DTA 2019 preparation

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 Sep 2019, 08:50

If we want DTA2019 we need to start working on it now.

First of all we need to find a better way of handling the whole process. The way it has been done in the years it's incredibly time consuming. If we had a better slimlined system I bet there would be no issues each year running the awards without the drama.

So either we find a way to make it work on the forum or we develop a parallel software (or use something already available) to handle the whole charade.

If you have any idea, please let me know.

Also, this is the third time this year we try to talk about DTA and the discussion always dropped at some point. I'm asking this one more time, If any of you is available at helping with this year's DTA please let me know. Think about it seriously, don't impulse-reply just to withdraw after a few days. If you are in, send me a PM and let me know what you'd be available to do.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

02 Sep 2019, 20:37

If I want to help, what would that entail?

I definitely want a DTA 2019 :D

Muirium
µ

02 Sep 2019, 20:55

matt3o wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 08:50
If you are in, send me a PM and let me know what you'd be available to do.
I can idly speculate, if that’s helpful!

What you want is suggestions on a new system, right? But for what: moderating and posting the contest threads? Is that where the effort sink lies?

I’d compress the contest like this:

1. Combine the entrant gathering and first rounds of voting into one. So I’d have people nominate entries on a thread per award category, and ask for forum members to simply “second” the entries (post a quote with +1) they agree are worth going forward. That combines a poll with a rolling restart as new entrants emerge before deadline. Then we could count the “votes” for each, and choose an informed number of entrants to go to the final. Flexibility is good here.

2. The final round would then work like before, with the potential to act as the sponsorship prize raffle it has done for many years.

Come to think, stage 1 could also serve as the “okay everyone, which awards are we doing this year?” preparation stage. Consider the categories in a live contest between each other, so those with the most interest are better placed to run to the final. That means we could match the sponsors and wingnuts available, with the most lively categories.

I think this setup could even handle the creative chaos of the photography award, a troublesome fan favourite if there ever was one.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 Sep 2019, 12:31

Muirium wrote:
1. Combine the entrant gathering and first rounds of voting into one. So I’d have people nominate entries on a thread per award category, and ask for forum members to simply “second” the entries (post a quote with +1) they agree are worth going forward. That combines a poll with a rolling restart as new entrants emerge before deadline. Then we could count the “votes” for each, and choose an informed number of entrants to go to the final. Flexibility is good here.
so, as soon as someone/something is nominated you add it to the poll with 1 vote and people either vote for it or post new nomination. Is that what you mean? I kinda like it.

we could even don't have categories in that round, and form the categories later based on what we have.
Muirium wrote:
Come to think, stage 1 could also serve as the “okay everyone, which awards are we doing this year?” preparation stage.
and maybe that was your idea as well.

Muirium
µ

03 Sep 2019, 15:21

Exactly!

I think we could do it all right here on DT without any formal infrastructure changes. Simply use straightforward regular threads in the initial round, and we count people’s votes based on them saying +1 in their posts. The only true poll needed is the final round for each award.

Why I like informal “post polls” is because they can keep running while people add new entries. Our own forum voting system resets every time anything is added. Let’s just work around it.

Besides, you see how many more people contribute (nominations and opinions) when the awards are already running. Going less formal / more flexible will better suit our actual users. The way to gauge interest is to run the awards!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 Sep 2019, 16:36

I like it informal, I don't like the "+1" thing much because it means someone has to keep track manually.

Muirium
µ

03 Sep 2019, 18:45

True. But the action on thread should be low enough to tally fairly easily. We don’t need scientific rigour or even a live count. Just a deadline, really. People will get a feel for it by taking part.

If there is a better way to run polls, perhaps we could and should take that. But with the static “all contestants form a line at the start” style we’ve always used, the downsides are obvious. Instead of a manual count, we wind up with a protracted and unsatisfying organising pre-stage. That’s why the awards have become a drag, right?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Sep 2019, 08:19

I think handling the qualification like Muirium suggests is the best compromise we can have right now.

Apart from that we need to contact the sponsors and write some copy for each category and each nominee. @Redmaus look at previous DTA to get a glimpse of what that means.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

04 Sep 2019, 08:21

I would suggest simply forbidding off-topic posts in such a polling thread.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Sep 2019, 08:27

yep, that's what I meant

CountNoctua

04 Sep 2019, 08:52

I haven't been here long enough to even to know what DTA is (until reading the thread, that is) but I think having some external component - as simple as using youtube and imgur for publically shared entry uploads, cross promotion on Reddit and GH (if allowed/possible to work something out) - would be a good way to draw in new members.

Now would be a good time especially as interest in keyboards is starting to go semi-mainstream, at least within the gaming/computer enthusiast community.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Sep 2019, 09:11

I find it a great idea @CountNoctua, anyone willing to take care of that?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Sep 2019, 17:49

is there really nobody willing to help? it would be terribly sad if this year ends up without DTA.

elecplus

07 Sep 2019, 18:19

I would be willing to donate a keyboard to a winner. Unfortunately, too much personal stuff going on right now to manage the project.

ZedTheMan

07 Sep 2019, 19:53

I'd also be willing to donate a board to a winner.

I'm also willing to help promote to outside communities, like CountNoctua suggested, but I am not certain how to gather them all or how we want to present it. Perhaps I could make a submission thread and compile them all on the top post?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

07 Sep 2019, 20:04

ZedTheMan wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 19:53
I'd also be willing to donate a board to a winner.

