Deskthority Awards 2019 ~ Phase 1: The nominations

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Nov 2019, 11:08

DTA2019.jpg
DTA2019.jpg (56.21 KiB) Viewed 32002 times

Welcome to the annual Deskthority Awards!

This year's awards are completely community driven. You not only decide who is a worthy nominee but you also get to pick the categories!

Rules

We do not have categories, so you'll post ALL your nominations right here in this thread, you may suggest a category best suited for your nominations but of course the actual categories will be decided based on the aggregated results.

Based on all the nominations we will then group them into sensible categories and go straight to the final round!

So rules are simple.
- You've got until 2019-11-22 at 23:59 UTC to send your nominations right in this thread
- There is no limit to the number of nominations each user can post
- You must accompany your nominations with the reason for the nomination
- You may suggest a category for the nominations

Prizes
n6sqkXv.jpg
n6sqkXv.jpg (161.63 KiB) Viewed 32002 times
Winners for each category will get a wingnut. Not sure if and who will get a gold one.

What about the random loot for all the participants? Simple. There are none. YAY!

Webmaster's note

I would try to keep this community/project based, what I'm trying to say is that nominating "Cooler Master" or "Cherry" would be just a waste of wingnuts... but anyway I'm not imposing this rule, it's up to you.

And now send your nominations!

The nominations so far:

purdobol

14 Nov 2019, 12:18

Finally a proper case for the Vortex ViBE
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22099

Simple idea, good execution. Final result looks great.
I think this one is worthy of DTA nomination.
matt3o wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 11:08
Winners for each category will get a wingnut. Not sure if and who will get a gold one.
I think the one with the most "votes" in total should get a gold wingnut.

kmnov2017

14 Nov 2019, 17:46

I'd like to nominate Heikkonen's beamspring find for the category "Best Relic Find of 2019"

Extremely rare beamspring and as far as I can remember, I've seen only one (or is it two?) documented here...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22863

Additionally, I'd like to nominate karlmartin95’s F77 find on the streets of Argentina to the same category.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22176

This one needs no explanation, with only 4 prior documentations on DT and one unusual listing on eBay Greece sometime in August 2019 for a whopping USD 3750, this HAS to be the most desirable keyboard ever.

I'd be curious to see which of these two keyboards gets the votes...
Last edited by kmnov2017 on 14 Nov 2019, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

JP!

14 Nov 2019, 19:13

Can I preemptively nominate the new model F project for 2020 if / when this project materializes.

Sangdrax

14 Nov 2019, 19:18

I nominate DMA for best project for the Magnetic Valve switch conversion added to Commonsense this year. It made a new legion of beautiful boards usable again on modern PC's.

I know he won last year, but this is different enough to be considered another project I think?

xxhellfirexx

15 Nov 2019, 05:52

I would like to nominate the red Alps discovery by XTaran for best find of the year.

viewtopic.php?t=20339&p=431372

I also nominate these unusual Alps switches to the same category.

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=22325&p=449295

I would nominate snacksthecat's well documented Micro Switch Hall Effect project as the project of the year.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21908

ZedTheMan

15 Nov 2019, 19:24

I would nominate my triple Beamspring restoration post, but I've been slacking, and it feels very wrong to nominate my own post! Maybe the Xwhatsit solenoid controller replacement will be noteworthy.

kmnov2017

16 Nov 2019, 10:05

I'd like to nominate two users for the best pictures of keyboards in their home office setup.
Maybe the category can be called "Best Home Office Setup 2019" or "Best pictures in Gallery - 2019"

1. Darcruix's beamspring and F107

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1919&p=440294#p440294

2. Tron's collection of beamsprings

viewtopic.php?p=440503#p440503

darkcruix

16 Nov 2019, 10:39

Thanks for the nomination kmnov2017 - I can only say, I would like to nominate you for the restoration of your Model F:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21888&p=444524#p444524

Very well done.

Muirium
µ

16 Nov 2019, 11:00

Glad to see this charabanc chugging along. I’ve been absent most the year so don’t really know what’s been happening or what to nominate. But don’t take that quietness as disinterest!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

16 Nov 2019, 19:48

Muirium wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 11:00
[…] don’t take that quietness as disinterest!
Same here :mrgreen:

Tias

16 Nov 2019, 20:19

I'd like to nominate Mattr567 for restoring and (un)saving his G80-2100 which sustained some heavy damage during shipping viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21977

The 2100 is imo an iconic board, and bringing this particular one back to life as well as turning it into a even more iconic unsaver is truly a awesome project

ZedTheMan

17 Nov 2019, 02:22

I'm going to pre-emptively nominate this thread, if it works how we expect it to, it should help with the issue of expensive/hard to find/make solenoid driving. Kmnov2017
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23048&p=455538#p455538

And while I'm at it, sure, triple Beamspring restoration thread of mine, I'll be updating it with the those new solenoid driver replacements. :
ZedTheMan.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22681

Oblotzky

17 Nov 2019, 17:09

I nominate RAMA (https://rama.works/) for creating great custom keyboards and making them available without unit limits.

I also nominate TGR for creating stunning high quality customs (https://www.instagram.com/yuktsi/) and being an overall wholesome guy.
Last edited by Oblotzky on 17 Nov 2019, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Nov 2019, 17:22

instagram link requires login

orihalcon

17 Nov 2019, 22:26

Look at all those wing nuts! There's so many great projects on DT that it's hard to think of specific ones that stand out from memory. I've always enjoyed OldIsNew's and SnacksTheCat's restorations, though hard to name a specific one.

