Why not allow multiple fonts?

ripster

04 Jul 2012, 15:28

I assume we could have standard System Font choices with some forum SW addon but then I noticed THIS was possible:

http://www.reddit.com/r/typography/comm ... ts/c58tay4
Recently, however, web designers have finally been given some control over their typography by being able to use custom fonts. Do a bit of research if you're interested, but the jist of the whole thing is basically this: In our above example, we would host a copy of Gotham on our web server (or it would be hosted on another site) and we then reference that file. Browsers that support the CSS rule that lets you reference a URL for a font will display the font. There's other script based methods like TypeKit. The end result is the same.

So you can use scripts or CSS, but the only way to do a purely CSS based custom font solution (which we have to, since you can't add scripts to a subreddit) is to use @import. The only way you can edit the CSS of a subreddit is to do so through the editor you're provided as a moderator of a sub, which flat out rejects usage of @import.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but from what I've seen on Reddit and from my experience with customizing subreddits, you can't use custom fonts.
Helvetica won't be readable. Maybe THIS one just to annoy the Geekhackers:

kbdfr wrote:
ripster wrote:[...] just to annoy the Geekhackers [...]
Section: Deskthority related.
ripster, are you just testing the limits again?
Nope, lots of people are used to having a choice of fonts. Allows more creativity in your posting.
7bit wrote:There are 2 choices available already:
Sans-serif and monospace.
:-)

If you want something special, just set up your most beloved font in your browser.
:roll:

I meant for POSTING so you could SEE the font, not just browsing the site.

But thanks for the Monospace tip. Let's see if I can figure that one out..........

SLICK AS SHIT WEBWIT

[Arial]SLICK AS SHIT WEBWIT[/Arial]

yah, guess I always DO test the limits. Annoyed my mom no end.
Last edited by ripster on 04 Jul 2012, 16:21, edited 7 times in total.

jakobcreutzfeldt

04 Jul 2012, 15:33

I personally disable websites from loading their own fonts and I choose my own to be used on all sites. Not that I have particularly strong opinions on fonts but I see no reason for each site to display its own one. This allows for a bit more of a consistent experience browsing the web.
(as opposed to books potentially having a different fonts, which doesn't matter to me since I don't switch between books rapidly like I do webites)

Edit: eh, nevermind I guess my response wasn't very relevant.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

04 Jul 2012, 15:35

ripster wrote:[...] just to annoy the Geekhackers [...]
Section: Deskthority related.
ripster, are you just testing the limits again?

7bit

04 Jul 2012, 15:45

There are 2 choices available already:
Sans-serif and monospace.
:-)

If you want something special, just set up your most beloved font in your browser.
:roll:

off

04 Jul 2012, 15:46

jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:I personally disable websites from loading their own fonts
guess my response wasn't very relevant.
Still +1ing that.

And I reeeeeally dislike that R and K. Not as much in the logo, but for actual reading; yuck.

Return to “Deskthority talk”