21 Jul 2016, 02:16

Blues are linear in this case.

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Jul 2016, 02:49

Of course they are. The Alps Vortex never fails to deliver. :mrgreen:

y11971alex

21 Jul 2016, 03:12

webwit wrote: Of course they are. The Alps Vortex never fails to deliver. :mrgreen:
So are the green ones. :geek:

Chyros

21 Jul 2016, 09:26

ohaimark wrote: Aruz switches with four tab Green Alps clones for larger keys? Weird.
My Tai-Hao uses Alps switches for the Enter key as well. No idea what the idea behind that was Oo .

y11971alex

21 Jul 2016, 11:51

Nevertheless, is this a discovery?

ohaimark
Kingpin

21 Jul 2016, 13:40

Quite possibly. Disassemble one, take some photos, and start a thread.

DMA

21 Jul 2016, 18:24

Anyone knows what this is?
Doesn't look like IBM - font is different. But what is it?

Chyros

21 Jul 2016, 18:44

DMA wrote: Anyone knows what this is?
Key Tronic foam and foil. You can see the foil disks at the back in one of the pictures :) .

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

21 Jul 2016, 18:57

Chyros wrote:
Key Tronic foam and foil. You can see the foil disks at the back in one of the pictures :) .
Agreed. And crappy pics on top of that. :?

Chyros

21 Jul 2016, 19:06

seebart wrote:
Chyros wrote:
Agreed. And crappy pics on top of that. :?
Crappy pics for a crappy keyboard :lol: .

ohaimark
Kingpin

21 Jul 2016, 20:17

Chyros wrote:
ohaimark wrote: Aruz switches with four tab Green Alps clones for larger keys? Weird.
My Tai-Hao uses Alps switches for the Enter key as well. No idea what the idea behind that was Oo .
Maybe the stabilizers were more compatible with stock Alps?

Chyros

21 Jul 2016, 20:56

ohaimark wrote:
Chyros wrote:
Maybe the stabilizers were more compatible with stock Alps?
Eh, it uses a rod stabiliser for the enter key though, which I haven't seen very often on Alps boards :/ . It's usually two small stabs on a bigass enter key for Alps, I think.

emdude
Model M Apologist

21 Jul 2016, 21:04

It's also interesting that the stabilizer insert doesn't appear to be what was commonly used for rod stabs. This insert seems to have been made to fit a switch cutout.

I can also add that the IBM 5140's BAE is stabilized similarly, with a rod stab, but I think the positioning of the stab is different.

ohaimark
Kingpin

21 Jul 2016, 22:51

I've seen rod stabs on a bunch of Alps boards. You're right, though.

The only other reason I can think of is that the clones have a heavier spring to offset the stab and keycaps resistance on bigger keys.

y11971alex

22 Jul 2016, 01:51

ohaimark wrote: Quite possibly. Disassemble one, take some photos, and start a thread.
I can't find out how to disassemble one. I'd love to send this keyboard to someone who can do it, though.

ohaimark
Kingpin

22 Jul 2016, 02:01

Would you want it back? ;)

I'm fairly sure someone would walk you through it. If you don't have the equipment or know how, I'm sure several US users would volunteer to do a write up.

If all else fails, I would consider it.

y11971alex

22 Jul 2016, 02:18

ohaimark wrote: Would you want it back? ;)
I don't think so. :mrgreen:
I'm fairly sure someone would walk you through it. If you don't have the equipment or know how, I'm sure several US users would volunteer to do a write up.

If all else fails, I would consider it.
I'm sure all would fail if it means finding a home for this apparently rare specimen! ;) Or would chyrosran want to review it? :D

They have pretty sharp keys as well, double shot, no less, and awesome coloured legends, with the elusive split right shift.

terrycherry

22 Jul 2016, 06:51

Nice found. The E&E keyboard having the huge different model with various alps clone switches.
I have two keyboard with two different various Himake Aruz(Alps mount). One having the alps.tw Type OA1(E&E switch) in enter and space bar,the second one keyboard is unknown(not start to clean). And my friend's Himake Aruz(Alps mount) keyboard having the orange switch in enter and space bar(like orange red, maybe one of the E&E switch).

For more information, take a look:
wiki-talk-f33/wiki-wrong-name-about-alp ... 14105.html

And I think yours green alps clone switch could be the new various of alps.tw Type T9 because I have it on my two 78keys POS keyboard. :mrgreen:
01.jpg
01.jpg (91.69 KiB) Viewed 4469 times
02.jpg
02.jpg (71.97 KiB) Viewed 4469 times
03.jpg
03.jpg (70.25 KiB) Viewed 4469 times

y11971alex

22 Jul 2016, 07:42

This is all quite interesting. I'm fairly certain that my blues are linear, while it appears red is associated with the linear switch type instead. Perhaps this was a limited quantity run for linear blues?

