14 Jun 2021, 21:54
Easy_Spinach wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 21:50
webwit wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 21:49
Buys DT. Does nothing evil.

DT:

>yet
How about, you know, giving a guy the benefit of the doubt until he actually does something evil?

But nooooo, capitalism is eeeeevil, so BURN THE WITCH!
If he had good intentions, he could just explain why he bought it and how it plans to generate revenue. But he's all silent and dodging questions. That says more then enough.

TheInverseKey

14 Jun 2021, 22:02

webwit wrote:

DT:

Buys DT Lies about everything....

ZedTheMan

14 Jun 2021, 22:03

Myoth, I do appreciate your reply and the hopes to elevate discussion. On multiple counts I may disagree on the situation but your perspective is necessary in the discourse here. Helps to paint a fuller picture on the reactions and ideals which make communities what they are.

Easy_Spinach

14 Jun 2021, 22:05

Serious question, what happens to DT when this start up goes financially under? It was founded just half a year ago. Chances are _very_ high.

Easy_Spinach

14 Jun 2021, 22:06

How about a 30min AMA on the discord server?

TheInverseKey

14 Jun 2021, 22:07

Easy_Spinach wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 22:06
How about a 30min AMA on the discord server?
They joined and then left the discord server so I doubt that they will.

ZedTheMan

14 Jun 2021, 22:07

Easy_Spinach wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 22:05
Serious question, what happens to DT when this start up goes financially under? It was founded just half a year ago. Chances are _very_ high.
I am seconding this question, though with the modification of "if" rather than "when", in all fairness.
Good to consider all potential eventualities.

keyboardjoy

14 Jun 2021, 22:09

I am happy to do an AMA on Discord tomorrow.

headphone_jack

webwit wrote:

DT:

Have a heartfelt fuck you from me. I used to have respect for you, but selling out your decade old community is a real shit thing to do. I have no idea if you knew about him managing a startup or not, but if you did, then you are a pure asshole.

TheInverseKey

keyboardjoy wrote:
Great what time?

keyboardjoy

14 Jun 2021, 22:10

When suits? I’m on London time.

headphone_jack

keyboardjoy wrote:
Get your entire board in there as well. In a voice chat too. No hiding behind walls of text.

Easy_Spinach

14 Jun 2021, 22:12

headphone_jack wrote:
keyboardjoy wrote:
Get your entire board in there as well. In a voice chat too. No hiding behind walls of text.
omg fuck off jack. It's a nice gesture, stop being an entitled little bitch.

@keyboardjoy that sounds nice. I will be there

ZedTheMan

14 Jun 2021, 22:13

headphone_jack wrote:
keyboardjoy wrote:
I suppose this begs the question on if there is a board, or if it is largely a one man operation.
A bit presumptuous to assume one way or the other without proof otherwise.

ZedTheMan

14 Jun 2021, 22:14

I shall also attempt to make the AMA, whenever it may be.
Almost certainly a better way to respond than addressing everything in this thread individually.

Whether it will be a satisfying outcome is not something I can judge, but, at least, it is a good gesture.
Last edited by ZedTheMan on 14 Jun 2021, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

TheInverseKey

14 Jun 2021, 22:14

keyboardjoy wrote:
When suits? I’m on London time.
4PM London time?

keyboardjoy

14 Jun 2021, 22:16

I’m at the pub taking the edge off. 4pm London and, yes, voice is fine.

tinnie

14 Jun 2021, 22:17

keyboardjoy wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 22:16
I’m at the pub taking the edge off. 4pm London and, yes, voice is fine.
See you on chaturbate!

wobbled

14 Jun 2021, 22:26

Apparently people aren't allowed to sell things now..?
God damit Webwit.

Easy_Spinach

14 Jun 2021, 22:30

ZedTheMan wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 22:13
headphone_jack wrote:
keyboardjoy wrote:
I suppose this begs the question on if there is a board, or if it is largely a one man operation.
A bit presumptuous to assume one way or the other without proof otherwise.
check their website. Its a big team. DT is just one of their pet projects.

ZedTheMan

14 Jun 2021, 22:35

Hey. I'm gonna say this. Shitting up the thread like this is unproductive regardless of how you stand on this. (Not in response to you, Easy_Spinach, I appreciate your response)
So, to those of you shitting things up with little to contribute, fuck off (edit: should really have been "buzz off" for the sake of civility, but what's said is said, I cannot take it back, for that is the path of cowardice). The devil is in the details, and there is little chance to find the nature of the devil if all one does is fling insults to try to provoke it.
Last edited by ZedTheMan on 14 Jun 2021, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

Myoth

14 Jun 2021, 22:43

can someone please ban pandorify already, I'm all for free speech and stuff but that is getting irritating for everyone, it's not like it's a huge loss either, they've only posted in this very thread

Findecanor

14 Jun 2021, 22:45

This thread and the Soarer-doxxing thread. What is wrong with people lately?

ZedTheMan

14 Jun 2021, 22:50

We should always strive for it to be less cancerous.

There is little to be gained in the end by propagating garbage. That is how you make the dump bigger, and lord knows we should try to clean things up wherever we might be.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."-a wise quote attributed to Gandhi, with actual origin unknown but not relevant.

I shudder to imagine the world you wish to see.

I do not partake heavily in religious thinking, but I do believe if we all strived to follow the golden rule, the world may become a much better place.

