DT Awards 2018

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Nov 2018, 17:55

I'll take care of them this year because if I don't we won't have any DT Awards and I can't let that happen.

That also means that this year will be the Austerity Edition. I'm thinking to limit the sections to possibly 4-5.

The idea would be:

- Deskthority awards (super category person, project, keyboard, switch, whatever)
- Best project or innovation (from a company or the community)
- Best keycap or keycaps set (includes artisan caps)
- Best vintage keyboard or relic (includes best find)

That's it. I'm open to suggestions but things must move fast, in a few days I'll open the official forum section, rules and all. Also if you have an idea for a "theme" for this year's just let me know.

Please, no drama or I'll close everything and keep the prizes.

Muirium
µ

13 Nov 2018, 18:00

I like the focus. Those 4 categories sound just about right to me. Less categories is more contest.

depletedvespene

13 Nov 2018, 18:07

Excellent (although I kinda lament the elimination of the ping category). Also, I'd explicitly leave the artisan caps out OR include explicit measures to inhibit vote stacking or manipulations of some kind, as happened with them last year.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Nov 2018, 18:10

artisan caps goes into keycaps. the ping is just source of drama. I can't handle drama.

scottc

13 Nov 2018, 18:46

Nomination for ping award: matt3o killing off the ping award.

depletedvespene

13 Nov 2018, 18:48

scottc wrote: Nomination for ping award: matt3o killing off the ping award.
Wouldn't that be metaping?

Anyway, the ping award, if run, will surely go to the BOX switches fiasco. Let's acclaim THAT as the winner right away and move along.

chuckdee

13 Nov 2018, 19:00

depletedvespene wrote:

Anyway, the ping award, if run, will surely go to the BOX switches fiasco. Let's acclaim THAT as the winner right away and move along.
Agreed. Love the idea of the more focused categories. I never got a response on what was needed, but if you need some help, reach out. I'll help shoulder some of the load if need be.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Nov 2018, 19:07

I'm very tempted to bring the ping back, but I don't think it would bring anything to the table... so I guess it's okay to proceed without

elecplus

13 Nov 2018, 19:09

Thanks, Matteo, for doing this!

Hypersphere

13 Nov 2018, 19:23

Thanks, matt3o. You're a champion!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Nov 2018, 19:28

thank you guys. I took this one for the team.

Findecanor

13 Nov 2018, 22:44

matt3o wrote: - Best keycap or keycaps set (includes artisan caps)
Please, no drama or I'll close everything and keep the prizes.
Haha. Good luck.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Nov 2018, 13:45

I told you this year's DTA was cheap

PLEASE if you are in contact with anyone that might be interested in sponsoring the event just let me know!

webwit
Wild Duck

15 Nov 2018, 17:06

Wait, no drama?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

15 Nov 2018, 17:08

webwit wrote: Wait, no drama?
:-|

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Nov 2018, 17:09

don't call it on you... actually on me...

Myoth

15 Nov 2018, 17:10

yet

depletedvespene

15 Nov 2018, 17:13

Does jumping the gun early count as such? :?

davkol

15 Nov 2018, 20:56

depletedvespene wrote:

FYI Geekhack was sold to Massdrop.

depletedvespene

15 Nov 2018, 21:18

Good contender, but not even close to the BOX incident.

davkol

15 Nov 2018, 21:53

I strongly disagree. Here's why: both are indicators of systemic issues, one in manufacturing and the other in the community / vendor-customer relationship.

IIRC the history behind Box switches' stems was such that the first customer requested tighter fit or something like that, and Kailh kept it for general production. That says a lot about the design process and it strikes me that it took so many years for something like this to happen (although there had been other issues as well, e.g., with Cherry's tooling). For the record, I'm not invested—whether emotionally, or financially—in GMK keycaps or NovelKeys switches.

Meanwhile, the sale of Geekhack has two layers (both of which boil down to *trust*): how forums are operated, and that there's a huge market for user data. After all, data are the most valuable commodity and an important aspect of the ongoing major social transformation.

Which is more important? Arguably the latter, because it's about people and without the people, there wouldn't be any demand or a debate for starters.

chuckdee

15 Nov 2018, 22:43

People are still on about that? Not sure why people think that it was even about data. It was about maintaining the ecosystem in which they operate.

Return to “Deskthority talk”