Future of DT

depletedvespene

15 Sep 2021, 21:02

keyboardjoy wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 20:59
We are behind any spam bots, nor are we responsible for any spam e-mail.

You can reach me directly at mech [at] deskthority [dot] net at any point.
(emphasis added)

I would think you a word.

keyboardjoy

15 Sep 2021, 21:09

depletedvespene wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 21:02
keyboardjoy wrote:
We are behind any spam bots, nor are we responsible for any spam e-mail.

(emphasis added)

I would think you a word.
:shock: right you are

raoulduke-esq

15 Sep 2021, 21:52

Ok! I'll take off my tinfoil hat now.

Glad to see you here Oliver- PLEASE help us ward off the incursion!!

ifohancroft

15 Sep 2021, 22:18

keyboardjoy wrote:
We are not behind any spam bots, nor are we responsible for any spam e-mail.

Just to be clear, I am not accusing neither you neither OneCommerce either. I am just speculating on possible reasons for it.

Anyway, welcome back!

raoulduke-esq

15 Sep 2021, 22:26

ifohancroft wrote:
I am just speculating on possible reasons for it.
iu.jpeg
iu.jpeg (25.43 KiB) Viewed 261954 times

ifohancroft

15 Sep 2021, 23:14

raoulduke-esq wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 22:26
ifohancroft wrote:
I am just speculating on possible reasons for it.
iu.jpeg
Hahaha

soyuz

15 Sep 2021, 23:48

lol found the recipe to get keyboardjoy to post, just accuse onecommerce of stuff

punked

soyuz

15 Sep 2021, 23:54

keyboardjoy and onecommerce are leaving deskthority discord to rot and ignoring their mods because it doesn't directly factor into their plans to start a blockchain/cocaine dual economy experiment on sardinia

andreas

16 Sep 2021, 13:33

keyboardjoy wrote:
We are not behind any spam bots, NOR are we responsible for any spam e-mail.
NOR are you responding to the issues raised in recents posts within this thread.
NOR are you talking to or appointing new moderators to help with spam bots.

@all I welcome everybody to amend further NORs. It has such a nice negative vibe to it :evil:

depletedvespene

16 Sep 2021, 15:57

andreas wrote:
keyboardjoy wrote:
We are not behind any spam bots, NOR are we responsible for any spam e-mail.
NOR are you responding to the issues raised in recents posts within this thread.
NOR are you talking to or appointing new moderators to help with spam bots.

@all I welcome everybody to amend further NORs. It has such a nice negative vibe to it :evil:
NOR you seem to be doing anything other than minimal damage control to direct issues raised.
NOR you seem to be considering the mid- and long-term future of DT.

NORah Jones' singing is beautiful and soothing... as soothing as would be to have a proper solution to DT's current status.

raoulduke-esq

16 Sep 2021, 16:11

andreas wrote:
depletedvespene wrote:
16 Sep 2021, 15:57
NOR you seem to be doing anything other than minimal damage control to direct issues raised.

This methodology sounds REALLY familiar around here but I can't quite put my finger on where else I've seen it over and over and over and over again for hundreds of pages... :lol:

ifohancroft

16 Sep 2021, 19:03

NOR gates are cool.

zrrion

16 Sep 2021, 20:20

NAND is better

PlacaFromHell

16 Sep 2021, 21:27

zrrion wrote:
NAND is better
XNOR gate supremacy 8-)

Go-Kart

16 Sep 2021, 21:57

We are nerds.

Palatino

16 Sep 2021, 22:00

BILL gates are the worst: at first you get a signal coming through, but inevitably it crashes and the signal dies, then starts up again, then dies, then comes again, then…..

Palatino

16 Sep 2021, 22:05

zrrion wrote:
NAND is better
Agreed! It’s why NANDOS is the best place to take someone out, because you get food if neither or only one of you pays for it :D

depletedvespene

16 Sep 2021, 22:27

Palatino wrote:
16 Sep 2021, 22:00
BILL gates are the worst: at first you get a signal coming through, but inevitably it crashes and the signal dies, then starts up again, then dies, then comes again, then…..
It also puts out a signal that is out of spec, but it's the fault of everybody else.

soyuz

17 Sep 2021, 22:19

onecommerce is actually just a really bad AI that's been trained on a training set consisting of denials and fake promises

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Sep 2021, 12:43

oookay, I didn't want to post about this but months have passed and I'm a bit sad about how things are going. So this is my take if anyone is interested. Sorry for the wall of text...

First. DT needs daily maintenance in the form of moderation/checking accounts/replying to PMs. Also and more importantly DT needs monthly software and server updates. The software has not been updated since the buy out and I told them to do it right away. From what I see the server also still runs on an old php version and I would try to update that too. Lastly the DT awards once a year.

I used to do those tasks on a daily basis and that basically consumed all the little time I had for the hobby. So basically it was either maintain DT or actually post about keyboards/restorations/projects. I took the responsibility with webwit so I felt compelled to do the former. For that reason I was kinda relieved when webwit decided to sell, I could finally be back enjoying the hobby.

Before getting back though I wanted to hear from keyboardjoy, I was actually expecting him to contact me and from our chats I thought that was their intention. I just wanted to rectify my position. Why should I do administration work for them and for free? They are a company, they are trying to make a profit out of DT. I'm not saying that I want to be paid, I was expecting them to discuss my role, what I was willing to do or just what was my vision for the future of DT.

