IDENTIFY THE KEYBOARD thread

Keybug

06 Feb 2018, 20:05

Commodore keyboard that isn't in the wiki. BTC judging by keycaps?

Daniel Beardsmore

06 Feb 2018, 23:03

I'm curious why you think BTC. For old BTC I'd expect the Key Tronic typeface on the keycaps, and a metal back panel.

Sangdrax

07 Feb 2018, 00:41

Saw this old terminal board when watching 2003 BSG. Thought maybe you guys might have an idea what it is. Looks like microswitch maybe? Keys are in alphabetic order which is strange.

rich1051414

07 Feb 2018, 08:01

The top part of that terminal looks very fabricated, but the bottom part does look like it is based around a keyboard module out of something. The keys being in alphabetic order is not the original way the keyboard is laid out. Look at the K and L key sublegends. They were originally positioned on the right, not left.

Sangdrax

07 Feb 2018, 11:54

Yeah, just talking about the keyboard. The thing above it is obviously an oscilloscope that's been gutted and the guts replaced with a color lcd.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

07 Feb 2018, 16:36

Reminds me of a Micro Switch keyboard but hunting down the exact model of a vintage board like that will probably be near impossible.

Keybug

07 Feb 2018, 21:35

Obviously I was mistaken in thinking it was the Key Tronic font when it only somewhat resembles it. Yeah, they do also have those black metal backpanels now that I think of it.

So any further ideas what it is?
Daniel Beardsmore wrote: I'm curious why you think BTC. For old BTC I'd expect the Key Tronic typeface on the keycaps, and a metal back panel.

rich1051414

08 Feb 2018, 01:24

Blaise170 wrote: Reminds me of a Micro Switch keyboard but hunting down the exact model of a vintage board like that will probably be near impossible.
It looks like a module out of a vintage portable pc or terminal keyboard... The color scheme looks a bit like acorn...

One thing is for sure, those are not alps profile used in Alps terminal keyboards, usually sporting SKCC switches. I like the green on cream color scheme though, and I have seen quite a few sets that look similar, perhaps there was inspiration you could track back?

Daniel Beardsmore

08 Feb 2018, 01:31

Keybug wrote: Obviously I was mistaken in thinking it was the Key Tronic font when it only somewhat resembles it. Yeah, they do also have those black metal backpanels now that I think of it.

So any further ideas what it is?
It has a lot in common with the [wiki]Commodore KPQ-E99YC[/wiki] (keycaps, LED cover¹ etc) and since Commodore used Mitsumi extensively, it's most likely Mitsumi, probably KPQ Type or KKQ Type.

¹ depicted elsewhere

Keybug

08 Feb 2018, 12:04

Thanks, you're spot on as usual. Seems to be a very rare specimen, though, couldn't find pictures of that model anywhere else...

Jimi14

08 Feb 2018, 17:24

Any idea what this thing can be?

https://i.imgur.com/1DicQm5.jpg

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

08 Feb 2018, 17:38

Jimi14 wrote: Any idea what this thing can be?

Have any other pictures?

ball00n

08 Feb 2018, 17:40

It looks exactly like board from this post
keyboards-f2/identify-this-keyboard-thr ... ml#p385223

Should have SKCL cream switches.

Jimi14

08 Feb 2018, 17:53

ball00n wrote:

It looks exactly like board from this post
keyboards-f2/identify-this-keyboard-thr ... ml#p385223

Should have SKCL cream switches.
Oh... talk about a bad time to have no money then, would really want it if does have cream alps. (It currently sits at the equivalent of ~60$ with 7 days left.) :(

ball00n

08 Feb 2018, 18:01

Jimi14 wrote: Oh... talk about a bad time to have no money then, would really want it if does have cream alps. (It currently sits at the equivalent of ~60$ with 7 days left.) :(
With 21 bids... I think people who bid on it actually recognized the board. Good luck anyway.

