Future of DT

Muirium
µ

05 Feb 2022, 23:08

bhtooefr wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 22:52
So, sounds like we've got moderation now, finally... but what does the ownership/funding status of the forum look like? Or the back-end maintenance?
Wrote about it here:

https://forum.nexthority.net/d/68-deskthority-update

The short of it is the forum is still owned by a company, with a tenuous interest in keyboards. They aren’t as terminally indifferent as we feared, but aye it’s still not as good as the old days. DT really needs to own itself.

jhonedk

23 Feb 2022, 09:09

The future of DT information is good for me, very much information is shared on this website. thanks for sharing this information with all of us. I like, and glad. :idea: Kinemaster Mod Apk

Muirium
µ

23 Feb 2022, 09:24

Thanks spammer, that’s so nice to hear! :D

CaesarAZealad

12 Mar 2022, 05:19

As a new user I think it'd be worthwhile sharing the perspective of someone from the outside. I always avoided this and GH because of it's antiquated nature (at least from my own Gen-Z perspective) While ever since I found the wiki it's been an invaluable tool for easing me into this hobby (Along with Chyrosran22 teaching me that there's more switches than just MX * insert surprised pikachu face *), I avoided DT itself due to it being a bit, for lack of a better term, rough. If you ask me giving users an option to dumb it down along with a better mobile site would work wonders. Sand off the more obtuse features, or at least explain them better. Obviously the old guard would hate if you forced it on them (Just look at what happened when reddit did a similar thing) but if you want to bring in new blood it would be a good option to make it more appealing. You have to strike a good balance of dumb enough for new people to not get scared off, but still archaic enough to scare off the glue eaters and not piss off the current user base. Just my two cents though, and I'm still very much wet behind the ears :P

Bjerrk

12 Mar 2022, 06:29

I was drawn to this place because of its antiquated nature :mrgreen:

CaesarAZealad

12 Mar 2022, 13:09

Bjerrk wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 06:29
I was drawn to this place because of its antiquated nature :mrgreen:
Oh there's definitely some charm once you get into it. It's like the hobby itself, at first you're like "Why would anyone use this/these?" and then a year later you find yourself browsing at midnight on your $400 custom keyboard that you sold your kidneys for.

Muirium
µ

12 Mar 2022, 15:19

Let mountain come to Muhammad.

What does this DT for Youngbloods you are imagining actually look like? Care to describe?

Its current form is much friendlier and more understandable to me than Reddit or the other "we are NOT a forum!" platforms that I've seen. Is it the predictable, solid permanence that puts you off? Must everything be a vanishing stream?

Or is it just the old farts? :lol:

Palatino

12 Mar 2022, 15:45

I for one find the appearance and usability of DT less cluttered than GH and Reddit, both which I quickly gave up on. I’m all for a “Quick Guide” tab though to help new users around. That said, there isn’t a plethora of tools and menus really - isn’t it pretty straightforward? Or perhaps it’s the attitude of the user base you’re calling “rough”?! :o There have been sightings of a wild Scotsman assaulting people with tales and images of his collection of IBMery he swapped for half a can of Irn Bru in a Glasgow backstreet in 1993.

Palatino

12 Mar 2022, 15:47

Haha well I was writing my message on a train and waiting for signal to post it, and now I see that very Scotsman has beaten me to it with the same point. Bah!

Muirium
µ

12 Mar 2022, 15:58

The Irn-Bru was better back then, too. They got fair do's.

CaesarAZealad

12 Mar 2022, 16:11

Muirium wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 15:19
What does this DT for Youngbloods you are imagining actually look like? Care to describe?
Nothing too crazy, just maybe add some flashing lights and jingly keys for the Gen-Z types XD
Nah but for real, the forum works but it's very function over form. Not personally a problem for me, but I know if I showed this place to some of my peers they'd act like it was the ruins of some ancient civilization. Problem is, would modernizing actually work, and if it did would it actually be a good thing? There's something to be said about inaccessibility keeping relative quality up. Look at something like r/mk, where the post quality has gone down the tubes. Honestly reading back my messages now I feel like it'd be a terrible idea. You guys are in a niche here that forces you to play to your strengths, trying to be something else really just seems like a great way to drive off existing users and become generally worse off. Still, at least the UI is better than GH :)

Bjerrk

12 Mar 2022, 16:39

This discussion has made me feel very old. And I'm only 30 for God's sake!