ZedTheMan

14 Jun 2021, 22:55

Perhaps.

But I would argue if you truly believe that deep down, there is something very wrong with you. And I would recommend that you seek what that is, and learn how to rectify it.

And perhaps I am just feeding a troll. I care not if such is the case, but I must act in the sense that one is genuine, for if so, the message may still serve a purpose.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

14 Jun 2021, 22:56

jmaynard wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 21:54
How about, you know, giving a guy the benefit of the doubt until he actually does something evil?

But nooooo, capitalism is eeeeevil, so BURN THE WITCH!
I guess you can't be bothered to read, among other things. https://www.onecommerce.group/sell/

It's a business. It exists to make money. They would not buy the site to "make it better" and "improve community content" unless they had a plan for making money later.
Myoth wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 21:55
As much as it pains me to hear about the news of such a corporation owning DT, people thought/expressed the same when GH was bought by MD and no one is complaining anymore, we should be glad we're talking to an actual human being of a nameless corporation that's worth more than all of us united. I'm skeptical, but then again, hopeful.
OneCommerce is not the same entity as massdrop. Massdrop already has an interest in mechanical keyboards, and so there is something of value to them keeping the site as is. OneCommerce on the other hand has nothing to do with mechanical keyboards.
Redmaus wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 19:38
raoulduke-esq wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 19:18
So who wants to stand up a new forum we can migrate to?
Already working on it! With a much better and less dated forum software :P
Myoth wrote:
Funnily enough, we had the same kind of people jumping the GH ship back then : opportunistic narcissists such as Norbauer. Fuck the both of you.
I don't even know who Norbauer is. Hate me sure, but the only thing I have to gain from contributing to nexthority is platform where people are free to contribute and know their data isn't being used for profit in some startup that hasn't the slightest care about mechanical keyboards. It will be so the keyboard knowledge is accessible and easier for people to contribute to, hence more keyboard knowledge for all. Everything will be under a creative commons license, so you have an actual guarantee that your content won't be used for commercial purposes behind your back.
headphone_jack wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 21:20
Notice the careful language here. "However, there are no plans for DIRECT monetization to Deskthority" does not rule out the forum being flipped, or them outright selling our personal data. There are a million ways to make money other than off ads. You as a CMO should know this.
Myoth wrote:
as much as I can believe andj00 traumatised you, I don't think flipping is an option in this case, even if they go full corp, their site mentions developping things on the long-term ... I don't think long-term is a few-months, let alone a year. As for the personal data, taking GH's sale in account, I think MD at most, uses IC threads trends as a kind of way of telling what's going to be hot. It's totally in their interest to not interfere as to let GH be as organic as possible. I can only assume this will be the case here as well, again, at most.

You'd be shooting yourself in both feet if you were to change/do/sell anything that would disrupt the standard that DT set for itself.
Not really. Not really at all. They are under no legal obligation hold true to anything they say. It also cannot be the same case a s massdrop, because the two corporations owning the forum are entirely different. They didn't really want anyone to know they owned the site, or they would have come out about it from the get go. Also keep in mind, do you see a single site on their website that they talk about? No. That's because they only care about the people willing to buy them, and some of those people don't want their identities to be known.
keyboardjoy wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 21:03
There has also been a small effort to try to develop video content to reinvigorate the Deskthority YouTube channel.
Myoth wrote:
I'm pretty interested by this, I'm pretty sure DT has the most compact yet diverse userbase, and it would prove to rival some other community figures and have better information out there instead of a single source as far as vintage goes.
Wow a youtube channel. Guess they really do care!! Seriously? :roll:
Pandorify wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 22:28
it's a respect thing, not a law
Exactly this. DT used to be owned by members, webwit threw all that in the trash for a payday. Now the situation is the opposite. I'm pretty sure if members voted on who to sell the site to, one the last entities would go for is OneCommerce.
keyboardjoy wrote:
I might even tune in, but I'm doubtful any good news will come of it.
Myoth wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 22:43
can someone please ban pandorify already, I'm all for free speech and stuff but that is getting irritating for everyone, it's not like it's a huge loss either, they've only posted in this very thread
Seconding this, it's really just spam at this point.
Last edited by Redmaus on 14 Jun 2021, 23:04, edited 2 times in total.

ZedTheMan

14 Jun 2021, 22:59

At your level of discourse, autism or not, it is being used as an excuse. If not for the sake of bad faith argument, then for yourself.

The autism spectrum is wide, and I recognize this. (And am a part of it, not that it is relevant outside of my perspective on this.)

But it does not give you the excuse to be a right dick about things.

We have the potential for so much more than this. I should hope that you can understand this.

I don't expect you to care or respond in a dignified manner. But, I do hope that the person behind the garbage, can learn to see beyond it.
Last edited by ZedTheMan on 14 Jun 2021, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.

keyboardjoy

14 Jun 2021, 23:00

4pm Discord tomorrow, happy to follow up here thereafter for those who aren't present.
Last edited by keyboardjoy on 14 Jun 2021, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.

ZedTheMan

14 Jun 2021, 23:01

Yes, I am aware of how bad faith arguments work.

I suppose I've given it my go, I doubt any progress will be made in causing any kind of introspection.

ZedTheMan

14 Jun 2021, 23:02

Certainly not without moderation tools.

But, I did give it a go, and that's what matters to me.

Return to “Deskthority talk”