealing specifically with etiquette e.g.

1. do not spam (There are varying degrees of spam, some malicious, others just harmless chatter, so the response against these varying degrees of spam should be set as well).

2. don't troll (if you don't like that person keep to yourself, but theres no good reason to act like a douche and troll around on the same person repeatedly *cough cough)

3. racism and harassment not tolerated

I guess that covers most of it. My point is that a forum without rules doesn't gain much respect. So a forum's reputation depends on how fair admins are, and whether the peace is kept so that the people in it remain civil.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

19 Feb 2011, 10:54

With the admins consisting mainly of three of the biggest asshats in the keyboard business and one niceguy (that would be you, Mr.Interface :D), there won't be much discussion needed here. If we feel the need to moderate, we will. However, you will likely have to try hard to reach our limits.

The stuff you mentioned should be common sense for everyone half decent minded. Blatant things like that will be taken care of, actually they already are being taken care of (already banned a few spam bots and such).

In fact having no rules specified is part of the plan since the start. I did not like the introduction of those rules over at geekhack too much. I'll attach a discussion from our dev forum from when we first planned out this thing:

keyboardlover

19 Feb 2011, 14:49

Can I report Moogle for creating this thread?

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

19 Feb 2011, 14:55

We can use him as banhammer practice.

I think any substantial problems should be handled on a case by case basis. Rules are useful if you have a huge forum with tens of thousands of members were you need some degree of automation of fair play and cop on, but on a smaller forum it's just stifling.

keyboardlover

19 Feb 2011, 16:09

I think Classifieds forums should have a rule that you can only sell items that you PERSONALLY own
*cough* Moogle *cough*

Moogle Stiltzkin

19 Feb 2011, 18:50

Well i'd love to participate in the forum discussions, but not if it's having to put up with trolls who want to relieve stress by harassing others online because they have deep personal issues *cough keyboardlover *cough*

keyboardlover

19 Feb 2011, 19:12

And that's not supposed to be trolling?? If you don't want to participate, don't. Pretty simple.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

19 Feb 2011, 23:17

The goal to a happy online life is to just learn to ignore and live up with trolls. To practice this, I suggest installing Linux on your machine, then having a discussion about it with user "Microsoft Windows" on geekhack. Alternatively you can PM ripster and tell him his white balance is off.

If you do that for two weeks every day, you will have no more issues with trolls.

ripster

21 Feb 2011, 01:24

My white balance is off?

Time to Recalibrate!

What's a troll?

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Feb 2011, 01:29

It's a contest where ripster ends in second place.

microsoft windows

21 Feb 2011, 19:01

sixty wrote:The goal to a happy online life is to just learn to ignore and live up with trolls. To practice this, I suggest installing Linux on your machine, then having a discussion about it with user "Microsoft Windows" on geekhack. Alternatively you can PM ripster and tell him his white balance is off.

If you do that for two weeks every day, you will have no more issues with trolls.
I've got nothing against Linux. It plays an important role in computing. Windows does too.

As they've always said...

Linux: "Sorry, I'm busy keeping the Internet running."

Windows: "Sorry, I'm busy keeping the world running."

Mac: "Sorry, I'm busy making slideshows."

sixty
Gasbag Guru

21 Feb 2011, 19:16

Holy snap its MW!

ripster

21 Feb 2011, 19:31

TIL (Today I Learned) that this forum has a "Foes" list.

It seems to act like an ignore list. I was hoping for something better.

bugfix

21 Feb 2011, 19:35

?

keyboardlover

21 Feb 2011, 19:41

sixty wrote:Holy snap its MW!
And I was enjoying this forum so much...thanks for nothing Ripster!

microsoft windows

21 Feb 2011, 20:16

Now you can enjoy it even more.

I help you get the most out of your computer by making it easier to use, and more entertaining!
Last edited by microsoft windows on 22 Feb 2011, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.

Minskleip

22 Feb 2011, 02:19

Windows 98 sucked so much. ME was a huge improvement. Why don't you try that?

keyboardlover

22 Feb 2011, 02:23

Lol @ "Estimated time remaining: 43 minutes". Win 7 installs so fast it's unbelievable.

ripster

24 Feb 2011, 00:21

Hey, no fair. When removing MW from my "Foes" list I spotted this. What about obnoxious administrators?
Manage foes

Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators.

microsoft windows

24 Feb 2011, 00:23

Good thing you're not an admin here.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

24 Feb 2011, 01:08

You will have to mentally ignore us.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

24 Feb 2011, 02:07

It is good to be King.

ripster

25 Feb 2011, 08:13

microsoft windows wrote:Good thing you're not an admin here.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

25 Feb 2011, 18:39

I can always give Ripster admin powers in exchange for his NIB Model F and NIB Industrial SSK . Till then...

microsoft windows

25 Feb 2011, 21:22

You nearly gave me a heart attack!

woody
Count Troller

26 Feb 2011, 00:38

Ohai, I herd u liek trolz.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

26 Feb 2011, 00:39

Welcome to the cave!

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Feb 2011, 00:46

Welcome woody! I need to take some pictures of the keyboard you generously gave me and post them.

ripster

02 Mar 2011, 23:51

Where's Moogle?

I was looking forward to trolling him per the OP.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Mar 2011, 23:54

I think he left when we did not take the drastic moderation steps he requested :roll:

Return to “Deskthority talk”