The more closely I read the previous posts, the more I realize that I have no idea what young people (ostensibly?) want.

The way I see it, Deskthority is an island of reason in a sea of inane YouTube Tide Pod challenges, Instagrammable booties and Reddit's candy-themed keyboard nightmares.

Is it function over form? Sure is! There's a reason people here like chunky IBM keyboards y'know. ;)

CaesarAZealad

12 Mar 2022, 16:43

Bjerrk wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 16:39
Is it function over form? Sure is! There's a reason people here like chunky IBM keyboards y'know. ;)
Fair enough. Can't argue with quality, and sometimes "ugly" is beautiful :)
This discussion has made me feel very old. And I'm only 30 for God's sake!
Sorry about that :P

Muirium
µ

12 Mar 2022, 17:00

Why does no one ask for the same sexing up of wikis, I wonder? Is it just because all wikis already look like Wikipedia and so folk just haven't had their expectations shaped for them yet?

CaesarAZealad

12 Mar 2022, 20:40

Yeah probably. I remember the first time I saw one of those Fandom.com wikis I was taken off guard for how un-wiki-like it looked.

xxhellfirexx

13 Mar 2022, 11:02

Muirium wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 17:00
Why does no one ask for the same sexing up of wikis, I wonder? Is it just because all wikis already look like Wikipedia and so folk just haven't had their expectations shaped for them yet?
People go to wiki sites to find information they are looking for quickly, then they leave. They are not there to admire how nice the site looks (at least for me).

CaesarAZealad wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 20:40
Yeah probably. I remember the first time I saw one of those Fandom.com wikis I was taken off guard for how un-wiki-like it looked.
Fandom and Reddit like nice, but load slowly and use up more resources than needed, especially on a mobile phone with data. And no, I don't want those auto playing videos at the top of pages.

Muirium
µ

13 Mar 2022, 11:05

xxhellfirexx wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 11:02
I don't want those auto playing videos at the top of pages.
Every page load of DT should auto-play a Chyros video! People would LOVE it! :lol:

Bjerrk

13 Mar 2022, 11:36

Muirium wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 11:05
Every page load of DT should auto-play a Chyros video! People would LOVE it! :lol:
The top banner would be a link to his OnlyFans page I assume?

christkenddy

21 Apr 2022, 14:56

I think the future of DT is bright... :mrgreen:

What other opinion's :?: :?: :?: :?:

Muirium
µ

21 Apr 2022, 15:01

How would you know, I wonder? ;)

christkenddy

23 Apr 2022, 09:38

I know because this thread is too old and still didn't close yet :D

mini militia apk

Muirium
µ

23 Apr 2022, 09:44

christkenddy wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 09:38
I know because this thread is too old and still didn't close yet :D

url=https://spam.com/]size=spam]mini militia apk[/size][/url]

You’re going to have to try harder than that, spammer. :lol:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

23 Apr 2022, 09:59

6 minutes between spamming and banning :mrgreen:

Buttler

07 Jan 2023, 17:12

Hello everyone,

Just recently joined this forum and I think DT has a bride future :D

inozenz

07 Jan 2023, 19:35

Buttler wrote:
Hello everyone,

no

Muirium
µ

07 Jan 2023, 22:09

A brighter future than our spammer. ;)

Strange thread to keep playing the exact same old trick on. Must be a forgetful old soul.

Findecanor

08 Jan 2023, 10:55

Buttler wrote:
DT is getting married? :P

Muirium
µ

08 Jan 2023, 16:46

DT is the new* internet-order Russian bride the whole world can love!

*Well, maybe she’s getting on a bit, and boy does she have opinions! But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, you know. If only she matched her profile pics…

darkcruix

09 Jan 2023, 10:27

Muirium wrote:

*Well, maybe she’s getting on a bit, and boy does she have opinions! But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, you know. If only she matched her profile pics…
Made my day :lol:

depletedvespene

13 Jan 2023, 15:37

Muirium wrote:

Shouldn't we, then, groom the bride, so she won't look as "antiquated", as some have complained?

The above said, I don't feel comfortable referring to DT as a "fora" instead of a "forum". :?

Return to “Deskthority talk”