Future of DT

tinnie

18 Sep 2021, 20:26

Wodan wrote:
18 Sep 2021, 18:25
Lets make our own community with black jack and hookers. Ripthority.net!
Hookers and blow!!! Yes!!!!!

headphone_jack

20 Sep 2021, 01:27

I may be on the pessimistic side here, but from testimonies I've heard from other admins, the general opinion of those in the community I've spoken to, and my own personal thoughts, at this point Deskthority is well beyond and sort of recovery. Even if Olver and company miraculously started to communicate with the community overnight, it has become very apparent by their mismanagement of the ongoing situation that he and OneCommernce have absolutely no idea how to run a forum or listen to feedback at all. I don't know what other forums this company has managed (if they didn't lie about that as well), but I get the feeling that we could look at any dead or offline forum and there's a high chance they would own the domain. Although a relative newcomer to this site, I feel (though some of the old guard may disagree) that it is time to jump ship, so to speak. I know of a few very promising community projects aiming to replicate the wiki so that no knowledge is lost, and I feel it is high time that the active users of this forum start backing them as hard as we can. OneCommerce isn't going away, they sure as hell aren't going to start doing anything productive, so maybe it's time that we do.

raoulduke-esq

20 Sep 2021, 01:44

My offer stands. 1GBP for DT.
Last edited by raoulduke-esq on 20 Sep 2021, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.

andreas

20 Sep 2021, 09:17

Imagine if there were exploits to the backend resulting in data extraction and deletion of the databases. :-o

ifohancroft

20 Sep 2021, 13:08

headphone_jack wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 01:27
I may be on the pessimistic side here, but from testimonies I've heard from other admins, the general opinion of those in the community I've spoken to, and my own personal thoughts, at this point Deskthority is well beyond and sort of recovery. Even if Olver and company miraculously started to communicate with the community overnight, it has become very apparent by their mismanagement of the ongoing situation that he and OneCommernce have absolutely no idea how to run a forum or listen to feedback at all. I don't know what other forums this company has managed (if they didn't lie about that as well), but I get the feeling that we could look at any dead or offline forum and there's a high chance they would own the domain. Although a relative newcomer to this site, I feel (though some of the old guard may disagree) that it is time to jump ship, so to speak. I know of a few very promising community projects aiming to replicate the wiki so that no knowledge is lost, and I feel it is high time that the active users of this forum start backing them as hard as we can. OneCommerce isn't going away, they sure as hell aren't going to start doing anything productive, so maybe it's time that we do.
Can you name a few? Possibly such that use phpBB for a forum and non of that Discourse shit

ifohancroft

20 Sep 2021, 13:15

keyboardjoy wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 16:53
As mentioned above, we're going to put together a plan for increased moderation and the reduction of spam posts.

Will keep you updated.

Thanks everyone.
I am quoting you since tagging isn't working.

In-case it isn't clear, here it is, said directly, so there is no room for misinterpretation:

We are unhappy with you and OneCommerce.
We are unhappy with you and OneCommerce's lack of action.
We are unhappy with you and OneCommerce's promises you will take (unknown) action, but at some unknown time in the future.
We are unhappy with you and OneCommerce's lack of frequent and open communication with us.
We are unhappy with you and OneCommerce lying to us.
We are unhappy with you and OneCommerce not listening to us.

headphone_jack

20 Sep 2021, 17:06

ifohancroft wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 13:15
keyboardjoy wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 16:53
As mentioned above, we're going to put together a plan for increased moderation and the reduction of spam posts.

Will keep you updated.

Thanks everyone.
I am quoting you since tagging isn't working.

In-case it isn't clear, here it is, said directly, so there is no room for misinterpretation:

We are unhappy with you and OneCommerce.
We are unhappy with you and OneCommerce's lack of action.
We are unhappy with you and OneCommerce's promises you will take (unknown) action, but at some unknown time in the future.
We are unhappy with you and OneCommerce's lack of frequent and open communication with us.
We are unhappy with you and OneCommerce lying to us.
We are unhappy with you and OneCommerce not listening to us.
Psh, you think they care? They're a for profit company. When have they ever cared? They're making profit somehow, and based on everything that's happened so far I'm guessing it's either unethical or outright nefarious. My bets are on either money laundering or private data being sold (although they told us this wasn't the case, not like they've told us the truth about anything else.)

Muirium
µ

20 Sep 2021, 19:37

Well, sucks if all of that is true. Looking on the bright side, at least my adblocker and my junk mail filter must be awe some. I still ain’t seeing none at all.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Sep 2021, 20:17

sex slave trafficking, human sacrifices. Chtulhu worshiping, goat sodomy!

