DT Update Log and TODO

TheInverseKey

24 Dec 2018, 19:28

kbdfr wrote: Just opened this thread (from the Spy page),
and it loaded almost instantly despite the tons of pics contained in its first post.

So I decided to check with another thread with a lot of photos,
and this one too loaded almost instantly.

It seems to be a feature.
Well done! :D
All I can say is this has made viewing pictures in threads a whole of a lot better and that it loads at break neck speeds.

Thanks matt3o for all of your continued hard work!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

26 Dec 2018, 12:46

Working on the new logo. I totally nailed it.

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Dec 2018, 13:51

dt9.jpg
dt9.jpg (47.99 KiB) Viewed 8757 times

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Dec 2018, 11:25

okay quick update.

I'm trying to recreate the DT style on the new phpbb 3.2.x. It has a completely new system which is fortunately better than the current we are using.

My idea was just to alter the CSS and leave everything else untouched (the templates) but that turned out to be an incredibly time consuming task, so regretfully I'm going to create a new style for DT.

This also means that each forum update we have to check the compatibility of the new style. Oh well... nobody said it was gonna be easy.

Muirium
µ

28 Dec 2018, 16:59

Oh boy. Be careful now! Any single pixel changes from the current appearance will send Mr. Choc into apoplexy, while I cower in the corner wondering what brought about the End Times. We’re a little on the cautious end of the openness to change spectrum.

Now that the lower decks are updated (as far as I understand, in my technical incompetence) what’s the reason to fiddle around with the upper levels of the stack? Are we open to unpatched vulnerabilities and all the rest of it? Are we inviting maleficent witches? Shall we pray for divine guidance? Can we seek elven protection?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Dec 2018, 17:09

unfortunately not-updating is not an option. we are running on very (VERY) old code and that's a disaster meant to happen.

Muirium
µ

28 Dec 2018, 17:11

Our current, last line of defence:
Spoiler:

Myoth

28 Dec 2018, 17:48

Not sure if this is related to this whole situation but the wiki gives me this error whenever I try to load a thumbnail
Error creating thumbnail: /bin/bash: /usr/bin/convert: No such file or directory Error code: 127
wiki/Cherry_G80-1229

this is the wiki page I'm editing if that can help

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Dec 2018, 18:41

Myoth wrote: Not sure if this is related to this whole situation but the wiki gives me this error whenever I try to load a thumbnail
Error creating thumbnail: /bin/bash: /usr/bin/convert: No such file or directory Error code: 127
wiki/Cherry_G80-1229

this is the wiki page I'm editing if that can help
can you try again? it should be fixed

Myoth

28 Dec 2018, 18:42

looks good ! thanks matt3o !

matt3o
-[°_°]-

31 Dec 2018, 12:42

I f(*&@ing did it!

The forum spy for the latest version of phpbb is ready! Since I was at it I created a JSON API for it, so it should be super easy to connect to the forum news.

I just need to work on the new style now. It will be very simple but I'll make it fancier with time. I'll try to recreate the look and feel of the current one but it won't be the same.

Scarpia

31 Dec 2018, 13:23

matt3o wrote: I f(*&@ing did it!

The forum spy for the latest version of phpbb is ready! Since I was at it I created a JSON API for it, so it should be super easy to connect to the forum news.

I just need to work on the new style now. It will be very simple but I'll make it fancier with time. I'll try to recreate the look and feel of the current one but it won't be the same.
Congrats man! Can’t wait to see it. And I know how to edit my hosts file so I’m available for beta testing.

Menuhin

31 Dec 2018, 16:00

Muirium wrote: Our current, last line of defence:
Spoiler:
I am an amateur in coding php, can offer some help if help is really needed, even from an amateur.
By the way, these witches... give me some fantasies :oops:

Menuhin

31 Dec 2018, 16:00

matt3o wrote: I f(*&@ing did it!

Thanks so much Matt3o!

AMongoose

31 Dec 2018, 16:46

Great job matt3o!

