Future of DT

ifohancroft

03 Oct 2021, 05:50

I completely agree about self-hosted and open source, however I can't really stand the "modern" Discourse types of forums.

Lalaland124

03 Oct 2021, 11:29

lhutton wrote:
03 Oct 2021, 04:04
soyuz wrote:
02 Oct 2021, 12:14
hey don't worry, they've been hard at work on this shop full of low effort cashgrab shitdesigns: https://shop.deskthority.net/
"Make the switch to MX" uhhh ... does he know anything about this community?
The whole thing is just so ironic. I mean here we are arguing whether deskthority is dying or not, while the owners spend their recourses on making dedicated merch that completely misrepresents the community instead of fixing the forum. If no one joins this place, who are they thinking will buy that stuff lol

soyuz

03 Oct 2021, 17:41

>does AMA
>lies through his teeth
>opens up bad store
Attachments
kbcool2.png
kbcool2.png (107.98 KiB) Viewed 869345 times

Half-Saint

03 Oct 2021, 19:45

Holy crap, I don't log in for a month and all hell breaks lose. Well, 10 years was a good stretch...

Polecat

03 Oct 2021, 19:53

soyuz wrote:
03 Oct 2021, 17:41
>does AMA
>lies through his teeth
>opens up bad store
I have a lot less of a problem with a bad store than some of the other ways of monetizing the site. It may be misguided, but there's a big difference between incompetence and corruption, even if the end result is often the same.

soyuz

03 Oct 2021, 23:11

literally nothing he promised has materialised and instead you get a shit shop that is just evidence that the man doesn't understand what this community is, and hasn't even made an attempt to do that in the 7 months he's owned the site

it's not incompetence or corruption, man just doesn't give a flying fuck and wanted a site with a bit of traffic to tack a shop and a blog on

raoulduke-esq

04 Oct 2021, 01:51

soyuz wrote:
wanted a site with a bit of traffic to tack a shop and a blog on
We could all go on strike and stop loading the site.

Has anyone bought a Ctrl Z dad joke t-shirt yet?

lhutton

04 Oct 2021, 02:22

I've noticed the parent company has some job postings WRT to web dev. I don't know if I expect this place to stay as it is for much longer. These types always try to get their money back somehow.

https://www.notion.so/Job-Board-ead17c9 ... 1ee7c122e7

soyuz

04 Oct 2021, 02:45

i note that the job postings aren't advertising free guac. a solid step down.

SK-8K

04 Oct 2021, 02:52

I'll try to learn phpbb, maybe I can make my own forum if things get really bad here.

Polecat

04 Oct 2021, 06:02

soyuz wrote:
literally nothing he promised has materialised and instead you get a shit shop that is just evidence that the man doesn't understand what this community is, and hasn't even made an attempt to do that in the 7 months he's owned the site

it's not incompetence or corruption, man just doesn't give a flying fuck and wanted a site with a bit of traffic to tack a shop and a blog on
For sure nothing that requires knowledge or effort has happened. How about "millennially misguided"? Nothing like sure-thing-get-rich schemes, where everyone else does the work and you can't possibly lose, no matter what. Kids used to grow out of that by 11 or 12, but critical thinking has taken a huge dive lately. Just ask the monkey at the bottom of the pool!

Muirium
µ

04 Oct 2021, 09:33

DROPthority: Keeb Me!

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

04 Oct 2021, 19:54

lhutton wrote:
03 Oct 2021, 05:09
I'm less concerned with the exact software the forum is running to some extent as long as it's something selfhosted and preferably open source. None of this hosted product BS that seems to be popular today.
Haha all of Nexthority is using self-hosted/open-source services for auth, wiki, forum, and landing page. Been managing it myself(as well as another helpful lead dev) and I have to say it's really coming together :D Except for one S3 bucket(not self-hosted).
Muirium wrote:
03 Oct 2021, 01:09
Weezer wrote:
03 Oct 2021, 00:57
TNT wrote:
03 Oct 2021, 00:56

Redmaus (I think) started this one https://forum.nexthority.net
It looks like this site has had two posts in a month.
Indeed. Needs more traction to be a viable second base.

I liked Trev’s forum back when it was running. But not enough to migrate. That’ll take a push. We’ll know it when we see it, I guess.
Me and the lead dev are currently fine tuning a few things before we want to scale the site(purposefully haven't revealed to other kb communities), a more accurate description of nexthority right now is that it's in "beta". We finished a major hurdle recently, in implementing a wiki that is flexible in structure and has an amazing editor. Here is a little demo: https://outline.nexthority.net/share/cf ... 622c3b356d
Also ignore image artifacts, that is a problem with my photo editing software. Next step is superior SSO implementation. 8-)

Don't expect a copy of deskthority though, aside from the "thority" in the name nexthority isn't going the same path as DT.

