supplier for alps compatible parts that ships to europe

guidemetothelight

27 May 2022, 08:53

Hello everyone,

recently i aquired a Canon Typewriter with Alps SKCL Cream.
Iam planning on using the switches (and maybe the caps) in some form of compact board.
Does anyone know of a good supplier of cases / pcb´s for alps switches that ships to europe and has stock ?
Iam looking for TKL, wired , and preferably a metal case.

For the Keycaps , i wanted to go with a modern dolch set i found on Drop, but i couldnt find it anywhere on the web :(
1.PNG
1.PNG (648.95 KiB) Viewed 881 times
Also, what is in your oppinion the best method of "lubing" or "waxing" old alps switches , especially the creams.

Any Tips, Tricks or Info or greatly appceciated !

Best Regards ! , Nick

Muirium
µ

27 May 2022, 11:49

The image looks nice. You sure those caps are Alps mount, though?

Alps definitely makes things harder. The caps, plates and PCBs are all different from the common custom stuff you'll find for MX. Welcome to hard mode! But the rewards are good, as Alps switches really do feel better than MX when restored right.

Speaking of which: the lubing procedure everyone's into is "waxboil" (or some words to that effect) where you melt a little wax into hot water and bathe them in that. I'll mischievously link to Chyros's thread (which was the first to come up under a DT search for "wax") as the comments there are a good taste of people's rather nutty opinions on this stuff! FWIW: I believe wax can work wonders on worn Alps switches, but finding consensus on the "suggested" technique is conspicuously difficult! :roll:

guidemetothelight

27 May 2022, 19:12

Muirium wrote:
27 May 2022, 11:49
The image looks nice. You sure those caps are Alps mount, though?
yeah , i think the manufacturer is Tai-Hao, since they have or at least had the same ones on their webstore.
https://drop.com/buy/alps-keycaps?defau ... Ids=963802
drop was only the reseller, they still have all black keycaps from the same manufacturer in stock.
but here goes me again ,wanting to be special :roll: (well also the dolch looks so sexy)

Thanks for the tip with the wexboil , i was already planning to do so but iam scared i might fuck up the Creams while trying and here in germany supply is very veeeery thin.

As for Case / Plate and PCB , i think this thing willl become on of my long term projects , and i just hope something will be aviable in the future here in germany.

Thanks for the Input & happy typing ! :)

Jan Pospisil

28 May 2022, 14:21

Nobody stocks the dolch set anymore, the only possible way to get them would be second hand.
TH do occasionally release new sets, currently there's a groupbuy (? I think) for a white on black one.
You can also still find the blue and grey one with some resellers.

guidemetothelight

29 May 2022, 01:10

Jan Pospisil wrote:
28 May 2022, 14:21
Nobody stocks the dolch set anymore, the only possible way to get them would be second hand.
TH do occasionally release new sets, currently there's a groupbuy (? I think) for a white on black one.
very sad , as the dolch colour scheme is just sooo clean , simple and elegant. well , time to keep looking.
ill keep looking for sets in the future , black with some grey accents would be cool , also light grey / tan with maybe some light blue or green sprinkled into some keys. doubleshot abs. i would stock up on a few for the future if they ever release stuff in that direction.

got a killer deal on two apple extended II keyboards, both with creams and both for 30 Euros inlucding shipping recently :)
i already own a extended II with whites , maybe one becomes a donor if it turns out to be dead. Then i can build a bigger board layout like 87 percent , as the canon only has like 60 keys , if so at all.

Best Regards

Nick

Return to “Keyboards”