Go to newest post broken

Icarium

11 Apr 2012, 10:08

For about three days now clicking the icon on a thread to go to the newest post doesn't work for me anymore.
I usually end up on the second to last page.
Last edited by Icarium on 10 May 2012, 17:49, edited 2 times in total.

xbb

11 Apr 2012, 14:20

Please try now and let us know

Icarium

11 Apr 2012, 14:38

Still doesn't work. Is there any way I can help you debug?

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Apr 2012, 15:22

Can't replicate. Are you sure there are no unread posts on the second to last page? Icon next to post time is slightly colored in that case.

Icarium

11 Apr 2012, 15:33

I'm sure, I did it on the same thread several times and even on threads where I have read several posts on the last page I'm sometimes taken to the one before that.

Just tried again with the GH vs DT thread. I'm taken to ripster's second post on page 17. Did I miss a new "mark as read button" or something? :)

off

11 Apr 2012, 15:51

ripsterhack'd

..clear your cache? (sorry can't think of anything else)

Icarium

11 Apr 2012, 16:08

Good idea, let me try.

Seems to help...

itlnstln

11 Apr 2012, 16:10

Sometimes, when there are a lot of pics, it gets a little wonky, but otherwise, it seems to work fine.

xbb

12 Apr 2012, 02:14

itlnstln wrote:Sometimes, when there are a lot of pics, it gets a little wonky, but otherwise, it seems to work fine.
That's because there is no width/height set on images at page load.

off

12 Apr 2012, 11:11

xbb wrote:
itlnstln wrote:Sometimes, when there are a lot of pics, it gets a little wonky, but otherwise, it seems to work fine.
That's because there is no width/height set on images at page load.
Yeah, that is quite annoying- especially when you just want to see the last post on a page with loads of pictures; you can press 'End' all you like, but untill the page is actually done loading phat chance you'll be able to read anything there.

Icarium

17 Apr 2012, 08:24

Clearing the cache helps but this is still annoying. Is it a local problem or should I report it upstream?

Icarium

18 Apr 2012, 14:19

Isn't there some phpBB caching setting to change? :)

off

18 Apr 2012, 14:32

Still think it's weird that clearing your cache actually worked; I haven't experienced this myself (and don't clear cookies/history etc much if at all; temp files do get deleted semi regularly though), although I don't click the icon just the 'jump to post' text, which in the Spy is the topic title, so still the same as the icon (#unread). Just noticed the icons in spy jump to #unread, but the topic titles jump directly to the visualised post.
And it can't be related to this picture issue seeing how you end up on a different page.. presuming you can see that you are not on the last page without reloading first.
Could you post the exact link data that fails? (as in 'copy link url' before you click, then IF it shows the fail, paste it here and tell us where you failed to).

also, an image placeholder fix would be awesome ;)

Icarium

18 Apr 2012, 15:20

Okay so marketplace, for sale misc doubleshots blabla
this is the link from the icon
http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... ead#unread
this is were I end up
http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... tml#p43149
I have no idea why this is happening.

What's that about images?

off

18 Apr 2012, 15:29

aha, I end up here http://deskthority.net/post43420.html#p43420 so it must be woody!

In all seriousness, you are sure you were logged in the times that you read that thread beyond the post you linked? Because those are two different 'unread' statusses, and it's the only explanation I can think of.

Images, see higer up in this thread: when you load a page to a specific post number, then while it is loading it will often first jump to that post, then insert all the posted images, thus shooting you way up on the page, back to where you've already read.

JBert

18 Apr 2012, 16:44

I've been encountering this repeatedly as well, even in threads which I opened just mere minutes before.

off

18 Apr 2012, 16:54

JBert wrote:I've been encountering this repeatedly as well, even in threads which I opened just mere minutes before.
You are referring to what Icarium described I take it?
then please answer this for your case:
"you are sure you were logged in the times that you read that thread beyond the post you linked?
Because those are two different 'unread' statusses, and it's the only explanation I can think of."

Icarium

18 Apr 2012, 17:20

I can answer that just as well: Yes.

I am apparently logged in from several machines at the same time, though. Maybe that could cause the issue.

Maybe that messes up my session serverside...

off

18 Apr 2012, 17:56

hmm.. I'm out of possible causes, esp since I have absolutely no clue as to how phpbb works, so I'm off.
Hope someone will help you guys out here; and good to check if jbert uses multiple sessions simultaneously as well. GL!

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Apr 2012, 17:57

Do you use Firefox?

Icarium

18 Apr 2012, 18:36

Yes.

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Apr 2012, 18:48

There is some url rewriting going on since about the same time you reported problems. I noticed Firefox caching 301 responses after a post was moved to another topic but I was still taken to the old topic.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9457 ... refox-only
Maybe related, not sure...

kbdfr
The Tiproman

18 Apr 2012, 18:57

I use Firefox and never had the slightest problem.

off

18 Apr 2012, 19:08

well I use firefox and never had any of this either; but there's lots of variables left.
plugins, version, settings, etc.
I'm still running 3 fwiw.

ripster

18 Apr 2012, 20:17

Safari works fine.

In fact much better than teeny tiny GH icons.

Sent From Brother Ripster's iPad

JBert

18 Apr 2012, 20:32

off wrote:hmm.. I'm out of possible causes, esp since I have absolutely no clue as to how phpbb works, so I'm off.
Hope someone will help you guys out here; and good to check if jbert uses multiple sessions simultaneously as well. GL!
Let's see...
  • Firefox 10.0.1
  • I have multiple sessions, but I get the problem multiple times on the same PC where "Remember me" is checked (hence I remain logged in).
  • Extensions: vimperator, noscript, adblock, requestpolicy

Icarium

18 Apr 2012, 21:36

I'm on 11.0 on this machine...can tell you about the others tomorrow.

How could we debug this? Who is hosting this site? Do we have shell access? Can we look at the apache log files? If it actually is an apache. :)

off

18 Apr 2012, 22:09

Could you guys check to what it is linked, like your account or computer?
I'm using abp, ns, rp (and a crapton more) as well, though with v3; working fine.
*edit: Also, check if the post you land on is the post that is in the url-bar.

Icarium

19 Apr 2012, 07:47

I'm having this issue on all 3 of my machines. I could try a different browser I suppose.

off

21 Apr 2012, 22:56

off wrote:check if the post you land on is the post that is in the url-bar.
What I experience really is just the page loading 'wrongly' (i.e. afaik it's loaded images that make me end up at a post somewhere higher up than intended; the adressbar shows where I should be, clicking there and hitting enter makes me go there).
Webwit, any new insights on what Icarium may be experiencing?

Return to “Deskthority talk”