That did not happen, they left me "admin" though, like I was supposed to keep doing admin. I feel that secretly they thought/hoped I would. Anyway clearly they don't have the time to do basic maintenance, which is really sad.

I watched the "AMA" that was done few weeks ago. The fact alone that they were willing to do it goes to their credit. As always I've seen some "run for the jugular" from the community and I feel the biggest argument was "DT is vintage". While I 100% agree I think that a reality like onecommerce has to explore other options AS LONG as the core remains the vintage/restoration/relic-find. What instead scares me is that the whole expansion plan is "let's do a blog". With all that has and can be done a blog is like the 100th point in the list.

Fix the platform, strengthen your strong points (and I have a few ideas but keyboardjoy is not interested in hearing them apparently), run the biggest DT awards ever (we missed a couple already), show the DT crowd that you understand them and you are putting the effort. THEN expand!

I conclude this by saying I feel that for me it's too late, I'm disaffected and frustrated, but I would love to see DT thrive again, I'll just watch from a distance.

Best of luck,
your ex-admin

Muirium
µ

18 Sep 2021, 12:57

^ Listen to the robot. This one speaks for the soul of DT.

Archie

18 Sep 2021, 13:46

matt3o wrote:
oookay, I didn't want to post about this but months have passed and I'm a bit sad about how things are going.
Well, I feel the same. I never was really active here, but DT was lovely place with tons of professionally structured information, and knowledgeable friendly community. I'd like to express my gratitude to you personally for your long-time perfect maintenance of the site, and to all the people I've ever contacted here. Thank you guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixQzSGBo9oI

Palatino

18 Sep 2021, 17:16

Archie wrote:
18 Sep 2021, 13:46
... DT was lovely place with tons of professionally structured information, and knowledgeable friendly community...
Surely it still is? I don't have any usage statistics to compare with six weeks/months/years ago, but I log on most days and see plenty of discussions, questions, photos, reviews, tips etc. being posted. Obviously I hope it continues, and I'm a little worried about the takeover and what it might mean, but it's not dead yet - since we are it!

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

18 Sep 2021, 18:20

matt3o wrote:
Spoiler:
oookay, I didn't want to post about this but months have passed and I'm a bit sad about how things are going. So this is my take if anyone is interested. Sorry for the wall of text...

First. DT needs daily maintenance in the form of moderation/checking accounts/replying to PMs. Also and more importantly DT needs monthly software and server updates. The software has not been updated since the buy out and I told them to do it right away. From what I see the server also still runs on an old php version and I would try to update that too. Lastly the DT awards once a year.

I used to do those tasks on a daily basis and that basically consumed all the little time I had for the hobby. So basically it was either maintain DT or actually post about keyboards/restorations/projects. I took the responsibility with webwit so I felt compelled to do the former. For that reason I was kinda relieved when webwit decided to sell, I could finally be back enjoying the hobby.

Before getting back though I wanted to hear from keyboardjoy, I was actually expecting him to contact me and from our chats I thought that was their intention. I just wanted to rectify my position. Why should I do administration work for them and for free? They are a company, they are trying to make a profit out of DT. I'm not saying that I want to be paid, I was expecting them to discuss my role, what I was willing to do or just what was my vision for the future of DT.

That did not happen, they left me "admin" though, like I was supposed to keep doing admin. I feel that secretly they thought/hoped I would. Anyway clearly they don't have the time to do basic maintenance, which is really sad.

I watched the "AMA" that was done few weeks ago. The fact alone that they were willing to do it goes to their credit. As always I've seen some "run for the jugular" from the community and I feel the biggest argument was "DT is vintage". While I 100% agree I think that a reality like onecommerce has to explore other options AS LONG as the core remains the vintage/restoration/relic-find. What instead scares me is that the whole expansion plan is "let's do a blog". With all that has and can be done a blog is like the 100th point in the list.

Fix the platform, strengthen your strong points (and I have a few ideas but keyboardjoy is not interested in hearing them apparently), run the biggest DT awards ever (we missed a couple already), show the DT crowd that you understand them and you are putting the effort. THEN expand!
I conclude this by saying I feel that for me it's too late, I'm disaffected and frustrated, but I would love to see DT thrive again, I'll just watch from a distance.

Best of luck,
your ex-admin
Sad to hear this, Deskthority lost one of it's best today. Hope things can change in a positive way. You have my thanks, for providing something for all of us over the past few years.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

18 Sep 2021, 18:25

Lets make our own community with black jack and hookers. Ripthority.net!

Wodan
ISO Advocate

18 Sep 2021, 18:26

Also RIP matt3o … one of my favorite people to disagree with.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

18 Sep 2021, 18:27

Wodan wrote:
18 Sep 2021, 18:25
Lets make our own community with black jack and hookers. Ripthority.net!
Already got one up and running, just need to fine tune and configure the wiki before the whole package is good to go. Forum on the other hand is already in great shape.
Last edited by Redmaus on 19 Sep 2021, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.

TheInverseKey

18 Sep 2021, 18:55

Goodbye Robot, hope that you still stick around and simply don't rust away.

dcopellino

18 Sep 2021, 19:29

Very sad for what I read on this post from one of the contributor and since today ex admin (sic) I have been proudest of. Look forward robot and don't let all this vintage stuff (or someone else) arises melancholy even further. I wish you all the best for your new coming h&s projects.

ifohancroft

18 Sep 2021, 20:07

Thanks for all you did for all those years matt3o!

Return to “Deskthority talk”