Welcome to deskthority!

webwit
Wild Duck

29 Jan 2011, 21:34

Deskthority is a new community about input devices, run by people who take them pretty serious!

Please bear with us as we're finishing details and debugging what we broke.

We are striving to create an alternative community to discuss and exchange information and knowledge about input devices. Our goal is to share and publish information - from simple buying advice to detailed mod manuals. We try to do this in the most simple way possible. We don't have a gazillion of subsections and categories and try to keep things simple. While browsing the site you will notice this pretty fast. The forum has been adjusted to only show information that is actually of use. No fancy style, no confusing sub-sub-sections... we don't even have a visible user post counter!

- sixty, webwit, MrInterface and daedalus

bugfix

29 Jan 2011, 23:27

Hi,

nice site and all - but don't we have geekhack for that?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

29 Jan 2011, 23:39

There are over 270 different soft drinks on the market. Yet some people say Pepsi tastes better than Coke. Its good to have some variety.

We have kinda different goals and aim more at more experienced users. See it as an alternative home for those that feel the need for one, not as competition.

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Jan 2011, 03:41

We just launched this to get free crap from keyboard companies.

bugfix

30 Jan 2011, 09:51

Can I stay even though I'm pretty much a noob? Also why do I have to login every time I visit the site? :?:

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Jan 2011, 10:43

Because you didn't observe the checkbox "login every time I visit the site" under the user and password fields. You can stay but I do expect all bugs to be fixed swiftly.

bugfix

30 Jan 2011, 13:09

That's the point. I do have that option checked.

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Jan 2011, 13:15

Ah cookie domain space was still set on the development location. Should be fixed now.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

30 Jan 2011, 13:39

And I thought it was the office firewall to blame for the cookies being denied. :)

lootbag

30 Jan 2011, 17:52

woohoo honored to be a member of the community.
I hope to learn more about keyboards here and thanks for setting this up!

sixty
Gasbag Guru

30 Jan 2011, 17:55

Thanks for joining, community is what we need afterall :)

bugfix

30 Jan 2011, 18:39

sixty wrote:community is what we need afterall :)
I seriously doubt that this will be a problem.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

30 Jan 2011, 18:44

bugfix wrote:
sixty wrote:community is what we need afterall :)
I seriously doubt that this will be a problem.
Depends. The keyboard scene is still pretty small and most people hang around at other places already like you said. So this is an experiment to see if an alternative will work. We had the idea floating around for quite a while, now a few months later we actually went ahead and did it.

bugfix

30 Jan 2011, 19:47

It's hard to find more competent people than you guys when it comes to keyboards, I'm sure this will work out. That you're all based in Europe(?) might turn out to be an advantage.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

30 Jan 2011, 19:50

bugfix wrote:It's hard to find more competent people than you guys when it comes to keyboards, I'm sure this will work out. That you're all based in Europe(?) might turn out to be an advantage.
Heh, thanks :D The Europe part was part of the plan too. We opened the international sub-section for that reason. It seems there are many Germans and French spread out there in the wild, discussing mechanical keyboards in odd hardware forum megathreads. If the userbase grows significantly for a certain language, we might add their own sub forum in the future.

bugfix

30 Jan 2011, 19:53

Spread the word then. Your sig on geekhack seems to have brought quite a few users (including myself) here, just point as many people as you can here.

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Jan 2011, 19:57

Ha I suddenly remember the reason of the small file size limit on avatars.. to prevent animated gifs.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

30 Jan 2011, 19:57

bugfix wrote:Spread the word then. Your sig on geekhack seems to have brought quite a few users (including myself) here, just point as many people as you can here.
Thing is that most forums have a policy about direct advertising of other forums. We have a few things going (including some stuff with some European vendors) and the usual watermarks on images and the like. Coming off as a spammer in another forum does not a make for a good first impression. We are not looking for beef with other forums, so I want to avoid that.

Community will hopefully continue to grow day by day. Right now I am trying to provide some good exclusive content (like the articles in the Workshop section), since this was also part of the original concept. Google is slowly picking up threads too.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

30 Jan 2011, 19:58

webwit wrote:Ha I suddenly remember the reason of the small file size limit on avatars.. to prevent animated gifs.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_Tip ... ted_Images :P

lowpoly

30 Jan 2011, 21:11

Good luck with the new forum!

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Jan 2011, 21:25

Nice to see you here lowpoly, welcome!

ynih

03 Feb 2011, 02:04

You guys have a very comprehensive collection of keyboards...just between the four of you guys. Your websites are very broad and well established....The best part is, that you guys started the forum on the Day of my B-DAY :D Jan 29th...^_^

Anyways, happy beleated b-day two Deskthority and to myself... heh

keyboardlover

03 Feb 2011, 03:02

So far, new forum looks good guys. =)

sixty
Gasbag Guru

03 Feb 2011, 08:04

keyboardlover wrote:So far, new forum looks good guys. =)
I like your new minimalistic avatar! Nice match to the theme.

keyboardlover

03 Feb 2011, 14:53

sixty wrote:I like your new minimalistic avatar! Nice match to the theme.
Thanks! I felt like the GH one was clashing a bit :D

kidchunks

03 Feb 2011, 15:19

Nice layout! Glad to see a another community with some familiar faces :)

keyboardlover

03 Feb 2011, 15:23

Welcome Chunks!

Victheslik

03 Feb 2011, 21:05

Good job Sixty as well as all other who have made this forum possible. Perhaps I may chime in more often here then in the past. Nevertheless cheers to a prosperous future :D ~

itlnstln

03 Feb 2011, 22:12

Well done, guys. I really like the layout. I like the idea of a more serious forum to come to. GH has done a great job "reaching out to the masses," but for those that have been around the block for awhile, it's nice to have a place that's not post after post of "what 'board should I get???"

sixty
Gasbag Guru

03 Feb 2011, 22:22

itlnstln wrote:it's nice to have a place that's not post after post of "what 'board should I get???"
Exactly! Once those people come here, we have the wonderful keyboard oracle that will undoubtedly tell them what to get too, though!

Return to “Deskthority talk”