Cherry MX scale diagram challenge

Daniel Beardsmore

29 Sep 2012, 02:41

The Cherry MX diagram on the wiki is really bad, so I decided to redraw it in SVG to actual scale. Now, I don't have any loose switches or one of those nifty digital calipers like Ripster has, so I've done the best I can by removing keycaps from my actual keyboard and poking around with a bendy cardboard ruler:
Cherry MX scale illustration version 0.5
Cherry MX scale illustration version 0.5
Cherry MX diagram.png (23.66 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
I'm inviting anyone to finish this off with accurate measurements. The top view is mostly done, and just needs the measurements tweaking. The side view is just a trace of the original GIF, and it's probably still completely wrong: I can't get at the side of a switch to check.

Note that most of the RHS of that view is composed of clones to assist with symmetry; to some extent this is also true of the top view. If you can't edit a path, it's a clone :)

[Edit: Some of the layers are switched off including the original GIF layer – you should turn on the layer palette if it's off by default, as with Inkscape. Also you'll want to turn on the guides and at least two of the three grids.]

MediaWiki has SVG support and webwit has enabling this to his to-do list, so at some point it will be possible to upload this directly to the wiki. (IMO all diagrams should always be uploaded as SVG on a wiki, as it allows them to be edited, in the true spirit of wikis.)
Attachments
Cherry MX scale.zip
Cherry MX illustration SVG wrapped up in a zip so that the forum software will let me attach it
(20.91 KiB) Downloaded 167 times

Return to “Deskthority talk”