deskthority - Suggestions and Changelog

7bit

02 Feb 2016, 18:13

kbdfr wrote:
7bit wrote: Something prevents my browser to arrive at the place where it left when using the back button. […]
Probably age :lol:

The same things happens to me every time I leave home:
when I come back I am at the bottom of the stairs instead of in front of my door :mrgreen:
This is because you run Windows.
:P

With Linux, you come back where you were before you left!
:ugeek:

shreebles
Finally 60%

02 Feb 2016, 18:34

Chrome 48 on Windows here, do not experience this issue.

Muirium
µ

02 Feb 2016, 18:43

No problem with Safari on Mac or iPhone either.

Of course, the good old dynamic image loading issue remains as always, but we've discussed that many times before.

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Feb 2016, 20:29

There was no change in the html/javascript.

7bit

02 Feb 2016, 20:59

Must be my browser settings. It works here at home. I will test this out myself.

Sorry for the alarm.
:-)

JBert

07 Feb 2016, 01:08

webwit wrote: I've been playing with responsive/mobile css on my local machine. Still lots to do but it's getting there.
mobilemockup.png
That's a great start for the home page, but what about the "Unread posts" overview and the topics?

Modern forum software tends to show the poster and his (scaled) avator above the post instead of the left, use a slightly larger font and they make sure that the text flows freely.

Right now I still get the typical layout of 75% the width of the header image rather than free-flowing text, and zooming in on the text tends to hide the user info column.

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Feb 2016, 01:29

Some screenshots of pages I've been working on. Naturally there is some simplification. First aim is too make things fit and look nice and simple. Needs some better outlining at points, but moreover, stuff is too small to hit with your finger on mobile. That's next. If it fits, it's already much better and will rank better on google. It's a bitch, it's css overrides for break points for ancient phpbb css chaos, and I like to keep it small.
mobile1.png
mobile1.png (190.16 KiB) Viewed 18775 times
mobile2.png
mobile2.png (497.98 KiB) Viewed 18775 times
mobile3.png
mobile3.png (128.92 KiB) Viewed 18775 times

Chyros

21 Feb 2016, 14:45

Could we get a multi-quote feature perhaps? It's very cumbersome to quote multiple posts at the moment Oo .

Muirium
µ

21 Feb 2016, 14:50

Not cumbersome enough in my view. You've seen GH etc., right? Endlessly nested quotes, over and over again, just for one word lulz in addition, is the worst thing about them. Which says quite a lot!

I'd like to automatically strip quotations from posts immediately after the post they just quoted (excepting for page breaks) but then I am a maniacal minimalist typing on a clearly dysfunctionally small keyboard…

(Try this: click reply, then look for the text EXPAND VIEW in the editor. Click that and behold all the quote bubbles beside earlier posts. That's the way to multiquote! But keep it quiet, alright?)

JBert

21 Feb 2016, 17:25

That's one advantage of modern javascript-overload forums: they don't have pages, hence you can strip out virtually all quotes when posts are sequential. Also, when you do have quotes they crosslink the previous post with a "collapsed view" to show the context of those previous posts.

The only problem lies in their implementation: they're resource-heavy, they don't integrate with the browser's scrollbar and they sometimes get stuck on loading.
Last edited by JBert on 21 Feb 2016, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

JBert

21 Feb 2016, 17:29

webwit wrote: Some screenshots of pages I've been working on. Naturally there is some simplification. First aim is too make things fit and look nice and simple. Needs some better outlining at points, but moreover, stuff is too small to hit with your finger on mobile. That's next. If it fits, it's already much better and will rank better on google. It's a bitch, it's css overrides for break points for ancient phpbb css chaos, and I like to keep it small.
That's already quite awesome!

I think mobile is still mainly for reading so this helps a lot with getting just the important stuff on screen. Admittedly there's still the problem that phpbb will mark the entire page as read even if you only opened the first part in your tiny view, yet I understand we won't see any improvement for that on our old phpbb branch.

Muirium
µ

21 Feb 2016, 20:54

JBert wrote: That's one advantage of modern javascript-overload forums: they don't have pages, hence you can strip out virtually all quotes when posts are sequential. Also, when you do have quotes they crosslink the previous post with a "collapsed view" to show the context of those previous posts.

The only problem lies in their implementation: they're resource-heavy, they don't integrate with the browser's scrollbar and they sometimes get stuck on loading.
I'd like to burn this idea with fire.

JBert

22 Feb 2016, 01:27

But Progress!

