Longterm Daily Drivers

User avatar
Muirium
µ

04 May 2021, 12:20

Obin wrote:
04 May 2021, 12:11
Then again that wouldn't have made the HHKB people (that surely exist) happy. And three layouts probably wouldn't have been feasible.
We exist. :D

I think I was the one who led the split Shift crusade when Ellipse was seeking suggestions in the first place. I get your point about a different split. A few years earlier, it could have been a runner. The thought of 1.25 + 1.5u just honestly did not occur to me.

User avatar
an_achronism

04 May 2021, 12:41

Muirium wrote:
04 May 2021, 12:20
I think I was the one who led the split Shift crusade when Ellipse was seeking suggestions in the first place. I get your point about a different split. A few years earlier, it could have been a runner. The thought of 1.25 + 1.5u just honestly did not occur to me.
Were it possible to flip back and forth between the classic and "HHKB" right Shift freely with a simple barrel and switch swap, I'd be in heaven. But of course it isn't because of the barrel locations, so I ummed and awed about it for about a week before finally deciding that I'd rather sacrifice that key in the interests of possibly making it easier to source keycaps for years down the line (since I could just pull them off any old Model M or whatever instead of having to find specific ones).

But aye, I really do like having the key there, although in my case my preference would be to make it the XT-like Prt Scr instead of Fn (I'm sticking Fn on both of the 1U keys on the bottom row, much like Ctrl and Alt being on both left and right hands).

User avatar
Muirium
µ

04 May 2021, 13:00

Thing is, you have indeed got that wealth of mods just one row below with these keyboards. The HHKB *really* needs that Fn key because there's bugger all underneath! But the 4704s all share other options. I make do with the bottom right corner key as my Fn just nicely on my Kishy.
Spoiler:
Image
HHKB arrows only really work for me with your pinkie finger right over on the far edge. So that's the right Fn' key for me!

User avatar
Tritian

04 May 2021, 13:35

Muirium wrote:
04 May 2021, 09:55
But I prioritised buying a nice full weighted Roland keyboard
I love my A-88. I need weighted keys, they're a lot of fun. Sometimes i will use both keyboards at once. Like have a key bass on one and a vox continental on the other and jam to some doorsy sounding shit. Most of the time I just load up a piano vst and fuck around on the roland though. I wouldn't say i'm particularly great or anything, but i have fun :)
Muirium wrote:
04 May 2021, 09:55
Speaking of which: racked piano keyboards I do get. Different instruments on each, play them as required. But racked computer keyboards? You KVMing or something? You need different instruments apps on each hand? :lol:
At the time I was using the model m normally, the niz plum when my gf would complain about the noise of the model m, and that 60% in the corner for gaming.

User avatar
Muirium
µ

04 May 2021, 19:06

Ah, the Roland A-88. Knew I recognised it from somewhere. It was on my radar when I was buying my piano in 2016. I was hovering over getting its smaller brother an RD-64 until the local store (Red Dog Music, RIP) cut me a deal on the fancier FP-30 which I’ve been banging away at ever since! The key feel is a bit nicer on this one, though definitely on the heavy side. I’ve twiddled a few real pianos and none of them are quite as much of a finger workout!

(For those following at home: you’re right, those product names make not a lick of sense.)

I’m more or less 50/50 between using it as a MIDI controller and just an integrated digital piano, so it’s worked out to be a good instrument for me. Bare bones when it comes to twiddling settings back on the DAW, however. You’ve got the pedals and that’s it. Many smaller boards are all lit up with displays and dials. Not mine.

User avatar
Tritian

04 May 2021, 19:44

yeah - i've got the Novation SL49mkIII for when I wanna twiddle dials and such, but the A-88 is extremely barebones.

The key feel is quite heavy. Almost every real piano I try is lighter. However, I think the heavyness helps with my speed.

