Deskthority blog/articles - thoughts, opinions, contributions?

Muirium
µ

08 Apr 2021, 20:59

How does DESKSORORITY look in our font, I wonder?

Rayndalf

09 Apr 2021, 11:31

Muirium wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 20:59
How does DESKSORORITY look in our font, I wonder?
:idea: Does anyone has the Deskthority font on hand? I want to have some stickers printed...

Muirium
µ

09 Apr 2021, 12:32

I can't remember if Matteo told us what it is! Here's the thread when it first went live. And here's an alt logo which never quite made it:

Ah, here we go: Barlow Semi Condensed.

micmil

11 Apr 2021, 07:25

Who gives a rat's ass what happens around here as long as it doesn't break things? Would having another link under the logo really piss that many people off?

The plain fact of the matter is a forum is a terrible place for long-format informational posts. Yeah, you heard me. When you open up a thread and see seventeen paragraphs do you immediately think "Oh, goodie gumdrop, it's an info dump!" or do you think "What kind of wank is this micmil jackwagon spewing now?"

It's the latter. It's always the latter. Because you don't expect an info dump in a forum thread even in a forum containing large amounts of info. What makes it worse is that it's not always easy to find said dump when you need it. Forums are terrible for cataloguing information.

By the same token, wikis are terrible for certain types of factual information. It may be well-researched long-form content but if it has a narrative and is structured to be compelling rather than purely informative it doesn't belong in a wiki.

I can absolutely see where a blog would be useful in telling the story of so much hardware. Hell, I can think of a dozen things I'd love to research and write about without even really trying. At the glacial pace my projects have taken on lately (I'm still working on the Soarer's thing, believe it or not.) that would take quite some time but nobody ever said blogs have to be daily, weekly, or even monthly.

ifohancroft

26 Apr 2021, 07:36

I reread keyboardjoy's comment on this post, about bringibg new people in, and this got me thinking:

I am new. I mean I think my account is couple of years old here at this point, but that's still pretty new.

I got here through word of mouth and from r/MK and GeekHack and IRC mentioning Deskthority.

I feel like Deskthority is a place you graduate to, in your keyboard journey and the interested will inevitably find it at a certain point.

Perhaps it's worth looking at the rate in which DT has gotten new users in recent years and if the stats are good, keep things as they are?

We should promote it, of course, but we should definitely not dumb it down, just to get new people. I am not saying that anyone has said that we should. I am just saying that I think DT should continue being the place you graduate to.

keyboardjoy

04 May 2021, 12:04

ifohancroft wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 07:36
I reread keyboardjoy's comment on this post, about bringibg new people in, and this got me thinking:

I am new. I mean I think my account is couple of years old here at this point, but that's still pretty new.

I got here through word of mouth and from r/MK and GeekHack and IRC mentioning Deskthority.

I feel like Deskthority is a place you graduate to, in your keyboard journey and the interested will inevitably find it at a certain point.

Perhaps it's worth looking at the rate in which DT has gotten new users in recent years and if the stats are good, keep things as they are?

We should promote it, of course, but we should definitely not dumb it down, just to get new people. I am not saying that anyone has said that we should. I am just saying that I think DT should continue being the place you graduate to.
Very valid points - I like how you describe it as a 'graduation' ... that's how I felt.

I have very limited analytics data but I'll see what new user acquisition is like and if there are meaningful statistics, I can report them back.

Return to “Deskthority talk”