Post to keep track of Group Buys

IonutZ

06 Oct 2013, 22:50

It would be nice to have a sticky post that keeps track of active groupbuys, so as not to have to wonder the marketplace aimlessly! Anyone else agree?

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Oct 2013, 23:15

Sounds like a good idea. Needs someone to keep track though.

7bit

07 Oct 2013, 09:41

There are only 4 group buys at the moment:
CherryMX
Matias Alps
Round 4 leftovers
Keyboard sellout
:evilgeek:

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

07 Oct 2013, 15:16

This is a good idea and something I have been thinking myself. They have a sticky thread over at GH, but I always see it as outdated and has stopped using it.
I don't know if it would be too much work, but maybe we could make it as an automated program, reacting on the status set on each GB thread. So the GB starter sets the thread to [Group Buy], then [collecting payment], [In production], [Shipping] [Done]. When the thread is created and set to Group buy, it will automatically be displayed in the thread under active group buys and so forth with the rest of the labels.
But the best method would probably be to reorganize of the marketplace.

Muirium
µ

07 Oct 2013, 17:30

This could be integrated with my proposed zombie defense system. If a GB hasn't had any posts for a length of time, it can be marked as necrotic. That would really help with the Mini Taobao GB of Infinite Doom!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Oct 2013, 17:41

This tries to catch active GBs

http://lab.cubiq.org/dt/gb.php

and this is the same in json format

http://lab.cubiq.org/dt/gb.php?json=1

of course it would be better to put this on DT server to reduce overhead.

7bit

07 Oct 2013, 18:03

Broadmonkey wrote:... So the GB starter sets the thread to [Group Buy], then [collecting payment], [In production], [Shipping] [Done]. When the thread is created and set to Group buy, it will automatically be displayed in the thread under active group buys and so forth with the rest of the labels.
Does not work for me!

For me, [Group Buy] is always [collecting payment] and [In production] and [Shipping]-soon and almost-[Done].
:roll:
matt3o wrote:This tries to catch active GBs

http://lab.cubiq.org/dt/gb.php

and this is the same in json format

http://lab.cubiq.org/dt/gb.php?json=1

of course it would be better to put this on DT server to reduce overhead.
Nice list (only the first works for me). How do you generate it?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Oct 2013, 18:25

7bit wrote:Nice list (only the first works for me). How do you generate it?
what's the problem with the JSON? it should work from cli.

algorithm is: get the first two pages in the market place. Search for "[group buy]" and exclude shipp* and close*

it can be implemented of course.

7bit

07 Oct 2013, 18:33

Netscape Navigator* asks me where to save gb.php ...
:?
---------------------
*) Firefox in fact

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Oct 2013, 18:38

Code: Select all

curl http://lab.cubiq.org/dt/gb.php?json=1
PS: if you save the gb.php you'll most likely end up with the json file

Halvar

07 Oct 2013, 19:29

Nice! I vote for matteo's script plus a sticky thread that explains to GB starters how to mark their threads appropriately.

7bit

07 Oct 2013, 19:30

I hate firefox for not being able to treat everything with odd file name extension as text or asks what type of file it should be.

One day, I will write my own web browser.
Halvar wrote:Nice! I vote for matteo's script plus a sticky thread that explains to GB starters how to submit their orders appropriately.
Fixed that for you!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Oct 2013, 19:42

7bit wrote:I hate firefox for not being able to treat everything with odd file name extension as text or asks what type of file it should be.
you maybe have an old version of FF. Mine works as expected.

7bit

07 Oct 2013, 20:10

You mean after all those many years a text file ending .xyz is displayed as text?
:o

ps: NN 3.5

Muirium
µ

07 Oct 2013, 20:13

The older a Firefox install (regardless of what version you're starting from) the more likely you've already told it manually what to do with every conceivable file type under the sun. Try a fresh install on another system some day: doesn't it even nag you what to do with .txt files by default? Not the smartest browser in that regard.

7bit

07 Oct 2013, 20:21

Muirium wrote:The older a Firefox install (regardless of what version you're starting from) the more likely you've already told it manually what to do with every conceivable file type under the sun. Try a fresh install on another system some day: doesn't it even nag you what to do with .txt files by default? Not the smartest browser in that regard.
The problem:
It asks only to save the file or to view with another program, but gives me a directory listing of where the browser started, not /usr/bin.

Also, if I choose firefox, it will just start a new browser window and run into the same problem.

With GIMP I can view any file as long as it is a recognised image format. With Firefox, it must have the name ending on something like .jpg, .png etc., .xyz does not work even though it is an image. Same for html or plain text files.

Even emacs can do this!

@IonutZ: Please rename this thread "Browser problems" or something similar ...
:roll:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Oct 2013, 20:36

7bit wrote:You mean after all those many years a text file ending .xyz is displayed as text?

ps: NN 3.5
the mime type is more important than the file extension. My script correctly exports the mime type for json, so if you don't use a browser that comes from the mesozoic it should work.

if I exported the json file as a txt it would be an error.

Daniel Beardsmore

07 Oct 2013, 21:51

7bit wrote:I hate firefox for not being able to treat everything with odd file name extension as text or asks what type of file it should be.

One day, I will write my own web browser.
The Open in Browser helps with that — at the Save As prompt, you can choose to open the data as specified data type instead of save. It's a bit flaky, and it does assume that you use Save As at all — I do at work, but I don't bother at home, just goes straight to Downloads.

Halvar

07 Oct 2013, 23:35

Why would you want to read JSON in your browser?
7bit wrote:
Halvar wrote:Nice! I vote for matteo's script plus a sticky thread that explains to GB starters how to submit their orders appropriately.
Fixed that for you!
Hey, that version doesn't make any sense! The kind you mean wouldn't read a sticky anyway if it was anything like long enough to explain the bot! :P

IonutZ

08 Oct 2013, 04:20

I knew there had to be plenty of amazing coders around here lol. Anyone looking for a JavaScript dev position? My company's hiring haha. If you build your own keyboard you might as well read json strings in your head.

matt3o's crawler would be nice if we could get the output in an actual external static page linked from the marketplace with DT's theming around it!

*click* Webmaster *click*
*click* calling webmaster *click*
*click* come in webmaster *click* ___static___

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Oct 2013, 08:27

host contacted... waiting for reply...

Return to “Deskthority talk”