User avatar
Bjerrk

04 May 2021, 19:49

Tritian wrote:
04 May 2021, 13:35

I love my A-88. I need weighted keys, they're a lot of fun. Sometimes i will use both keyboards at once. Like have a key bass on one and a vox continental on the other and jam to some doorsy sounding shit.
For a moment I thought you were saying Lee Dorsey. And then I realized ...
Last edited by Bjerrk on 04 May 2021, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

Obin

04 May 2021, 20:25

an_achronism wrote:
04 May 2021, 12:19
I want this thing to last longer than me, ideally. Had I gone with the 1.75 + 1, I'd have use the 1U for Print Screen because it'd be the same as the old F "XT" layout in that regard.
I love the XT layout (at least that part, let's not talk about the weird numpad) for that fact too. And I love that shift is not 1.75U but a stepped 1.5U which eliminates binding. It needs some time to get used to it and to hit it properly in the middle, but it's a lot smother than the right shift on the modern layout. I hope that a 1.75U shift gets at least gets close to that smoothness.
an_achronism wrote:
04 May 2021, 12:19
Aside from splitting my ISO Enter into 1.5U and 1.25U (bottom being my new Enter, top probably being Esc or something), I'm considering splitting Backspace into two 1Us with the left being Backspace (since that's where I hit that key anyway) and the right being something like Pause/Break or Print Screen.
Yes, I'm planning to do that as well since like shift I tend to hit backspace at the rightmost edge anyway. I plan on moving the delete key there to give it a nice symmetry. Also, again less binding.

Can someone tell me why IBM designed the stabilized keys to have the insert on the left rather than right, even when most people (I assume) tend to hit the key on that edge?

User avatar
Bjerrk

04 May 2021, 22:37

an_achronism wrote:
04 May 2021, 11:56
Muirium wrote:
04 May 2021, 11:38
Something tells me you'd like this clicky ISO UK fullsize beastie. I must say black space invaders are still among my very favourites, even with all my IBMs.
Indeed, that one is on my list already!

My main priority right now though is building a wee IBM collection. Current mission is trying to find a Model M that's as close to the beginning of September 1990 as possible, for daft reasons.
So ... How old are you? :D

(I'm one to talk. The serial number on my Model F77 is my wedding day ... )

User avatar
an_achronism

04 May 2021, 23:26

Bjerrk wrote:
04 May 2021, 22:37
So ... How old are you? :D
Image
Bjerrk wrote:
04 May 2021, 22:37
(I'm one to talk. The serial number on my Model F77 is my wedding day ... )
Aaaaaaaaawwwwwwww...

User avatar
kbdfr
The Tiproman

Yesterday, 07:10

Given this conversation, time to remind of...
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13274&start=150

User avatar
Bjerrk

Yesterday, 08:18

an_achronism wrote:
04 May 2021, 23:26
Bjerrk wrote:
04 May 2021, 22:37
So ... How old are you? :D
Image
Speaking of, I just saw this UK Model M from mid-August 1990 on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/363370520677

User avatar
an_achronism

Yesterday, 20:07

Bjerrk wrote:
Yesterday, 08:18
Speaking of, I just saw this UK Model M from mid-August 1990 on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/363370520677
Yup, that's the slightly ratty one I meant.

"This keyboard is the same age as me!"
"... But it's missing bits and looks like crap"
"Same!"

Nobody bid, awright? Let me have this! :lol:

User avatar
Bjerrk

Yesterday, 22:37

an_achronism wrote:
Yesterday, 20:07
Bjerrk wrote:
Yesterday, 08:18
Speaking of, I just saw this UK Model M from mid-August 1990 on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/363370520677
Yup, that's the slightly ratty one I meant.

"This keyboard is the same age as me!"
"... But it's missing bits and looks like crap"
"Same!"

Nobody bid, awright? Let me have this! :lol:
With 10 minutes to go, deskthority is breathless!

Edit: 89£! Not cheap for a "for parts" keyboard

User avatar
an_achronism

Yesterday, 23:36

Bjerrk wrote:
Yesterday, 22:37
89£! Not cheap for a "for parts" keyboard
Image

Post Reply

Return to “Keyboards”