For sale! Deskthority is looking for a new owner

webwit
Wild Duck

24 Feb 2021, 11:37

Hi all. Deskthority was founded in Januari 2011, so it's been 10 years I've been pulling this baby. The last couple of years have been much easier, since Matt3o became the main administrator. Still, I'm finding myself no longer putting in the desired effort I'd expect from an owner, it's just the natural way of things just like many of you have experienced with the keyboard hobby itself where the curve of engagement goes up and then down.

So I've decided to look for a new owner, to do a better job, and matt3o is also helping, and for his efforts will get part of the proceeds. The good news is, we're really looking for a good new owner, and are not desperate to sell to less respected parties because we quickly need money or something like that. If no good new owner is found or if no reasonably price close to market value is offered, probably nothing will happen. I will not rule from the grave, but I expect the new owner(s) to be a good custodian of the forum, and similarly of the open source wiki. There's a lot of content in both which has been provided for enthousiasts by volunteers, and I expect the new owner(s) to understand this geek culture and respect that and not mess that up.

If you're interested please PM me and matt3o with your questions or offers!

depletedvespene

24 Feb 2021, 11:45

WOAH. Thanks for your continued efforts, both.

mcmaxmcmc

24 Feb 2021, 11:46

It's the end of an era. I wish you Godspeed in passing the server down to the "right" person. :)

Wodan
ISO Advocate

24 Feb 2021, 12:01

Thanks very much for all the years you've kept this up and running!

Chyros

24 Feb 2021, 12:42

Dayum! Well, I guess it was gonna happen at some point. Thanks so much for keeping DT going all this time, guys! :D

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Feb 2021, 13:25

WHHHAAAT?! I didn't know anything about it! Damn! I QUIT!
Spoiler:
kidding

Lbibass

24 Feb 2021, 15:08

Hey.

Good luck. Thanks for all the work you've done.

cookie

24 Feb 2021, 15:23

End of an era indeed... Thanks a lot for all the effort you've put in Webwit!

Razerban

24 Feb 2021, 15:51

Thank you both for keeping DT up all this time !!!

headphone_jack

24 Feb 2021, 15:52

Enjoy your keyboard retirement!

arkanoid

24 Feb 2021, 16:09

Thank you both. Hope we can find a good new owner!

ifohancroft

24 Feb 2021, 16:41

Damn! That's sad to hear, although I can understand your decision.

Thanks to both of you for all the work you've done!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

24 Feb 2021, 17:24

I nominate Muirium, since he's recently come back from the dead.

I'll send a DM to inquire about some details out of curiosity but I'm already stretched thin.

Findecanor

24 Feb 2021, 17:29

I hope this works out well.
Unfortunately, I'm not made of money.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Feb 2021, 17:58

just to be clear... I'm not going anywhere. The site is safe and sound and doesn't need a new admin at the moment

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

24 Feb 2021, 18:07

Thanks for everything, webwit. Without your efforts, I may never have discovered this passion!

Rob27shred

24 Feb 2021, 18:21

Thanks for making this awesome site & all the work you've put into it webwit! It's been an invaluable resource for me through my years in the hobby & I give you a ton of respect for wanting to keep it that way with whoever buys the site! GL with the sale & I hope to still see you around here in the future!

Reimu64

24 Feb 2021, 18:44

Thank you for all the great work over the last 10 years! Good luck with the sale and I hope for the same great success for the new owners.

Sturmtiger001

24 Feb 2021, 19:02

Ten whole years, thanks so much for keeping this wonderful place up and running, fingers crossed we find as equally good of a replacement.

Jacobalbertus1

24 Feb 2021, 19:18

WOW! I didn't expect this today, but to who the new owners to be, I hope they don't run it into the ground and only work on making this a better place to be online. This wiki is literally most of the reason I have been in this hobby, and I hope to add some more things to it, time to start Dt's new chapter.

ZedTheMan

24 Feb 2021, 19:57

Webwit, you brought this site to us.
Thank you.
May it continue!

webwit
Wild Duck

24 Feb 2021, 20:09

P.S. It's entirely up to matt3o (and the new owner) if and in what capacity he will remain in the team running the site. He's been an invaluable admin, and has been "the team" mostly by himself! For myself, I have no plans of disappearing. Actually this might give me more time for trolling Alps fanboys.

Tonyv_73

24 Feb 2021, 20:18

I just joined like 2 weeks ago! Best of luck with your future endeavors!

sharktastica

24 Feb 2021, 21:45

Ditto to what everyone else says, thanks for all that you've done! Good luck with your endeavours!

Easy_Spinach

24 Feb 2021, 22:24

Isn't DT a non profit kinda thing? I don't see any ads or anything else that generates a revenue.
I feel like if someone is going to spend money buying it he will want deskthority to become a lucrative endeavour in return. Big changes ahead I suppose :(

adhoc

24 Feb 2021, 22:32

Sad to hear that, but might also open opportunity to good new things to come.

Just out of curiosity, what's the ballpark worth of such a site? Hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands?

Matt3o really did an amazing job here. It's easily the best forum I've ever seen.

ddrfraser1

24 Feb 2021, 22:40

I bid 50 Drachma!

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

Thanks so much webwit, for making this site which in my eyes will always be the pinnacle of keyboard enlightenment. Hope you have a great retirement :)

webwit
Wild Duck

24 Feb 2021, 23:11

adhoc wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 22:32
Just out of curiosity, what's the ballpark worth of such a site? Hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands?
ddrfraser1 wrote:

I bid 50 Drachma bitcoin!
Sold!

TheInverseKey

24 Feb 2021, 23:20

Glad that I was able to contribute to this community and hope that it continues well into the future.

Return to “Deskthority talk”