Now I just have to come up with a memorable project that I can post to be in the running next year :lol:

Oblotzky

17 Nov 2019, 22:48

matt3o wrote:
17 Nov 2019, 17:22
instagram link requires login
Fixed, this one doesn't :)

davkol

17 Nov 2019, 23:23

I shall nominate:

Ploopy: the first accessible DIY modern trackball kit (at least to my knowledge)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22899

iso's MEM 3d printed modular ergonomic mouse: a documented custom-made mouse tailored for ones hand is great progress

Michael Stapelberg for the Kinesis Advantage replacement controller (aka Stapelberg mod) and the new kinX project that also aims at minimizing keyboard latency

crystalhand for making Dactyl/Manuform more easily available to wider public

FalbaTech: making nice keyboard cases locally, building good ergonomic designs like Redox and ErgoDash

ErgoWarp for experimenting with the keyboard shape; a picture is worth a thousand words:

depletedvespene

18 Nov 2019, 02:42

I would like to nominate redmaus, in the category "The early bird gets the worm.", for his massive haul from Computer Reset. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22055

I would have liked to nominate karlmartin95 as well, but I came in too late. May I suggest the category "Chance favors the prepared mind." for his F77 find.

On the other hand, due to the obvious conflict of interest, I must sadly refrain from nominating snacksthecat in the "Best giveaway." category, for his giveaway of the hexed boneshaker keyboard. See viewtopic.php?f=61&t=21128

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Nov 2019, 08:37

please guys, do not "maybe" or "refrain from nominating" or "not nominate". You either nominate or not :P

depletedvespene

18 Nov 2019, 10:11

matt3o wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 08:37
please guys, do not "maybe" or "refrain from nominating" or "not nominate". You either nominate or not :P
I'm trying to be diplomatic here. :x

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Nov 2019, 17:22

I updated the list of the nominations, please check if everything looks fine and be more specific if you want to nominate something/someone :P

Keep the nomination coming. So far it's mostly cool finds, restoration and custom projects.

mind_prepared

19 Nov 2019, 19:16

on a side note, what does a (artistic, useless) wing nut have to do with keyboards? Isn't a wing nut more reminiscent of an era when there were no computers, and hence no computer keyboards (mechanical or other)?

My crummy little keyboard controller project has not been nominated (it was featured in German c't computer magazine last year though, so no grudges), but if it ever were and if I were to win something, I would rather get a T Shirt or something like that than this weirdly sexual looking paperweight! =^o

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

19 Nov 2019, 21:00

I nominate mind_prepared's crummy little keyboard controller project, just to be difficult if nothing else. :evilgeek:

I nominate wcass for his Model M work, DMA for his firmware work, and mcmaxmcmc for his collection efforts. As it happens I ran into all three of them at the Bay Area Keyboard Meetup.

DMA

20 Nov 2019, 03:39

mind_prepared wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 19:16
on a side note, what does a (artistic, useless) wing nut have to do with keyboards? Isn't a wing nut more reminiscent of an era when there were no computers, and hence no computer keyboards (mechanical or other)?
It has an MX mount, so it's not that useless. Would make a good Esc key (if your handle is HaaTa - F-row).
If you have a non-MX-mount keys it's not of much use, that's true.

The value is mostly that you can't sell it and it's not easily reproduceable (although, y'know, Chinese guys).

Muirium
µ

20 Nov 2019, 12:37

Mind everyone that this stage of the compact sized 2019 DTAs is also about winnowing down the field for the final vote. Feel free to upvote nominees as they come in.

Me? I’m giving +1 for DMA’s continued insanity with Common Sense.

By the way: has Hasu ever won a DTA? I’m using TMK more than ever now, and loving Unimap.

mind_prepared

20 Nov 2019, 13:57

DMA wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 03:39

It has an MX mount, so it's not that useless. ... The value is mostly that you can't sell it and it's not easily reproduceable (although, y'know, Chinese guys).
Sure, agreed, but why a wing nut? Apparently because nuts and bolts are symbolic of 'mechanics'. I reckon that's why it was chosen to represent a self-proclaimed 'mechanical keyboard authority'. Ok, I got that part. But there's not much you can do with it besides putting it on top of your desk or something like that, for one. A graphical representation of a wing nut on a T-Shirt or hat on the other hand could be worn. Hard to brag about a wing nut lying in a drawer somewhere. =^p

Moreover, has anyone on here - mostly computer geeks I presume - ever considered the not so flattering and possibly misleading connotations of the word 'nut'? The Urban Dictionary has a whole range of disparaging connotations for the term 'wing nut'. Check it out: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... Wing%20Nut
Hehe, seems more like a befitting award at the superdork jamborees as far as I'm concerned. =^o

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Nov 2019, 16:50

A "silver" or "golden" trophkey is perfect as an award in the keyboard community. Not a t-shirt. And you go through lengths to explain the term wing nut to us like we're idiots, yet fail to recognize that's exactly the design - it's a tongue-in-cheek play on that we are keyboard wingnuts, keyboard otaku. It is a very good design.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Nov 2019, 17:30

mind_prepared wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 13:57
Hehe, seems more like a befitting award at the superdork jamborees as far as I'm concerned. =^o
isn't that the whole point?

DMA

20 Nov 2019, 17:42

Now you MUST teespring the "I won DTA 2019 and all I've got was this lousy T-shirt" T-shirt, matt3o.

Return to “Deskthority talk”