Muirium
µ

04 Oct 2021, 21:08

I like the austere simplicity of your “outline” wiki. Wikimedia wikis have always struck me as ugly, from the start.

The name NeXTthority, though, well… I like it. Because it makes me think NeXTSTEP forum!

Palatino

04 Oct 2021, 22:50

The name is snappy, but the same objection could be levelled at it as at Travelodge. Trave-lodge: what’s a Trave? Travel-odge: what’s an odge? But Travellodge is too ugly, albeit with Welsh overtones (“I’m staying at the local traah-veh-gggghhho-jah!”)

Nexthority isn’t quite so bad because “thority” is already an arbitrary string from “authority”, so why not just a shorter string, “hority”: Next-hority. Where all the keebaholics hang out… until the next Buyoutgate.

Moral: if it ain’t broke, don’t suffix it.

HKG

05 Oct 2021, 07:41

Muirium wrote:
04 Oct 2021, 21:08
I like the austere simplicity of your “outline” wiki. Wikimedia wikis have always struck me as ugly, from the start.

The name NeXTthority, though, well… I like it. Because it makes me think NeXTSTEP forum!
Lead dev here, we are really happy with Outline so far, and after trying 2 previous pieces of software (WikiJS, and BookStack) which did not work out, we think we finally found "the one." We still need to create style guides, and do some other work, and possibly redo SSO, but after that, we should (hopefully) be good to go!

Don't get me wrong, we have a ways to go before it is ready, but the hardest parts of it are behind us (hopefully, lol).

Feel free to join our Discord, which is linked on our website.

linuxfanatic

05 Oct 2021, 08:05

Looking forward to adding to the wiki! I'd also love to contribute to style guides and such, if that's something you all are interested in.

Muirium
µ

05 Oct 2021, 10:12

NeXTthority feature request! I just tried registering as a user there. >=3 letters required?! C’mon! I wanna be Mu.

(Since that’s what people actually call me, as my palindromic username doesn’t roll so easily off the tongue…)

John Doe

05 Oct 2021, 10:16

Muirium wrote:
NeXTthority feature request! I just tried registering as a user there. >=3 letters required?! C’mon! I wanna be Mu.

(Since that’s what people actually call me, as my palindromic username doesn’t roll so easily off the tongue…)
Impressive that you registed here so early and still being active. :)

Muirium
µ

05 Oct 2021, 10:17

I come and go. Several of the old timers are like that.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

05 Oct 2021, 15:12

Muirium wrote:
Correct.

tinnie

05 Oct 2021, 15:14

kbdfr wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 15:12
Muirium wrote:
Correct.
Yesssss

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

05 Oct 2021, 21:03

linuxfanatic wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 08:05
Looking forward to adding to the wiki! I'd also love to contribute to style guides and such, if that's something you all are interested in.
Oh, we very much are. There is also a dedicated area for templates in outline, so it will be simple for new users to get up to date on proper style and structure. Here is our current form of the posting guidelines:
https://outline.nexthority.net/share/75 ... b754f45a69
Muirium wrote:

This is another reason why we are looking into different SSO implementation. The current node is not configured to scale and I am overlooking an alternative solution that is far more up to date and easier to work with. I have to make sure it can work for my homelab effectively first before considering production use though :roll:
Last edited by Redmaus on 06 Oct 2021, 01:24, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

05 Oct 2021, 21:19

Don’t forget the PM search function! Losing that here in the great backend transition really threw me off my game. Same for 7bit, whose empire relied on full text notification emails.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

05 Oct 2021, 21:22

Muirium wrote:
Don’t forget the PM search function! Losing that here in the great backend transition really threw me off my game. Same for 7bit, whose empire relied on full text notification emails.
Already included. Another thing nexthority provides is group PM's! :mrgreen:

andreas

05 Oct 2021, 21:44

I like how this is going.

Lalaland124

05 Oct 2021, 22:27

Redmaus wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 21:22
Muirium wrote:
Already included. Another thing nexthority provides is group PM's! :mrgreen:
That sounds like great fun :D

tinnie

06 Oct 2021, 21:02

Muirium wrote:
I wonder if 7bit is still alive!

Still owe him some straps!

Muirium
µ

06 Oct 2021, 21:07

Good question. I’ve not seen any sign of him in ages.

His crazy huge group buy is a bit of a ghost town.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=14580&start=990

tinnie

06 Oct 2021, 21:10

Muirium wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 21:07
Good question. I’ve not seen any sign of him in ages.

His crazy huge group buy is a bit of a ghost town.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=14580&start=990
Like my pubic hair barber shop… ghost town..

Return to “Deskthority talk”