Keybug

08 Feb 2018, 20:27

Could someone PM me the link to that auction? I won't bid, just want to know roughly how much I could have gotten for mine (I posted the previous photos in this thread) that I have since traded for a Wang modded with brown ALPS . Thanks!

Starfoxes

09 Feb 2018, 22:58

Keybug wrote: Could someone PM me the link to that auction? I won't bid, just want to know roughly how much I could have gotten for mine (I posted the previous photos in this thread) that I have since traded for a Wang modded with brown ALPS . Thanks!
https://www.tradera.com/item/340854/302 ... l-retro-pc

Keybug

09 Feb 2018, 23:19

Thanks!

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

09 Feb 2018, 23:45

Starfoxes wrote:
Keybug wrote: Could someone PM me the link to that auction? I won't bid, just want to know roughly how much I could have gotten for mine (I posted the previous photos in this thread) that I have since traded for a Wang modded with brown ALPS . Thanks!
https://www.tradera.com/item/340854/302 ... l-retro-pc
That horizontally flipped photo tho... I think my brain shut down for a second there.

E3E

09 Feb 2018, 23:48

Keybug wrote: Thanks!
Considering the price on Brown Alps these days, I'm sure you got a very fair deal, even if this goes astronomical.

JP!

10 Feb 2018, 14:54

I received this picture from a local contact of mine. I don't have more pictures yet. The keys remind me of Microswitch. I'll try and acquire it regardless though. Anyone here recognize this one?
IMG_2735.JPG
IMG_2735.JPG (447.77 KiB) Viewed 5559 times

Myoth

10 Feb 2018, 15:45

I'm 90% sure this is a beamer but I need confirmation !

JP!

10 Feb 2018, 15:49

90% sure!?! How so? Beamsprings were only found in IBM keyboards. I can't say I've seen any IBM keyboard like this before but others here have been around a lot longer than myself.

Nuum

10 Feb 2018, 15:51

That color scheme is awesome, but the font doesn't exactly match the Beamspring font, look at ÄÖÜ, ^# and the Shift symbols: Image
(from this thread)

Myoth

10 Feb 2018, 15:54

well 90% from the visuals at least, the fact that the profile is the same, and that even the space between the "error reset" key and the case makes think it does, but yeah it you don't think about this it could be a major disappointment as it's nothing like any other Beamspring, it's just so look-a-like, I might have gotten ahead of myself because of how well this clone is. It's probably not a beamer :oops:

cml

10 Feb 2018, 18:30

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (307.1 KiB) Viewed 5484 times

Brett MacK

10 Feb 2018, 18:41

Myoth wrote: well 90% from the visuals at least, the fact that the profile is the same, and that even the space between the "error reset" key and the case makes think it does, but yeah it you don't think about this it could be a major disappointment as it's nothing like any other Beamspring, it's just so look-a-like, I might have gotten ahead of myself because of how well this clone is. It's probably not a beamer :oops:
Still a really cool looking board and might be worth the buy anyways. If you do end up nabbing it you ought to post some pictures about it, would be interesting to see what is under those gorgeous caps. :)

Myoth

10 Feb 2018, 18:50

Brett MacK wrote:
Myoth wrote: well 90% from the visuals at least, the fact that the profile is the same, and that even the space between the "error reset" key and the case makes think it does, but yeah it you don't think about this it could be a major disappointment as it's nothing like any other Beamspring, it's just so look-a-like, I might have gotten ahead of myself because of how well this clone is. It's probably not a beamer :oops:
Still a really cool looking board and might be worth the buy anyways. If you do end up nabbing it you ought to post some pictures about it, would be interesting to see what is under those gorgeous caps. :)
https://www.ebay.de/itm/historisches-Co ... 0011.m1850
it was an auction :/

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

10 Feb 2018, 19:25

cml wrote:
Untitled.png
WYSE, looks like a rubber dome version.

cml

10 Feb 2018, 20:26

Thanks.

Return to “Keyboards”