some embedded images won't load

IanM

24 Mar 2011, 13:52

Not sure if this is a Deskthority issue, or something with my system or Internet connection. Is anyone else having problems seeing any particular embedded images? There is an image embedded in this post: http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?p=8930#p8930

The image doesn't load when I view the thread, I just see the placeholder icon as endlessly busy. I tried Firefox and Chrome, but it's the same for both browsers. If I quote the post, copy the URL and past it in a new tab, the image does load directly: http://www.tradersnarrative.com/wp-cont ... rlpool.jpg

After doing this the embedded version will then appear in the thread. I tried it yesterday, but today the embedded image is no longer loading, so I repeated the URL in a new tab process to get the image back. It's odd, but I have an idea that maybe this is happening with other images on the forum as I see the placeholder quite frequently.

N.B. I previously commented on another thread about sixty's images hosted on imgur failing to load, that was fixed with a router reset. However no images at imgur would load for me. This issue is different as I can get the image from the direct URL.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

24 Mar 2011, 21:44

I believe it might have to do with the site blocking external links. The image resizer here is anything but optimal, we will probably change it in the future. The image does not load on my end either and the error you explained can be reproduced too...

webwit
Wild Duck

24 Mar 2011, 22:03

Images may not be allowed for remote embedding by the server hosting it, and imgur was slow. The html page here just loads the given urls, on your machine. It is not different from anywhere else except if it doesn't work you don't see nothing, but the spinning load indicator instead. In other words: nothing to see here, please move along. We might remove the spinner after 30 secs or so, or do something different with the resizer in the future.

IanM

25 Mar 2011, 09:30

I did a little experimenting using another forum, it seems all images at the tradersnarrative.com page have the same problem i.e. they don't load in embedded links until you cache the image by going directly to the URL. Maybe it is a deliberate, but half arsed attempt to block deep linking? Sites like pcgameshardware.com do it better because they replace the embedded image with one telling you to piss off and stop deep linking their content, so at least the message is clear.

The resizer is a good idea anyway, it's bloody annoying on other forums when some chump pastes something >1000pix wide, and then inevitably a bunch of people quote the damn thing just to say it's too big :roll: Maybe the spinner could time out or change to something else showing the URL when an image isn't available?

Muirium
µ

02 Sep 2013, 12:29

No need for real code.

Code: Select all

[img]Put URL of the image you want here[/img]
Just phpbb syntax.

Halvar

02 Sep 2013, 14:52

Are there posts missing in this thread? I don't understand what Mu's writing.

tinnie

02 Sep 2013, 14:59

Halvar wrote:Are there posts missing in this thread? I don't understand what Mu's writing.
someone called abigail/w/e (a girl?) spammed.

Halvar

02 Sep 2013, 15:05

Ah ... thanks!

Muirium
µ

02 Sep 2013, 15:06

Apparently so. "Abigail" was complaining that their images weren't showing up. And now it's not just the images!

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Sep 2013, 15:09

It was a link spammer.

7bit

02 Sep 2013, 15:53

Yep. I was unsure myself because it did not look 100% commercial (some C# coding site, so only 99% commercial).

@Muirium: No way you can overtake me in post counts!
:evilgeek:

tinnie

02 Sep 2013, 15:54

7bit wrote: @Muirium: No way you can overtake me in post counts![/size]
:evilgeek:
:lol: :lol:

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Sep 2013, 15:59

The C# site was selling a client.

Muirium
µ