deskthority - Suggestions and Changelog

sixty
Gasbag Guru

01 Feb 2011, 20:01

I thought it was heet in dutch?

Brian8bit

01 Feb 2011, 20:04

I was on holiday years ago and got very excited when I was propositioned by a young dutch lady. Asking if I wanted shag I was disappointed to discover it's what they call rolling tobacco.

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Feb 2011, 20:05

Geil = Horny.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

01 Feb 2011, 20:09

Brian8bit wrote:I was on holiday years ago and got very excited when I was propositioned by a young dutch lady. Asking if I wanted shag I was disappointed to discover it's what they call rolling tobacco.
lol. I guess you must have been disappointed.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

01 Feb 2011, 20:43

Suggestion: We gotta fix the profile display in private messages. They look kinda broken right now.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

01 Feb 2011, 21:57

Custom profile fields have been added to the board, you can set them in your user control panel. They will then show up in your detailed profile accordinigly:

Edit: Also alignment is pretty messed up, we should fix that too sometime.

bugfix

01 Feb 2011, 22:03

Seems to only work with one's own profile.

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Feb 2011, 22:07

What browser do you use? Works fine here.

bugfix

01 Feb 2011, 22:12

Opera.

I just checked it in Chrome, there it indeed does work so it's just an Opera bug.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

01 Feb 2011, 22:23

More changes: The wiki now uses the unified login with the forum. Cookies are not shared, so you have to login to the wiki separately. However, you do not need two accounts anymore and can just login with your forum account.

7bit

01 Feb 2011, 22:25

sixty wrote:Custom profile fields have been added to the board, you can set them in your user control panel. ...
A propos profile:

How to get useless things like 'Seeker of the Grail' or 'Wild Duck' underneath the avatar?

bugfix

01 Feb 2011, 22:26

sixty wrote:More changes: The wiki now uses the unified login with the forum. Cookies are not shared, so you have to login to the wiki separately. However, you do not need two accounts anymore and can just login with your forum account.
I shall get to work then :D

sixty
Gasbag Guru

01 Feb 2011, 22:32

7bit wrote:
sixty wrote:Custom profile fields have been added to the board, you can set them in your user control panel. ...
A propos profile:

How to get useless things like 'Seeker of the Grail' or 'Wild Duck' underneath the avatar?
Right now, we set them in the admin panel.. there is a mod to give users access to it. If enough people actually want one, I'll install it later. For now if you want a custom title, PM me.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

01 Feb 2011, 22:39

sixty wrote:Edit: Also alignment is pretty messed up, we should fix that too sometime.
Set text-align to left in the CSS (not live yet, just on the dev version), looks much better imo:

Thoughts?

7bit

01 Feb 2011, 22:45

sixty wrote:
sixty wrote:Edit: Also alignment is pretty messed up, we should fix that too sometime.
Set text-align to left in the CSS (not live yet, just on the dev version), looks much better imo:

Thoughts?
It gives the impresion you get a full profile view of that duck underneath the window.

SCNR.

To me it looks perfect.

bugfix

01 Feb 2011, 22:48

Looks great.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

01 Feb 2011, 22:50

Now we just gotta figure out why it entirely breaks in Opera. I just tried it again here and can confirm the bug.

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Feb 2011, 22:57

The thing it only shows one in Opera, I'm planning to redo it with jquery so I wouldn't put too much time in that part.

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Feb 2011, 23:04

Mockup time.

Two ideas in one.
I want to get rid of that gray background around the user info..too much gray on the page. Here a black border instead.
Also experimenting with user info on the right. I like how the actual content is better aligned, but it is also a bit disorienting. Instead of "Simon says: ..." it sort of becomes "..., Simon said".
mockup_topic.png
mockup_topic.png (87.82 KiB) Viewed 4027 times

bugfix

01 Feb 2011, 23:06

I like the black border, not so sure about the right orientation, though.

Brian8bit

01 Feb 2011, 23:10

I think the black border is to much of an isolating stamp. The grey and white tends to flow naturally into the other. Perhaps instead of throwing everything to the right, you could simply give the user info area a 1 pixel border in a slightly darker grey than than user info background, just to break it up. But not as in your face as the black.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

01 Feb 2011, 23:17

Brian8bit wrote:I think the black border is to much of an isolating stamp. The grey and white tends to flow naturally into the other. Perhaps instead of throwing everything to the right, you could simply give the user info area a 1 pixel border in a slightly darker grey than than user info background, just to break it up. But not as in your face as the black.
I kinda agree, I prefer it in gray rather than black. Also I hate forums with right aligned user info!

7bit

01 Feb 2011, 23:30

I wondered why sixty only shot the left-hand side of this keyboard:

It is not possible to scroll to the right to see the rest of the picture.
Attachments
scaling_bug.png
scaling_bug.png (132.21 KiB) Viewed 4103 times

bugfix

01 Feb 2011, 23:30

Yeah I just noticed that too.

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Feb 2011, 23:39

What browser are you using 7bit?

bugfix: Looks fine in Opera for me?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

01 Feb 2011, 23:41

you guys have js disabled?

7bit

01 Feb 2011, 23:43

LOL, some things work in opera and some in firefox;-)

Yes, JavaScript is not necessary!

ps: same with Konqueror. Opera is not debian free, so I can't test it.

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Feb 2011, 23:52

Lol, hating Javascript is sooo 2003 ;) I blame sixty. But perhaps we should make a simple template set for those haters of javascript, background graphics and what's more to come (such as fixed width). And, uhm, test in Opera.

Minskleip

02 Feb 2011, 00:34

I use noscript in Firefox so I don't get all the shit from Google. I still have all my email there though, so I'm kind of a dumbass.

My Norwegian webbank works in Elinks, which is very cool.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Feb 2011, 00:45

I see no reason for having js disabled since about 10 years or so as well. Back then the web was full of stupid popups, no rightclick scripts and all that type of lame bullshit. Nowadays that is not the case, and some of the most impressive web technologies rely on it. I have no more reason to blame js.

The current image resizer (that you guys don't see because you are script nazis) obviously works by js so the page does not create really hideous scrollable divs inline. If anyone finds a decent way to properly resize images to a set size in posts that entirely operates without js, I'll be glad to implement it.

Otherwise you guys will have to live with it until we come up with a "light" version theme.

...we already have such a simple layout and theme and its still not light enough. Haters gonna hate!!

Return to “Deskthority talk”