Proposed "Software & Keyboard Layouts" sub-forum

pkamb

13 Jan 2015, 23:41

Deskthority does not currently have a home for the "software" side of Keyboards.

The hardware knowledge is first-class, but Deskthority could also become a hub of discussion for everything that happens between when a Cherry Blue is pressed and when the computer interprets that key as an "A".

As one very interested in Keyboard Layouts such as Dvorak, Colemak, QWERTY(-switching), etc. I would like to see a new "Software & Keyboard Layouts" subforum where these layouts can be discussed.

Other keyboard/mouse/input related software, such as a Caps-Lock > Backspace Remapper or Scrollwheel Accelerator, would be welcome in this forum as well.

This forum would fit well amongst the current Keyboards, Mice, and News forums, as seen in the picture above.

chzel

14 Jan 2015, 00:08

The way I see it, there is the "before the port" side of things (controller/firmware/converter and IMO layouts) which, stock or custom, fits in "Keyboards" or "Workshop" just fine, and the software side of things (AHK, Karabiner, etc.) which doesn't seem to warrant a whole category.
Just my €0.02!

pkamb

14 Jan 2015, 00:43

Well, keyboard layouts and switching from QWERTY are a fairly large sub-community of the keyboard space. The problem is there isn't a "home" forum, like GH/Deskthority is for mechanical keyboards.

A lot of the discussion happens on the Colemak forum, plus other random places like the "keyboards" section of Deskthority. None of it is centralized.

Basically, adding a "Keyboard Layouts" high-level subforum would put Deskthority in contention to be the de facto discussion board for alternative keyboard layouts. I don't think saying "just post in the keyboards forum" would attract the same kind of community.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

14 Jan 2015, 07:57

Not being into software at all, I have no opinion about such a category. I would just not read it.

But a category "keyboard layouts" would attract a lot of discussions which in fact cover only aspects of that, such as about replacing CapsLock with Control or having a numpad on the left side.

Besides, I think one of the big assets of Deskthority, in addition to its excellent readability, is its simplicity. Adding a top-level subforum for this and for that would mean you have to open lots of subforums to at all read the titles of threads.

Muirium
µ

14 Jan 2015, 12:50

kbdfr wrote: Not being into software at all, I have no opinion about such a category. I would just not read it.
Well, you are a Windows user after all!
kbdfr wrote: But a category "keyboard layouts" would attract a lot of discussions which in fact cover only aspects of that, such as about replacing CapsLock with Control or having a numpad on the left side.

Besides, I think one of the big assets of Deskthority, in addition to its excellent readability, is its simplicity. Adding a top-level subforum for this and for that would mean you have to open lots of subforums to at all read the titles of threads.
Indeed. I'm for a Keyboard Layouts category. If it attracts more talk about Colemak vs. Workman and all the rest, it would be a worthy addition. That said, I'm not a subforum kind of reader. I just use the Spy! So I'm not in the same headspace. But if it works, do it. I think the idea of a solid place for the alt layout community excuses an addition.

Software, though, I say keep it in the workshop (controllers, converters, PCB design, etc.) and keyboard (Karabiner, AutoHotkey, and such) subforums. Those don't feel like lost subjects to me, or ones that are as underexposed as alternative layouts. I can imagine a community of non-mech alt layout people out there… and they need saved!

pkamb

14 Jan 2015, 19:10

Muirium wrote: Indeed. I'm for a Keyboard Layouts category. If it attracts more talk about Colemak vs. Workman and all the rest, it would be a worthy addition. [...] I think the idea of a solid place for the alt layout community excuses an addition.
Yep, a "home" for alternate keyboard layouts would be very welcome on the web. Such a perfect fit for Deskthority as well.
Muirium wrote: Software, though, I say keep it in the workshop (controllers, converters, PCB design, etc.) and keyboard (Karabiner, AutoHotkey, and such) subforums. Those don't feel like lost subjects to me, or ones that are as underexposed as alternative layouts. I can imagine a community of non-mech alt layout people out there… and they need saved!
Good thoughts. It may even improve the quality of posts in the Keyboard Layout forum if things like autohotkey are not included. I'm A-OK with leaving "Software" out of the forum name.

I can also imagine a community of QWERTY typists out there… and they too need to be saved! :D

JBert

14 Jan 2015, 23:20

I don't mind if we would get such a sub-forum when the "Keyboards" category gets revamped like the News & Reviews boards did (check out those tabs!).

I wouldn't be too pretentious though; just having such a category won't make Deskthority suddenly the Nexus of alternative keyboards layout talk. There's quite a lot of that happening on the Colemak forums (People try to challeng Shai Coleman every now and then), and GeekHack used to have such a section even though it wasn't that active.