Chyros

22 Feb 2016, 12:19

Muirium wrote: Not cumbersome enough in my view. You've seen GH etc., right? Endlessly nested quotes, over and over again, just for one word lulz in addition, is the worst thing about them. Which says quite a lot!

I'd like to automatically strip quotations from posts immediately after the post they just quoted (excepting for page breaks) but then I am a maniacal minimalist typing on a clearly dysfunctionally small keyboard…

(Try this: click reply, then look for the text EXPAND VIEW in the editor. Click that and behold all the quote bubbles beside earlier posts. That's the way to multiquote! But keep it quiet, alright?)
Oooh! I'll remember that, thanks!

Madhias
BS TORPE

22 Feb 2016, 12:49

Quoting is sometimes good when you want to see with other applications if someone answered to your post, and you just see that posts easily then in a list. I never understood it, but I have to say I like it more and more, not to check different threads all the time to answer again. But I can understand, that people who are constantly on DT do not need things like that!

Muirium
µ

22 Feb 2016, 13:03

It's just so ugly!

I'm a fairly light GH user. Still to make my first post. And I only ever go there following links from here. The SUPREME UGLY smacks me in the face every time. Even when I go login at the top, which loads my chosen DT-like theme for the place, there is no making the quotes go away. Awful experience! I cannae stand it.

Madhias
BS TORPE

22 Feb 2016, 14:07

Often the music albums with the bad graphics are better than the stylish ones :) No, of course it is ugly, and threads are then very, very long. But getting information on replies without checking all useless posts I did is good to get somehow and saves time in the end. DT is so slow compared to GH, that often the Spy shows 12h in total, so nothing can be overseen.

ReleaseCandidate

22 Feb 2016, 14:20

A forum - like this - with (almost) unusable quoting is (almost ;) useless.

And anybody who values form over function is obviosly an Apple user :D

Muirium
µ

22 Feb 2016, 14:31

GH is a showcase of just the kind of function I despise! If DT became GH, I'd have to find a new hobby.

<Eyes more camera gear. Wishes prices were two orders of magnitude cheaper.>

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Feb 2016, 14:37

I agree multi-quote is sometimes pretty useful especially when dealing with group buys.

sooner or later we will update the software, I'm not sure if the latest phpbb version supports multi-quote though

Muirium
µ

22 Feb 2016, 14:42

I'd like a user preference to auto collapse all quotes when reading the forum. Best of both worlds.

Madhias
BS TORPE

29 Feb 2016, 05:55

I'd like to propose again to auto spoiler images when quoting if this is easily possible.

Khers

29 Feb 2016, 11:04

+1 for auto-spoilering of quoted images.

Muirium
µ

29 Feb 2016, 11:43

+2.

How about auto spoilering nested quotes? We don't need the whole fugly tree cropping up time and time again. Just the most recent (outer) quote matters. Shrink the rest into a spoiler, or strip outright!

Madhias
BS TORPE

29 Feb 2016, 11:47

That's also great, in one nice spoiler button (and not with tabs to spoiler each one separately).

Muirium
µ

29 Feb 2016, 11:48

Bingo! Readers either want to see the lot, or nothing.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

29 Feb 2016, 11:52

Muirium wrote: […] We don't need the whole fugly tree cropping up time and time again. Just the most recent (outer) quote matters. […]
This is already implemented, as the number of nestled quotes is restricted.

I for one use (also multiple) quotes intensively to make my posts understandable. Often enough one answers a post where others have posted in-between, and without quoting you just don't know what the answer is about.

klikkyklik

04 Mar 2016, 01:01

Is there any way to squelch certain threads from the spy view? Sometimes uninteresting but wildly active threads trump all over what I'd rather see.

Muirium
µ

30 May 2016, 15:03

Anyone know how to search for posts with attachments? I'm trying to find a picture I posted some time ago, and want to filter down to only posts by a specific author which also include attachments. Can't spot such an option in the GUI:
Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 2.00.39 pm.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 2.00.39 pm.png (351.79 KiB) Viewed 18493 times
Yet I vaguely remember it being possible, maybe by a crafty search string.

If not, consider it a handy feature request. I'm often linking to people's photos around here, and I can't always remember exactly where to find them.

elecplus

30 May 2016, 17:06

Try putting +.jpg +Alps in the advanced search box, and your name in the Author box. That brings up all threads you posted to that mention Alps and have pictures. It is not very specific, unless you can remember the name of the jpg.

Return to “Deskthority talk”