Future of DT

raoulduke-esq

13 Sep 2021, 00:10

Ok… They responded and said they will be formulating an action plan and moving on it immediately. Fingers crossed! I just want to be able to enjoy keyboards with y’all.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

13 Sep 2021, 00:56

raoulduke-esq wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 00:10
Ok… They responded and said they will be formulating an action plan and moving on it immediately. Fingers crossed! I just want to be able to enjoy keyboards with y’all.
I mean, that's what I would say to someone to get them to stop bothering me so I could go back to doing nothing. I have children, this is a familiar strategy.

Actions speak louder.

raoulduke-esq

13 Sep 2021, 01:30

A very valid point! Hope for change.

zrrion

13 Sep 2021, 01:48

yeah, they should respond on the forum as well as to the email IMO

keyboardjoy

13 Sep 2021, 16:53

As mentioned above, we're going to put together a plan for increased moderation and the reduction of spam posts.

Will keep you updated.

Thanks everyone.

headphone_jack

13 Sep 2021, 17:02

So basically, you're blowing us off. I was right about you.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

13 Sep 2021, 18:47

keyboardjoy wrote:
As mentioned above, we're going to put together a plan for increased moderation and the reduction of spam posts.
How about you take ten minutes right now to look through some of the forums and delete obvious spam?

depletedvespene

13 Sep 2021, 19:05

XMIT wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 18:47
keyboardjoy wrote:
How about you take ten minutes right now to look through some of the forums and delete obvious spam?
And, perhaps, also appoint someone to the task?

soyuz

13 Sep 2021, 20:49

keyboardjoy wrote:

Will keep you updated.

Thanks everyone.
see you in 6 months when none of this has happened and i can quote my own post and laugh

depletedvespene

13 Sep 2021, 20:52

soyuz wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 20:49
keyboardjoy wrote:

Will keep you updated.

Thanks everyone.
see you in 6 months when none of this has happened and i can quote my own post and laugh
I'll quote mine and weep.

ZedTheMan

13 Sep 2021, 22:15

All I can say is, it ain't a good look. You had a chance to turn things around and follow up but it took until now to even say anything more...

headphone_jack

14 Sep 2021, 04:56

The funny part is the cretins had us fooled they would actually start giving shits when they did the first of their """weekly""" AMAs. Even after they were caught lying again planting shills! Seriously, from the bottom of my heart, fuck you OneCommerce. You took a thriving, decade old community and did your best to kill it for money (most likely from selling our personal data, not like they wouldn't lie about that too.) Seriously, rot in hell.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

14 Sep 2021, 15:06

Kind of wish I'd tried harder to acquire the forum from Webwit. Money wasn't the issue per se - either I have it, or I could have raised it. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to give the forum the time and attention it deserves.

Anyway, if the forum goes up for sale again, please ping me.

andreas

14 Sep 2021, 18:32

I'm new here, and it saddens me to see the community that built DT suffer in this way.

Whatever the future holds, I'm in on the group buy to regain control over DT.

raoulduke-esq

14 Sep 2021, 18:51

The value has gone down significantly since purchase. OneCommerce is clearly in over their heads and this purchase must be looking like a mistake. OneCommerce should sell DT to me for 1GBP and write off the loss on their taxes. I will then return the forum to a community-supported, community-controlled model. No monetizing of the content or users necessary.

depletedvespene

14 Sep 2021, 19:14

raoulduke-esq wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 18:51
The value has gone down significantly since purchase. OneCommerce is clearly in over their heads and this purchase must be looking like a mistake. OneCommerce should sell DT to me for 1GBP and write off the loss on their taxes. I will then return the forum to a community-supported, community-controlled model. No monetizing of the content or users necessary.
Count me in for the recovery project.

ZedTheMan

14 Sep 2021, 20:28

XMIT wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 15:06
Kind of wish I'd tried harder to acquire the forum from Webwit. Money wasn't the issue per se - either I have it, or I could have raised it. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to give the forum the time and attention it deserves.

Anyway, if the forum goes up for sale again, please ping me.
At the time I think we trusted that Webwit would sell the forum to better hands than where we are now, someone trustworthy that would give it time and attention. Being concerned on that front that you might not have been able to do that to the degree desired is honorable in a way. I think we would all agree that the forum would have been better in your hands than how it ended up, but that's hindsight for ya.

