Name this keyboard!

tactica

15 Mar 2015, 17:36

Hi,

This is my very first post on DT so please bear with me if I scr*w up ;)

Just recently I got this keyboard on the local second hand market and so far despite all my best efforts I've been unable to identify it. It bears a big, black & intriguing IBM logo and comes with some interesting traits:

- ABS (yellowed of course) double shot keycaps
- Rubber piece under the keys to provide tactility
- Plate based design, with the upper side very nicely painted black
- Philips screws, both on the cover and to retain the plate itself (which points to EU build)
- DIP switches to choose among AT or XT mode
- Rubberized legs
- Very sturdy housing, a bit larger than a Model M, yet the keyboard is a little bit lightier
- DIN (AT) connector

There's no P/N to go about and the M/N didn't lead me anywhere useful. The feeling when typing reminds me of a rubber dome, but distinctively stiffer owing to those rubber rings. The closer equivalent I've touched before would be the tactile Mitsumis I found once inside a german Amiga keyboard. The previous owner says it was imported to Spain from the UK to be used in a bank.

Help, please? :)
Spoiler:
ImageImage

Halvar

15 Mar 2015, 17:52

Welcome to Deskthority tactica!

Interesting PCB...

The switch is a KeyTronic foam & foil switch if I'm not mistaken:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Key_Tronic_foam_and_foil

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

15 Mar 2015, 17:57

IBM branded?!? Never seen one like that. Nice.

Welcome to DT!

Muirium
µ

15 Mar 2015, 18:04

"Eire" is Ireland in Irish, by the way. I don't recognise the layout though.

Welcome to DT. I see from your profile that we have another space invaders fan! They are indeed a personal favourite of mine too.

tactica

15 Mar 2015, 18:06

Yup, that's the most intriguing part for me. I think Halvar is right with the switch (thanks!) but I have no idea exactly what IBM keyboard I have here :)

Halvar

15 Mar 2015, 18:07

Yes, the IBM branding is kind of suspicious. I don't think IBM would sell ever something without a proper P/N on the back...

The sticker on the PCB seems more significant: Keytronic Europe Dundalk(?) Eire.

Muirium
µ

15 Mar 2015, 18:11

Yup. Keytronic Europe is based right there:
http://www.4ie.ie/c/111460/keytronic-europe-ltd-dundalk

They outsourced manufacturing to Mexico back in the 1990s:
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/1996/m ... ny-shifts/

Findecanor

15 Mar 2015, 19:50

Hah! I suspected that it was Key Tronic when I saw the first picture only because of the small tabs that hold the LED sticker. :)

Key Tronic's model numbers ("M/N") usually start with an E and then four digits, followed by more digits or something else. The label says E0339 with 6055 maybe standing for the specific variation.

wheybags

15 Mar 2015, 20:13

Halvar wrote: Yes, the IBM branding is kind of suspicious. I don't think IBM would sell ever something without a proper P/N on the back...

The sticker on the PCB seems more significant: Keytronic Europe Dundalk(?) Eire.
Dundalk is a town in Ireland

webwit
Wild Duck

15 Mar 2015, 21:26

tactica

15 Mar 2015, 22:23

Yes, that's pretty much the one, with only the IBM brand missing. Great detective work, you guys can beat Google Images any day :)

tactica

16 Mar 2015, 10:13

Muirium wrote: Welcome to DT. I see from your profile that we have another space invaders fan! They are indeed a personal favourite of mine too.
Yup, I got a pack of four 122-key keyboards and one of them came with Space Invaders black & clicky switches - I fell in love as I started typing on it, just when I thought BS was the best switch in the world... Sadly @maxmalkav wanted it too :cry: :)

zuglufttier

16 Mar 2015, 18:08

Can you post a closeup of the IBM logo? It doesn't seem to be perfectly centered and all. Maybe someone just liked IBM and glued the logo onto the keyboard...

tactica

17 Mar 2015, 13:26

zuglufttier wrote: Can you post a closeup of the IBM logo? It doesn't seem to be perfectly centered and all. Maybe someone just liked IBM and glued the logo onto the keyboard...
Here you go. I wouldn't want to take it off if that's what you're asking next ;)

Muirium
µ

17 Mar 2015, 13:45

I agree, I think it's been stuck on by an IBM fan. Nice looking logo, but nothing like what IBM put on its own keyboards.

Anyway, no need to take it off. Whoever did it was right: this board looks better with it on!

Return to “Keyboards”