Searching PMs

Chyros

27 Jan 2019, 18:40

Hey guys, maybe I'm overlooking it or something, but is there a way to search through your PMs yet? It's getting difficult to search through 74 pages of messages xD .

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Jan 2019, 18:42

no, it's not possible at the moment.

Speaking of which, it is advised to clean up your inbox in the event of forum software change

kbdfr
The Tiproman

18 Feb 2019, 18:04

Please, please re-implement the search function for PMs!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Feb 2019, 18:14

I hear you. this piece of software doesn't have the functionality built in and requires a plugin. Unfortunately plugins are often abandoned and never updated. Also I need to check them regularly to see if they have been updated and if so perform all the steps required for the update... and I wish I had time for all of that.

Laser
emacs -nw

18 Feb 2019, 19:04

Would it be easier to make the "export this view" button work on all the PMs somehow, instead of the current page? This way people could then export all their PMs in one step and then search through that CSV/XML file on their local PCs.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Feb 2019, 19:40

an export function wouldn't be terribly difficult to do, but still I'm already stretched, if anyone wants to help...

Laser
emacs -nw

18 Feb 2019, 20:04

I never worked with PHP, or web stuff ...

Would it kill the performance to have the "35 private posts / page" number changed to something much larger (e.g. 10000) ? Then people would only have to export one CSV to search at home. Instant PM backup as bonus, too.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

24 Mar 2019, 08:48

kbdfr wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 18:04
Please, please re-implement the search function for PMs!
Still not being able to search my PMS is becoming a serious hindrance.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Mar 2019, 16:42

I have other priorities right now and very limited time.

I liked the PM search too, but phpbb simply doesn't have that feature and the plugins to do that are either outdated or a mess (or both).

Chyros

17 May 2019, 10:57

I'd like to ping this issue again - I realise you have very limited time, but this is absolutely doing my head in. Keeping track of who sent me what, why, and what the circumstances were is all but impossible atm.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 May 2019, 11:15

phpbb doesn't offer that feature, there's a plugin that can do that but it's not updated since 2009. phpbb team in 2017 said that they are going to add that feature.

so the only alternative would be to code it... and maintain it.

Return to “Deskthority talk”