deskthority - Suggestions and Changelog

sixty
Gasbag Guru

01 Jun 2014, 22:20

Random idea: Maybe we can have a checkbox when making a new post in the media section? Something like "Grant rights to use these images in the Deskthority wiki".

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Jun 2014, 01:12

Merijn wrote:It would be nice if we would have an at least optional SSL certificate on the website. Especially for when exchanging payment and address information via the PM system. Nowadays SSL shouldn't be the bottleneck for about anything and they come pretty easy on the monies.
I've researched this and it's too hard for our case because we have mixed content (external images). The browser will show security warnings. We'd have to host all external content or proxy it. We'd have to disallow external images or pull them in (which also brings up copyright issues).

Icarium

05 Jun 2014, 09:06

We could however just show thumbnails and make them link to the external images.

Daniel Beardsmore

05 Jun 2014, 09:39

External content is a pain. I had a tab open on a topic (geekhack in this case) and at least one image no longer loads — and it was an image I needed for wiki reference purposes. The image is external, and it's on imageshack I think, who tie images to servers, and then seemingly kill off servers, so the picture is completely irretrievable: the image URL doesn't contain the username, album ID or any other clue that could be used to bring up the image on another server or bring up the album page.

Another reference image down the drain.

The irony of course is that all the external images are the only ones that survived rootworm, but then you have people who have disappeared (sixty, Wellington etc) and their site's gone with them. sixty is back, but I couldn't cite the odds on him recreating the original site with every image back at its original URL. No idea what happened to Wellington, but a lot of images died along with his site.

Icarium

05 Jun 2014, 15:45

So you're saying we should just copy all external content and figure out how to deal with the copyright issues if there are any?

Hypersphere

05 Jun 2014, 16:31

Has anyone else noticed that the DT site has been slow during the past two days or so? It takes a long time to load a selected page, for example, when selecting "View your Posts" or "Spy" from the home page. I do not think it is my computer, browser, or connection speed, because other sites are working okay. Sorry if this is off topic; please let me know if questions like this should be referred elsewhere. Thanks.

Daniel Beardsmore

05 Jun 2014, 19:47

Icarium wrote:So you're saying we should just copy all external content and figure out how to deal with the copyright issues if there are any?
It's one of those things that is probably too late to fix now.

xbb

05 Jun 2014, 20:53

Hypersphere wrote:Has anyone else noticed that the DT site has been slow during the past two days or so?
Same speed as usual for me (fast)

Icarium

05 Jun 2014, 21:25

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
Icarium wrote:So you're saying we should just copy all external content and figure out how to deal with the copyright issues if there are any?
It's one of those things that is probably too late to fix now.
It's never too late to start.

Your preservation issues are however unrelated to the SSL problem.

Daniel Beardsmore

05 Jun 2014, 21:43

Considering that external content within topics is one of the key problems with adopting HTTPS in the first place ........

Icarium

05 Jun 2014, 21:56

Yeah, but external links are not a problem and pictures from external sources are easy to detect and can be replaced by thumbnails. Maybe the can be copied, too. I'm just pretty sure that displaying thumbnails is fair use and there are no copyright issues.

7bit

05 Jun 2014, 22:45

I'd be fine with just links for external content. Because there is no rootworm for DT, it is much better to have text and photos in one place. Too often images are not accessible after some time when an image hoster went out of business, or redesigned their website, or the image got too much traffic.

Icarium

05 Jun 2014, 22:51

7bit wrote:I'd be fine with just links for external content. Because there is no rootworm for DT, it is much better to have text and photos in one place. Too often images are not accessible after some time when an image hoster went out of business, or redesigned their website, or the image got too much traffic.
I think your two statements are contradictory. External links means the content is hosted somewhere else as opposed to copying everything and keeping it at DT. Did I misunderstand you?

7bit

05 Jun 2014, 23:06

I mean it is better to uplod photos to DT than to a photo site. It is always annoying to search for something and to find only dead links to some long gone site.

Icarium

05 Jun 2014, 23:10

Well, agreed and I guess a more comfortable interface to upload multiple photos and less restrictions on image size with automatic conversion could make that more attractive but I think we're mostly talking about images uploaded by person A and linked on DT by person B who doesn't have the rights to just upload them here again.
Last edited by Icarium on 11 Jun 2014, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

Hypersphere

07 Jun 2014, 23:56

7bit wrote:I mean it is better to uplod photos to DT than to a photo site. It is always annoying to search for something and to find only dead links to some long gone site.
I agree. And unless the image is specifically and explicitly protected by copyright, I think (but I am not certain) that it should be sufficient to provide attribution to the image in the text or in a caption/legend to the image. Use of much of such content is covered by "fair use"; nevertheless, it is a courtesy to provide a reference to the source of the image.

Daniel Beardsmore

11 Jun 2014, 01:00

The wiki search and replace facility seems to be throttled like Vader :(

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Jun 2014, 01:57

Ah that's my fault. I moved the simulated cron call from the code to a crontab. The first one checks for jobs with a page view, the second each 15 minutes. I lowered that to 5 minutes.

Hypersphere

11 Jun 2014, 17:48

General question: I found a service manual for the IBM Displaywriter system (including the beam spring keyboard)
online as a PDF file. Because links to such things might change or disappear, it seems that this would be something of interest to DT users that could be archived in the DT wiki. What is the procedure for suggesting such items for archiving? Thanks.

Icarium

12 Jun 2014, 12:08

Just add it, it's a wiki. :)

Topre Enthusiast

12 Jun 2014, 12:15

Add it to the External Links section here: http://deskthority.net/wiki/IBM_Displaywriter
Broken links are not something that can easily be avoided. The best we can do is flag them when we find them and move on. In most cases, the information can be found elsewhere anyway.

Icarium

12 Jun 2014, 12:25

I think a local copy would be nice. Anybody want to google for legal shizzle? :p

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Jun 2014, 02:27

There's now a search function for private messages.

rindorbrot

20 Jun 2014, 02:50

That's a nice function!

Muirium
µ

20 Jun 2014, 02:52

webwit wrote:There's now a search function for private messages.
Hurray!

Now to find something else to bitch about

webwit
Wild Duck

22 Jun 2014, 02:41

Acanthophis wrote: Na, you both misunderstood me.

I meant permalinks in quotes.
Unbenannt.png
I'd like to have a permalink somewhere where I indicated in the example pic.

Often posts are not completely quoted and/or on previous pages.
When I like to read the whole post which another one quoted, I have to digg through the thread.

Something like this (permalink is marked):
Unbenannt1.png

That's what I meant.
Sorry I didn't phrase it so well :/
This is now implemented, see the link at "Acanthophis wrote:"

Muirium
µ

22 Jun 2014, 02:51

webwit wrote: This is now implemented, see the link at "Acanthophis wrote:"
Neat. It's almost like someone's actually running the asylum, sometimes…

webwit
Wild Duck

22 Jun 2014, 03:34

Due to lack of volunteers, I rotate between chairman, secretary, treasurer, sysop and software. I probably forgot something.

Topre Enthusiast

22 Jun 2014, 04:20

Mu you really ought to put your hand up for one of these roles. You basically live here man.

Muirium
µ

22 Jun 2014, 04:21

Well, I don't code and I'm shitty with money. What else do we need?
webwit wrote: Due to lack of volunteers, I rotate between chairman, secretary, treasurer, sysop and software. I probably forgot something.
Yup. The occasional trolling, too.

Anyway, you do a pretty good at most of them. Thanks for the recent string of feature upgrades. We'll figure out how to misuse them soon enough…

Return to “Deskthority talk”