Updated forum software in beta

woody
Count Troller

16 Jun 2014, 11:17

Unfortunately, no. The whole browser storage is volatile (tmpfs).

Any idea how to debug the BACK issue? Is it happening to me only? I change the layout, then dive into some thread, then use the browser's BACK function to return and the layout is thumbnail again.

There is also some other bug which crept with some software update long time ago. Initially, if you click on a thread to read the "unread" messages and then go back, it will show as "read". That was nice, logical and useful. After that software update, if you go back the thread will be shown "unread", i.e. the state it was before clicking. As in many other forums. :( So after couple of dive/back cycles I have to do page refresh just to see what is "unread".

Halvar

16 Jun 2014, 11:37

Seems like both are the same problem -- if you hit the back button, the old page is drawn from the cache without any roundtrip to the server. It's the standard behaviour in browsers.

This could be changed with a cache-control command in the HTTP header:

Code: Select all

Cache-Control: no-cache, max-age=0, must-revalidate, no-store
but I must say I personally prefer to keep control over this as the user myself. No problem to hit F5 if I want to.

I might be alone with that view though.

webwit
Wild Duck

16 Jun 2014, 13:47

woody
Count Troller

16 Jun 2014, 16:29

Web is not my area of expertise, so I can't comment much with my limited knowledge. The caching seems plausible, although DT before year or so really had the right behaviour for unread topics' icons. Actually, initially that's what caught my attention - a proper behaviour, since the few other forums I frequent do it all wrong.

I understand that controlling layout through user profile settings requires work, but if it happens someday, that'll be the logical place ... IMHO. :) Subjective as such.

In the worst case, are there objections of keeping the old / thumbnail-less / simple and compact layout the default one (when cookies aren't present)?

webwit
Wild Duck

16 Jun 2014, 17:37

woody wrote:Web is not my area of expertise, so I can't comment much with my limited knowledge. The caching seems plausible, although DT before year or so really had the right behaviour for unread topics' icons. Actually, initially that's what caught my attention - a proper behaviour, since the few other forums I frequent do it all wrong.
That's why I added it once, I like it too, but as is typical for software design choices, it has pros and cons, just like not doing it has pros and cons.

tlt

22 Jun 2014, 23:48

Sorry for just throwing this in here. The new labels in the marketplace gets interpreted as sub categories by Tapatalk so the brows feature is sort of unusable now. I don't use this much but I thought you would like to know.

Daniel Beardsmore

23 Jun 2014, 00:12

I thought they were supposed to be subcategories … ?

rindorbrot

23 Jun 2014, 00:17

Well for me it looks fine as the subcategories.
But it does not show the "closed" topics correct (the line through the category name is missing).

Also the new quote system with permanent links is broken in Tapatalk. The opening quote tag seems to be missing.
In the browser it works fine though.

Daniel Beardsmore

23 Jun 2014, 00:23

The line is done as a series of Unicode combining characters (something like U+336 Combining Long Stroke Overlay), e.g. "F—o—r —s—a—l—e—", so clearly that's getting lost in translation somewhere. What's the software like overall at Unicode text?

webwit
Wild Duck

23 Jun 2014, 00:26

The difference is there is no All tab (or category), which is a custom mod.

Can't do anything about the strikethrough bug. That's tapatalk.

webwit
Wild Duck

23 Jun 2014, 00:41

I think I managed to fix the quote bug in the tapatalk software at our side.
OLD: '/\[quote(?:="(.*?)")?:'.$uid.'\]/is'
NEW: '/\[quote(?:="(.*?)")?(?:;p=.*?)?:'.$uid.'\]/is'

tlt

23 Jun 2014, 15:31

webwit wrote:The difference is there is no All tab (or category), which is a custom mod.

Can't do anything about the strikethrough bug. That's tapatalk.
yes, that is what I was after. Without the All tab you need to look thought all the sub categories to get an overview and that is too tedious. The sub categories fells more like a filter feature

Return to “Deskthority talk”