Deskthority AMA with keyboardjoy recording

HKG

16 Jun 2021, 16:53

Hi. In case anyone missed out, the new owner of DT, keyboardjoy did an AMA on the Deskthority Discord server. Here is a recording of that AMA, where some of the concerns about OneCommerce and keyboardjoy were addressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGlPTcfmxio

kbdfr
The Tiproman

16 Jun 2021, 18:13

How about a transcript?
Should be an easy task for those who like to brag about their stunning WPM performance :lol:

scottc

16 Jun 2021, 18:15

keyboardjoy did mention that he was actually very fast at typing, maybe he would like to do it :idea:

Go-Kart

17 Jun 2021, 13:56

Thanks for uploading.

raoulduke-esq

17 Jun 2021, 17:47

Should get Chyros to write the huckster shilling gamer boards blog content…

Go-Kart

17 Jun 2021, 22:37

Having now listened to this, I am satisfied with keyboardjoy's plans and motivations. I do not think profit is a dirty word. Consider his initial missteps, it has been hard to take him at his word up to this point but I'm willing to cut him some slack. I think he's realised he won't be able to bullshit his way round the community, if he did ever intend to subvert it in any way. Plus, I believe that he understands the value of working with the community.

ZedTheMan

18 Jun 2021, 01:54

Yes. I am of the opinion that the community itself would wise up to bullshit should it arise, one of those situations where it's best to just not try it or risk losing it. I mean, alternatives were being developed/planned since the initial announcement of purchase in case. It is clear enough that the community is not one very tolerant to nonsense and lies.
This provides some safeguard even in the event that the owners do try to subvert promises and the community.
Last edited by ZedTheMan on 20 Jun 2021, 05:08, edited 1 time in total.

keyboardjoy

18 Jun 2021, 12:36

I'll try to give transcription a go... failing that, I'll just publish the main points here.

Plan is to do another AMA in the coming weeks on a weekend so it's more convenient for everyone.

ZedTheMan

18 Jun 2021, 16:34

I do enjoy that plan.

Weezer

18 Jun 2021, 19:26

I'm not convinced by your business model Oliver. It seems like you made the purchase of the site with the intention of making a profit without first identifying revenue sources or potential consumers.

hellothere

19 Jun 2021, 16:09

Weezer wrote:
I'm not convinced by your business model Oliver. It seems like you made the purchase of the site with the intention of making a profit without first identifying revenue sources or potential consumers.
I don't think so. In the original Deskthority sale thread a bunch of folks, including me, came up with a bunch of ideas. I don't have any problem with you or anyone else saying the ideas posted are bad, but I'd just call that an opinion.

Go-Kart

19 Jun 2021, 16:23

keyboardjoy's explanation of their plan for DT, and how it ties with Google/SEO in particular, was clear enough for most.

Weezer

21 Jun 2021, 21:39

hellothere wrote:
19 Jun 2021, 16:09
Weezer wrote:
I don't think so. In the original Deskthority sale thread a bunch of folks, including me, came up with a bunch of ideas. I don't have any problem with you or anyone else saying the ideas posted are bad, but I'd just call that an opinion.
I don't believe my statement was purporting to be anything more than an opinion. And I wasn't criticizing any of the user suggestions, I said I was unconvinced by Oliver's business strategy. It seems like he saw that the site was for sale, thought "oo that sounds fun" scooped it up and then thought of what he was going to do with it ad hoc. It's not a sound business strategy to buy an asset and then poll the user's for profit making strategies.

ZedTheMan

21 Jun 2021, 22:10

Though it does sound closer to something like a pet project that he showed interest in and purchased with his company partially for that reason, and I could believe that.

I don't suppose developing that profitability is currently the biggest priority for the site development, in any case (besides the inherent increase in value through improved/new content, communication, and moderation that have been proposed). I reckon that push might come at a later date.

Could be wrong though. I won't stand by this statement if info counter to it comes about, for example.

keyboardjoy

22 Jun 2021, 13:27

Weezer wrote:
With the majority of traffic coming from outside the community, the "potential customers" are already there. They seek information about keyboards and end up landing amidst the Wiki, threads and posts and then bounce. The simple strategy is to develop better structured content that helps all these users to stay and interact with Deskthority and the community as a whole.

Of course, none of this works well without a sincere focus on the community - we need DT awards, wiki maintenance, and a better handle on moderation.

raoulduke-esq

25 Jun 2021, 16:54

^ This is kind of meta...

keyboardjoy

25 Jun 2021, 18:38

Indyaroro wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 16:43
When you think about a business, there is always a question that it should be known, and the more people know about it, the better, in such situations it is worth contacting the SEO companies that make [deleted]. Thanks to their work on the forums, the customer becomes more popular and moves up. I hope my advice will be useful to someone.
It's also total spam

Return to “Deskthority talk”