Muirium
µ

20 Sep 2021, 20:22

Goats you say? Intriguing …

raoulduke-esq

20 Sep 2021, 20:23

the best kind of SEO right here folks

depletedvespene

20 Sep 2021, 20:40

matt3o wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 20:17
sex slave trafficking, human sacrifices. Chtulhu worshiping, goat sodomy!
... and rubber dome keyboards.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

Muirium wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 20:22
Goats you say? Intriguing …
Scottish, aye?
depletedvespene wrote:
... and rubber dome keyboards.
you mean Topre?

andreas

20 Sep 2021, 21:38

That's the spirit :D

soyuz

02 Oct 2021, 12:14

hey don't worry, they've been hard at work on this shop full of low effort cashgrab shitdesigns: https://shop.deskthority.net/

raoulduke-esq

02 Oct 2021, 15:26

soyuz wrote:
hey don't worry, they've been hard at work on this shop full of low effort cashgrab shitdesigns: https://shop.deskthority.net/
Who needs mods, software updates, or TLS certs when you can rock a hoody that lit?!!

TheInverseKey

02 Oct 2021, 17:39

soyuz wrote:
Lit, I can wear that MX Blue shirt when I game on my Razer keyboard!

TNT

02 Oct 2021, 20:09

soyuz wrote:
Say whaaaaaaaat :|

dt shop.PNG
dt shop.PNG (9.55 KiB) Viewed 1273336 times

wobbled

02 Oct 2021, 22:08

Those designs are pretty tragic... The only 'merch' I ever bought was a nice DT mug - I'd still recommend this store instead
https://www.redbubble.com/people/deskthority/shop

Weezer

02 Oct 2021, 22:44

"Why do keyboards never sleep? Because they have two shifts!!!"

The guy who made this has a bright future designing laffy taffy wrappers.

headphone_jack

03 Oct 2021, 00:30

how out of touch do you have to be to sell a "switch to MX" shirt under the branding of a vintage keyboard forum?

lhutton

03 Oct 2021, 00:32

Whoa I missed some stuff. I'm pretty sure matt3o was the only robot _not_trying to kill me. I haven't been as active (even lurking) just due to the lack of activity here lately. I prefer a community effort to a corp overlord myself too (rather pass around a hat and ask for donations that worry about monetizing). It seems like from a technical standpoint this should be the most expensive or complex site to run just due to the slower moving nature so it's extra puzzling why the new owners have ignored it. I've been a Linux and BSD SA/DevOp/etc for years, it's not this is Twitter or Reddit or something. Through your volunteer admin some beer money and buy a couple of Linodes and be off with something like self-hosted Discourse or a modern version of phpBB/nodeBB or whatever is the new hotness on web forum side. It's not going to take a huge amount of financial capital to pull off and migrating to some new software would probably help with the spam and such.

So where's everyone migrating too?

TNT

03 Oct 2021, 00:56

lhutton wrote:

Redmaus (I think) started this one https://forum.nexthority.net

Weezer

The problem is Richie Rich bought DT on a whim with the idea of making profit w/o first drafting a viable profit model. He doesn't want to change what DT is for fear of losing the base but won't be able to make profit w/o doing so. He needs to sell the site but I don't think he'll be able to make his money back because as I've heard he paid quite a bit over market value.

Weezer

03 Oct 2021, 00:57

TNT wrote:
lhutton wrote:

It looks like this site has had two posts in a month.

Muirium
µ

03 Oct 2021, 01:09

Weezer wrote:
03 Oct 2021, 00:57
TNT wrote:
lhutton wrote:

It looks like this site has had two posts in a month.
Indeed. Needs more traction to be a viable second base.

I liked Trev’s forum back when it was running. But not enough to migrate. That’ll take a push. We’ll know it when we see it, I guess.

lhutton

03 Oct 2021, 03:57

Weezer wrote:
The problem is Richie Rich bought DT on a whim with the idea of making profit w/o first drafting a viable profit model. He doesn't want to change what DT is for fear of losing the base but won't be able to make profit w/o doing so. He needs to sell the site but I don't think he'll be able to make his money back because as I've heard he paid quite a bit over market value.
I'm not quite a complete anti-capitalist yet but I am getting tired of the whole "everything has to make money" thought process. DT was a community kind of project by enthusiasts and I hate it when these things get bought up by people or orgs looking to monetize everything. It's ok build or create something that doesn't make money just because you enjoy it. I get that a lot in the photography world too. I used to do some of that professionally about a decade ago and now whenever I do work with someone on a project it's always "so, you doing this to build a business or what?" /rant
Last edited by lhutton on 03 Oct 2021, 05:07, edited 1 time in total.

lhutton

03 Oct 2021, 04:04

soyuz wrote:
"Make the switch to MX" uhhh ... does he know anything about this community?

ifohancroft

03 Oct 2021, 04:34

If we are actually moving to somewhere, please let it be somewhere where the forum is phpBB.
P.S. Yeah, the thing with the 'Switch to MX' merch is so bad it's actually hilarious :D

lhutton

03 Oct 2021, 05:09

ifohancroft wrote:
03 Oct 2021, 04:34
If we are actually moving to somewhere, please let it be somewhere where the forum is phpBB.
P.S. Yeah, the thing with the 'Switch to MX' merch is so bad it's actually hilarious :D
I'm less concerned with the exact software the forum is running to some extent as long as it's something selfhosted and preferably open source. None of this hosted product BS that seems to be popular today.

Return to “Deskthority talk”