Muirium
µ

31 Dec 2018, 19:09

Here’s a nippy DT bug that’s alive and well. Check this post:

viewtopic.php?p=433477#p433477

Where’s the pics? Click my quote link and you’ll see them on the previous page. They’re absent in the quote function because they’re original uploads in that post. Annoying, because I so much prefer when people host their pics here instead of hot linking soon-to-die external urls. But to quote those images, I’d have to manually [ img] them by hand. This has always been so.

This happens whenever you attach images in your post but do not hit the inline link feature. They lurk as attachments to that one and only post, never to be included in subsequent quotations.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

31 Dec 2018, 19:23

yeah I noticed that. it's very annoying. I haven't tried yet, but I hope the new version will solve that

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 Jan 2019, 20:27

Work on the new software is almost done. If all goes according to plans this weekend I will close the website and perform the long and dangerous update.

It will probably take good part of the day (Saturday or Sunday), I'll make backups of course, if things go south I'll revert to the current version.

Being the wiki and the forum connected I have to perform the upgrade of both software at the same time... it will be a bloodbath...

Many options won't be available right away (yeah the forum spy is already done) and I'm sure the style will need updates, issues will be fixed in the next days.

Muirium
µ

02 Jan 2019, 22:44

Brace yerselves, folks. We’re going through the looking glass.

Engicoder

02 Jan 2019, 22:59

Fingers crossed.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Jan 2019, 23:41

I had a work emergency today and couldn't work on the update, I believe the shut down will be postponed by a day or two.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

05 Jan 2019, 09:14

matt3o wrote: thank you guys. just a quick sneak pick. Almost there....
Spoiler:
Is there any profound reason for not keeping the old, well-balanced DT logo?

Excuse me if this is the wrong thread, after all this is offtopicthority.
And I hope at least that will remain unchanged.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Jan 2019, 09:51

First of all I don't think the current logo has any particular artistic value. But that's my very own opinion.

Secondly, yes, there is a "profound" reason. Which is simply a sign of change and renovation.

Scarpia

05 Jan 2019, 13:03

Personally I like the new logo. I like the old one too, so maybe I’m just not so hard to please.

The only thing I would say though is that the old one lends itself really well to a square legend; I always thought the ‘DT’ logo with the negative-space D looked classy and sophisticated and frankly awesome on a keycap (and reflecting Deskthority as the classier and more sophisticated keyboarding community). Does the new logo work as well in the shortened form on a keycap? Or maybe this calls for the design of a ‘DT’ variant that will be as sexy as the old one?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Jan 2019, 13:31

Scarpia wrote: Or maybe this calls for the design of a ‘DT’ variant that will be as sexy as the old one?
DT.png
DT.png (2.42 KiB) Viewed 8395 times

Muirium
µ

05 Jan 2019, 16:54

Seeing the letters like that—and thinking of a keycap, as Scarpia said, or indeed the favicon—I am drawn to the negative+positive identity again. I like the new letterforms—stencil fonts usually scream GAMMER at me but the new D and T do not—but perhaps try a negative on the Desk half? That pairing, if not their hokey old font, is literally our signature. I like the idea of historic continuity in the update, a notion which fits our classics and customs community quite nicely.

Findecanor

05 Jan 2019, 19:50

matt3o wrote: First of all I don't think the current logo has any particular artistic value. But that's my very own opinion.
Yes. That's your very own opinion.

Nu fucking gamer font in our logo! Stay classy!

Myoth

05 Jan 2019, 20:16

that reminds me, we don't have an IC section, which would be convenient to have, not sure if this is the right thread to post that in actually but there isn't really a "suggestion" thread so why not :)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Jan 2019, 23:56

I'm sorry if it looks like I want to throw updates down your throat, but this first phase is crucial and requires a lot of time and quite some technical awareness. I need to complete this first step in the coming few days because this is the only time I could dedicate 2 weeks straight on the project. This is crucial for the future of DT so I'm asking you a little patience in this stage.

Once the upgrades are done we can finally focus on optimizing the design, reorganizing the content, making things fancier and easier to access.

I'd like to merge some sections and possibly add new ones. Not sure if DT is big enough for an Interest Check section, but I'm open to discussion.

Return to “Deskthority talk”