I'm also willing to help promote to outside communities, like CountNoctua suggested, but I am not certain how to gather them all or how we want to present it. Perhaps I could make a submission thread and compile them all on the top post?

Count me three, I have plenty of donation boards :mrgreen:

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

08 Sep 2019, 04:07

elecplus pinged me. I may have some spare cycles here to help. Watching this thread if nothing else.

CountNoctua

09 Sep 2019, 01:57

I can do graphics for the categories if needed. Not a pro or anything, but I can probably put some serviceable ones together.

Also willing to help out with other stuff. Maybe make some new Deskthority merch designs and products and add to prize pool, if Deskthority staff/admin are okay with that (would ask for approval before finalizing, not going to just start selling t-shirts in Times Square :P... but if you see an unlicensed sesame street character hawking DT shirts, stop by and say hi :lol: ). Would love to get ideas for this, and been meaning to do a custom deskpad, anyway.

When is this scheduled for? I might also have a board, keycaps, and/or other items to possibly add to prize pool at that point.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

09 Sep 2019, 08:24

if you want to add graphics for the merch, please do!

regarding the categories we need to find a theme for this year's awards and create some poster images. There is no firm date yet, but "soon" :)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Sep 2019, 10:02

thanks to those who gave their availability, only one person actually contacted me in PM but they can't take care of the whole process and we don't have anybody handling what is missing. I also really appreciate all those who offered to sponsor the event. I'm deeply sorry... no actually I'm more like frustrated... but this year we won't have the DTA. I will be concentrating my thin resources on other aspects of DT.

elecplus

28 Sep 2019, 20:18

This is really sad!

ZedTheMan

28 Sep 2019, 23:44

Damn, this is a sad thing to see.

Findecanor

29 Sep 2019, 03:07

I think that to get people to contribute, we would clearly defined roles for people to volunteer for.
People would read a description of a role and say "Hey, I could do that. I'm good at that".

Anyway, for me the point was always the vote, not anything around it.
I suppose the sponsors and voter prizes are what requires the most work, but they were always a means to an end: to get more people to vote in the awards.
Why not have the vote anyway, just for continuity's sake?
No theme, no prizes, no sponsors, no wingnuts. Just the honour (and the shame: The Ping Award is required).

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

Oh no man, I did not want to see this when I logged in tonight. :(

Hak Foo

29 Sep 2019, 09:54

Findecanor wrote:
Anyway, for me the point was always the vote, not anything around it.
I suppose the sponsors and voter prizes are what requires the most work, but they were always a means to an end: to get more people to vote in the awards.
Why not have the vote anyway, just for continuity's sake?
No theme, no prizes, no sponsors, no wingnuts. Just the honour (and the shame: The Ping Award is required).
Agreed. The vote, nomination process, and its discussion is what makes the DTA process fun. It's a great way to sum up the year .

I would try to retain a single prize though-- the Deskthority award because there are some "lifetime/outstanding achievement" recipients that are outside our community and probably don't realize what they've done for us.

Muirium
µ

29 Sep 2019, 10:41

Thirded. All we really need, if prizes and sponsors are out the window, is a few new threads in the DTAs subforum* and just as few of us with persistence to man the effort when it’s live. If we squabble, it might even be more entertaining than before! Pings to the system riggers!

*Do we need a moderator for that part?

Something hazy is beginning to form in my mind…
Welcome to the 2019 Deskthority Awards!

It’s a sham!

Thanks to our collective incompetence, this year we are proud to announce our fantastic innovation of the DTAs with NO PRIZES. That’s right! For your chance to win an eye watering, mind bending, pants looseningly tasty prize of ABSOLUTELY NOTHING you’ve come to the right place.

Also: we forgot to make up the rules. So we are cobbling those together ON THE FLY. You heard right. Experience the presidential thrills of RIGGING a contest to your own advantage in REAL TIME. Relish the potential for last minute categories to pass the electoral college I can’t believe it’s a FIRST ROUND. Gasp as people LOOSE THERE SHIF T at the audacity of a process gone stark raving YOU'VE BEEN HAD. Controversy guaranteed. We have reached the contest end game, people, we are THROUGH the LOOKING GLASS.
The award for this year’s very best, and also abjectly worst drama goes to the DTAs. Take a slow hand, guys. You deserved it.

So, sit back, spill some popcorn on your Clacks and get nominating!

Don’t know about you, but I’d tune in for that!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Sep 2019, 12:10

yes we can do that

Muirium
µ

29 Sep 2019, 19:08

The con is on!

daguil68367

30 Sep 2019, 16:22

let's goooo!

andrewjoy

30 Sep 2019, 17:19

I can throw some draft threads together.

What topics do we want to go for this year.

Lets try to get a few prizes tho for the big ones.

I was thinking we should make this more about the community rather than products. Any prize does not need to be big but i think it should be related to the area the award is for.

The Deskthority Award ( if we can get a wingnut just for this one ?)
Best Build or Restoration ( prize needed , something related to project work ( nice soldering iron etc))
Best Vintage Find ( prize needed , should be vintage related)
Best Community Project ( not sure on prize for this ?)
The Ping ( anyone got a crappy rubber dome lying around , dirty and yellow with shiny caps ?)

I don't think i have access to add a section for DTA 2019 but can that be created and then hidden from none mods so that i can get to work.

Google doc started to get ideas together. please PM me for access if you want to add / change stuff.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17kn ... sp=sharing

Return to “Deskthority talk”