And perhaps this is the first example of a blue slider associated with linear switches?

ohaimark
Kingpin

23 Jul 2016, 00:16

You might be right on both counts. The slider, which resembles the # shape of Aruz switches, makes it even weirder.

Looking on the bottom of the switch for a logo will reveal what's up with it. It will also add another arm to the swirling Lovecraftian vortex that is Alps.

Chyros

23 Jul 2016, 02:50

ohaimark wrote: You might be right on both counts. The slider, which resembles the # shape of Aruz switches, makes it even weirder.

Looking on the bottom of the switch for a logo will reveal what's up with it. It will also add another arm to the swirling Lovecraftian vortex that is Alps.
"Alps, the dark switch of the woods with a thousand clones"? :p

richfiles

23 Jul 2016, 09:09

Not so much a keyboard, but a typewriter, but who knows, maybe the switches are worth salvaging?
OlympiaCarreraTypewriter.jpg
OlympiaCarreraTypewriter.jpg (381.4 KiB) Viewed 4426 times
The key caps seem pretty low profile.
OlympiaCarreraKeys.jpg
OlympiaCarreraKeys.jpg (487.09 KiB) Viewed 4426 times
Doing some research, these appear to be a Marquart switch. They are linear, and felt very smooth. I had no problem popping the key caps of this thing at the thrift store. I did not buy it, but might go back on Sunday, when I can get it half price, provided it does not sell. Is this typewriter worth grabbing up for switch salvage? Are these keys worthwhile to grab, or are they not gonna have a real use?

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my find... Not so much an identify the keyboard, as I sorta kinda did that, but more of an identify if it's a worthy keyboard to acquire, or something best left for the next collector.
Attachments
OlympiaCarreraKeyDetail.jpg
OlympiaCarreraKeyDetail.jpg (534.06 KiB) Viewed 4426 times

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

23 Jul 2016, 11:58

I'd probably buy it for my switch collection if you see it available next time.

Wingpad

24 Jul 2016, 07:48

Anyone know what kind of switches are in this keyboard? It looks like it has a quasi-XT layout and rather nice overall, I am digging the metal Compaq badge. In any case, Google didn't yield much information about it so I've come to the experts. Chances are it's just a bad rubber-dome, though.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

24 Jul 2016, 12:19

Wingpad wrote: Anyone know what kind of switches are in this keyboard? It looks like it has a quasi-XT layout and rather nice overall, I am digging the metal Compaq badge. In any case, Google didn't yield much information about it so I've come to the experts. Chances are it's just a bad rubber-dome, though.
wiki/Key_Tronic_foam_and_foil

alh84001
v.001

04 Aug 2016, 07:20

kbdfr
The Tiproman

04 Aug 2016, 09:48

The layout reminds me of a Chicony "laptop":
Chicony03.jpg
Chicony03.jpg (403.64 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
and the coloured modifiers and "Select" cap of an Ortek MCK142-Pro:
Ortek-05.jpg
Ortek-05.jpg (421.16 KiB) Viewed 4308 times

richfiles

04 Aug 2016, 12:09

Blaise170 wrote: I'd probably buy it for my switch collection if you see it available next time.
I managed to get back to the thrift shop with about 15 minutes remaining till close, and bought the electric typewriter with the Marquart switches. Funny thing, is my car battery was FLAT dead... < 1 volt. Had to charge it all day to get it to start. The auto parts shop I got it from was across the street from the very thrift shop. Just made it! Battery was under warranty, so it was replaced for free, so i rolled home with a keyboard full of Marquart switches and a new car battery! :mrgreen:

2ter

10 Aug 2016, 23:54

found this xt keyboard the other day:

the iso keys and xt specific ones are of a different shape and dye sublimated or pad printed, rather than double shot,
but the real surprice...
Spoiler:
...where the cherry mx white switches

does anyone have any info on it?
thanks

emdude
Model M Apologist

11 Aug 2016, 00:12

That's a really weird board. A quick search of the KB-5150 model number points me to the XT-layout Key Tronic KB-5150 with foam and foil switches.. Are the Key Tronic key caps (i.e. the number row, at least) also mounted over Cherry MX White switches?

Return to “Keyboards”