Wanted to contribute mention of further openness on my end to the prospect of Oliver/OneCommerce selling to a member of the community and subsequent community control and moderation.

ifohancroft

14 Sep 2021, 21:13

While I am not ready to say I believe OneCommerce and keyboardjoy lied to us, I wish that he would actually be here, responding and doing work on the forum, instead of missing for months and just showing up for a minute to do what looks like damage control.
Like, we need a boots on the ground, part of the community owner/admin, not an overseeing corporate overlord.

raoulduke-esq

14 Sep 2021, 21:18

Since informing them about the spam bot infiltration, the email addressed I used has started receiving literally hundreds of spam messages a day. Coincidence?

ifohancroft

15 Sep 2021, 00:51

raoulduke-esq wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 21:18
Since informing them about the spam bot infiltration, the email addressed I used has started receiving literally hundreds of spam messages a day. Coincidence?
To clarify on what raoulduke-esq is saying, as it took me awhile to get it:
He means his email (that he used to email OneCommerce from) has started getting spammed, not that OneCommerce have started getting spammed on their email (that he has emailed them on).

headphone_jack

15 Sep 2021, 00:58

If we do ever get control back over the forum (unlikely IMO) then I elect XMIT as a leader. Far and away one of the best people our community has to offer, with the required skillset for running a forum as a bonus.

ifohancroft

15 Sep 2021, 01:09

headphone_jack wrote:
If we do ever get control back over the forum (unlikely IMO) then I elect XMIT as a leader. Far and away one of the best people our community has to offer, with the required skillset for running a forum as a bonus.
I second this.

Lalaland124

15 Sep 2021, 10:27

ifohancroft wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 01:09
headphone_jack wrote:
I second this.
Me as well.

Is there no other way to contact the owners and arrange some sort of meeting to discuss the future of the forum? I mean I can't imagine the current situation being profitable to them. As far as I can tell, it seems that the number of people actively posting sth here has decreased quite a bit, which can't be good from a financial and operating stand point.

This passion for mechanical keyboards, especially vintage boards, is such a niche and feels as a whole almost like a big family, that I truly just wish that the forum gets the love it deserves and is operated and owned by people that share that same passion as well.

So I just hope they really try to fix these issues as it would be very sad to see this place become more and more like a ghost town..

raoulduke-esq

15 Sep 2021, 19:51

I would get onboard with that if he would go back in time and change the listings on other platforms to say the F122 pricing is part of a relief effort for a beloved member of the community. Then I'd wake up and magically everybody and their brother wouldn't believe $500 is an appropriate minimum price for a broken F122 that does NOT benefit a beloved member of the community.
ifohancroft wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 00:51
To clarify on what raoulduke-esq is saying, as it took me awhile to get it:
He means his email (that he used to email OneCommerce from) has started getting spammed, not that OneCommerce have started getting spammed on their email (that he has emailed them on).
That is correct. Most interesting is that it's the same 4 spam emails sent over and over again a few minutes apart a few times a day almost as though it were done by a lousy cronjob. Not the usual spam behavior I get on that account, and I've not used that address for anything else new lately.

soyuz

15 Sep 2021, 20:24

what if onecommerce was the spam bots all along

depletedvespene

15 Sep 2021, 20:34

soyuz wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 20:24
what if onecommerce was the spam bots all along
Not much of a plot twist, is it?

ifohancroft

15 Sep 2021, 20:50

I think that was the premise behind what raoulduke-esq was saying.

I think it's highly possible actually. I am not sure why though. My only theory is that they realized they were in over their heads so they decided to piledrive the forum into oblivion. But still - why?

raoulduke-esq

15 Sep 2021, 20:57

I have no evidence OneCommerce is behind the emails I'm getting- just circumstantial. It would be a very startup-bro thing to match my rude emails and spamming with some retaliatory spamming but I'm not going to directly accuse them based only on the circumstantial. I only sent like 3 or 4 emails since it was the weekend but I was not very courteous in my text so if it's a prank response to my rudeness then I deserve it.

As for the CamelCase bots, were they around prior to the sale and the mod team just did a good job policing them, or did they just show up after the sale?

keyboardjoy

15 Sep 2021, 20:59

We are not behind any spam bots, nor are we responsible for any spam e-mail.

You can reach me directly at mech [at] deskthority [dot] net at any point.
Last edited by keyboardjoy on 15 Sep 2021, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

depletedvespene

15 Sep 2021, 21:00

raoulduke-esq wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 20:57
As for the CamelCase bots, were they around prior to the sale and the mod team just did a good job policing them, or did they just show up after the sale?
Spammers started showing up well before the sale, but the specific tactic we're seeing now is rather recent. I would argue that it's the same spammers, with improved mechanisms for posting their garbage.

Return to “Deskthority talk”