The mystery of DT's new owner - SOLVED

Archie

07 Jul 2021, 21:35

Well, repeated the process, and finally succeeded.

Archie

07 Jul 2021, 21:42

One more question: registered as "Archie" but nickname is displayed as "archie": if possible, I'd prefer to fix that.

Myoth

07 Jul 2021, 21:49

Archie wrote:
07 Jul 2021, 21:42
One more question: registered as "Archie" but nickname is displayed as "archie": if possible, I'd prefer to fix that.
just maybe you could use the dedicated nexthority forum instead of clogging DT

: )

Archie

07 Jul 2021, 21:52

I'm already using it. 8-)

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

07 Jul 2021, 22:29

Archie wrote:
07 Jul 2021, 21:52
I'm already using it. 8-)
Welcome, I hope you enjoy your stay :P

Archie

07 Jul 2021, 22:32

Many thanks for your effort!

ifohancroft

12 Jul 2021, 21:11

1. Did the AMA already happen? I just found out that it did already happen. Here is the post about it, it contains an audio recording as well: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=25948

2. Can we please be civil in the forum, and set aside one day per year where we meet IRL and indiscriminately fling poop at each other instead?

3. Yes, the information wasn't disclosed earlier and it is coming out now (that the forum is owned by a company) and it is looking bad. Yeah, that's bad, but I choose to believe that Oliver has good intentions, until he actually does something detrimental to the forum. Aftel all, if he does something detrimental to the forum, there is no force in the world capable of stopping us from migrating. Just look at what happened with Freenode and Libera Chat.

4. As far as I am concerned, webwit has the right to sell the forum. It was his.

purdobol

12 Jul 2021, 22:38

ifohancroft wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 21:11
1. Did the AMA already happen? I just found out that it did already happen. Here is the post about it, it contains an audio recording as well: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=25948
Thanks!

Archie

14 Jul 2021, 18:14

Meanwhile, it looks like forum is currently in abandoned state: spam bots have essentially captured at least "Input devices" section, and there's no any signs that the new possessor is bothered...

mode1ace

25 Aug 2021, 09:03

It's pretty funny how literally nothing has happened.

fireglow

04 Dec 2022, 07:10

Wow, a lot has happened on this site.

Muirium
µ

04 Dec 2022, 12:32

To be fair: there was also this. We’re cruising along in no admin but active moderation mode since. You can tell from the zero spam tolerance. It was real bad for a while till we did.

RBithrey

09 Jan 2023, 18:22

Not sure who needs to know this, but the website of OneCommerce now mentions a focus on the MENA region. Not sure what this means for DT.

https://www.onecommerce.group/

soyuz

09 Jan 2023, 23:05

who could have predicted this

Muirium
µ

10 Jan 2023, 03:19

Does that mean we’re getting sold to a Middle Eastern or an Asian gambling site? Place bets now!

TheInverseKey

10 Jan 2023, 05:08

Ohhh Oliver

wobbled

10 Jan 2023, 17:55

Perhaps dear old Oliver can sell Deskthority back to us

Wodan
ISO Advocate

10 Jan 2023, 17:59

wobbled wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 17:55
Perhaps dear old Oliver can sell Deskthority back to us
Investments like that are usually expected to yield 300-500% profit
We're basically talking about Richard Gere from from Pretty Woman here.

Muirium
µ

10 Jan 2023, 19:32

And we’re Julia Roberts?

Olga, you hear that?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

11 Jan 2023, 13:58

Muirium wrote:
And we’re Julia Roberts?
Do you feel like Julia Roberts?
I certainly don't.

RBithrey

12 Jan 2023, 13:58

Wodan wrote:
11 Jan 2023, 13:58
Muirium wrote:
And we’re Julia Roberts?
Do you feel like Julia Roberts?
I certainly don't.
That would be wishful thinking...

https://youtu.be/XBZUz4C6kqk

Crizender

15 Feb 2023, 20:12

As a heads up for all, there's been some new information in regards to our benevolent overlords over at OneCommerce(the owners of DT). Below is a summary of some of the information that can be found online, all available through PUBLIC LinkedIn accounts and Companies house, the register for limited companies in the UK(which is also publicly available here: https://find-and-update.company-informa ... ng-history)