For now though, do go ahead and start a topic in Keyboards if you feel you need to talk about a new layout.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Jan 2015, 08:57

honestly, as much as I like it, I don't think we have enough userbase for an additional category.

bhtooefr

15 Jan 2015, 14:49

I'd say wouldn't be a bad idea to make a layouts tab under Keyboards, but beyond that, not really necessary?

pkamb

15 Jan 2015, 19:52

matt3o wrote: honestly, as much as I like it, I don't think we have enough userbase for an additional category.
I don't necessarily think tons of posts every day is a requirement/goal of the forum. Rather, a neutral website where people can post alt-keyboard projects, research, techniques, experiences, etc. Others can then easily find those topics via google searches going forward, and in turn sign up for Deskthority.

pkamb

15 Jan 2015, 19:56

bhtooefr wrote: I'd say wouldn't be a bad idea to make a layouts tab under Keyboards, but beyond that, not really necessary?
Mechanical Keyboard talk is going to drown out everything in the "keyboards" forum, as it should.

Also, I bet the stats say that people don't really use those tabs to filter the forums. They're hard to notice, and easier just to look at the combined Keyboards view.

Muirium
µ

15 Jan 2015, 20:00

Yup. I agree with you on both counts. Is anyone seriously going to stand up and cause a fuss if we have a quiet little category for a much needed niche? It's not getting in anyone's way. And it might take off in time.

I hear as much about alt layouts at random on the web in general as I do mech keyboards. But it's always random. Needs a home.

pkamb

15 Jan 2015, 20:42

Muirium wrote: I hear as much about alt layouts at random on the web in general as I do mech keyboards. But it's always random. Needs a home.
+1

Can any admin add this forum? Who do we talk to about getting it implemented?

Thank you everyone for the good feedback here! I have at least two threads I'd like to start in the new "Keyboard Layouts" forum, so looking forward to this!

Muirium
µ

15 Jan 2015, 20:51

The final call is likely either 002's or Webwit's. Don't count on victory quite yet…

Topre Enthusiast

15 Jan 2015, 22:14

Fine by me, although I prefer it would be tabbed interface like JBert and bhtooefr have suggested. Also, one extra forum on the main page would finally mean that I can't see everything without scrolling at my default resolution :) Not that I really spend much time on that page. Let's see what webwit thinks.

Muirium
µ

15 Jan 2015, 22:20

Just me, or would simply "Layouts" be a better looking name for it? I'm motivated by aesthetics, as usual. But here's a cockamamie excuse: that way, if people want to argue about how they layout their mouse buttons or displays…

I'll get my coat.

pkamb

15 Jan 2015, 22:25

Yeah, I originally proposed "Software and Keyboard Layouts" so that it was a bit more differentiated visually from "Keyboards" in the 4-forum list (pic in original post). I think "Keyboard Layouts" is such a good keyword that I'd be hesitant to just call it "Layouts".

"Ergonomics and Keyboard Layouts"

"Keyboard Layouts and Mapping"

"Keyboard Layouts and Hotkeys"

"Software and Keyboard Layouts"

idk

Muirium
µ

15 Jan 2015, 22:29

Ergo keyboards are a bit lost here too. Maybe the first one's a good idea. Though I'd prefer "Keyboard Layouts & Ergonomics" as a sensible title.

pkamb

15 Jan 2015, 22:31

+1 "Keyboard Layouts & Ergonomics" is good.

Madhias
BS TORPE

15 Jan 2015, 22:36

Something like tags would be nice: "Cherry MX Black" or "Beamspring" or "Keyboard Layouts" and to get all threads with the tagged threads if clicked somewhere.

Because of the generalized category names like "Keyboards" it is sometimes a PITA to find interesting old threads. Currently i want to read all beamspring threads, and i think i found all of them, but then a day or two days later i see that there is even a more interesting one or did not bookmark it and never find it again. Of course there is Google (and that is what i use to find threads about specific topics).

Muirium
µ

15 Jan 2015, 22:50

I use our own site's search page often enough it autocompletes when I type sea… into my browser. Another trick is a bookmarklet I have for running a Google search on the active tab's current domain. I use that everywhere, but DT's results UI is more my style here.

Here's a bunch of bookmarklets for anyone interested:

https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/search.html

I made my own for the Wayback Machine and Instapaper too. They're mapped to keyboard shortcuts, of course.

Anyway, search isn't elegant in the same way as browsing. As you have to know what you're looking for, there's less discovery. Tags are a nice idea, if we could figure out how to handle them and not let folks get too trigger happy.

webwit
Wild Duck

15 Jan 2015, 22:54

I think a tab under keyboards would be better, this way in case of low traffic to layouts it doesn't slowly die like mice & other input devices, but still gets views from the Keyboards -> All tab when someone does post something new. Also in case Keyboards later grows with keycaps or switches, it makes more hierarchical sense. Not that I'd particularly mind a new full subforum.

pkamb

15 Jan 2015, 23:02

I'd just be worried that a Tab for keyboard layouts wouldn't be used/noticed. That's how it works currently, essentially ("just post layout topics in the Keyboards forum") and I think as a result Mechanical Keyboard Hardware discussion really drowns out everything else.

Separating the hardware and the "software / layout" seems to make hierarchical sense as well. Probably a fairly wide and possibly separate range of interest from members between the two subjects.

webwit
Wild Duck

15 Jan 2015, 23:14

According to the stats for current tabbed forums, more people use the tabs than just the All tab.

Madhias
BS TORPE

16 Jan 2015, 08:34

The tabs in the marketplace are like...

pkamb

11 Feb 2015, 00:22

Bump :D

Return to “Deskthority talk”