1. As per the published accounts for the Year end up to the 31st December 2021, OneCommerce made a loss of £685,142, as per the statement of financial position. This leaves them with negative equity (More liabilities than assets in the company). This could just be "expansion" costs, but could also imply that their purchasing of websites for profit has failed. The 2022 accounts have not been published yet, but should help to give a better picture overall.
2. As of 27th December 2022, two directors were terminated from Onecommerce Services UK ltd. One of these was Oliver, better known as Keyboardjoy.
3. As of the same date, a new Director was appointed to Onecommerce, who resides in the UAE.
4. As is partially known, Onecommerce is shifting its business to services in the MENA region (Middle-east and Northern Africa).
5. Related to the above, Oliver is still working for OneCommerce, now as a Non-executive Board Member. He is working with Shemsi, a provider for period underwear in the MENA region.

Overall the above infomation does not give a good look for the forum. Please be careful with your data posted on the forum, as we do not know what they could do with the website next.

Muirium
µ

15 Feb 2023, 20:18

Now we’ve got the spam stamped out, maybe it’s a good time to restart the wget project?

pandrew

15 Feb 2023, 20:53

Crizender wrote:
Overall the above infomation does not give a good look for the forum. Please be careful with your data posted on the forum, as we do not know what they could do with the website next.
If you are worried about your data I have a couple scripts that you might be interested in:
  • I have a script to download all my PMs (doesn't download attachments, just text content), See here: viewtopic.php?p=509353#p509353
  • I have a script to delete all PMs of an account, see attached here:
    delete_everything.zip
    (1.25 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
    . It has the same dependencies: python3, lxml, and mechanize
Note that we have experimented and deleting a message in the Sent folder does not remove it from the recipient's inbox. So you may want to search your PM's for information you consider sensitive and explicitly ask the recipients to delete those messages. Even if you do this it's not guaranteed that you succeed in deleting everything, they could have it set up to never truly delete anything from the database, or they could have backups, but maybe it has a positive impact if they're lazy.

If you use these, let me know how they work. I have not yet received feedback from anyone else yet, so as far as I can tell only I used them on my own account.

webwit
Wild Duck

15 Feb 2023, 20:57

Crizender wrote:
2. As of 27th December 2022, two directors were terminated from Onecommerce Services UK ltd. One of these was Oliver, better known as Keyboardjoy.
These are exactly the two people who were involved in buying DT. The other director was more senior.

TheInverseKey

15 Feb 2023, 21:11

webwit wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 20:57
Crizender wrote:
These are exactly the two people who were involved in buying DT. The other director was more senior.
Looks like this is all going according to plan /s

soyuz

15 Feb 2023, 21:17

it's almost like selling out a community to a bunch of dweeby get rich quick blockchain man asset strippers was a terrible idea webwit

mcmaxmcmc

15 Feb 2023, 21:22

mcmaxmcmc wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 11:46
It's the end of an era. I wish you Godspeed in passing the server down to the "right" person. :)
This aged like fine milk.

TheInverseKey

15 Feb 2023, 21:49

soyuz

15 Feb 2023, 21:53

keyboardjoy wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 21:03
Firstly, I want to extend an apology. I should have been up front about OneCommerce, which is my company.

However, there are no plans for direct monetisation of Deskthority. There have been no aggressive changes to the community - no ads, no spammy newsletter, and no attempt to touch the Wiki.

And that’s the way it’ll stay.

The effort I’m putting in behind the scenes is to collate some content to launch a Deskthority blog to help funnel more people into the community. At present, the vast majority of the forum’s traffic is not from members; the intention is to develop content so these people stay, feel comfortable, and continue to contribute as the mechanical keyboard community grows.

There has also been a small effort to try to develop video content to reinvigorate the Deskthority YouTube channel.

Aside from that, and upcoming software updates the forum which, funnily enough, we were planning to start this week.

I apologise for not being completely open - I didn’t want to divulge too much online. Of course, I am not enjoying having my name dug up and people I don’t know sift through my online profile… but, that’s on me. I should have been up front with you all.

You live and learn. Looking forward to continuing to make Deskthority awesome.

Yours,

AMA
delete account.png
delete account.png (37.4 KiB) Viewed 1226601 times

Return to “Deskthority talk”