IDENTIFY THE KEYBOARD thread

snuci
Vintage computer guy

17 Nov 2018, 00:52

elecplus wrote: Maybe not! Did you see the TV typewriter cookbook, or the Popular Science article that tells how to make your own keyboard? This looks VERY similar.
This one has a parallel (or possibly serial) interface so there may be some processing in it but it wouldn't be a full-blown computer. My other Home-made keyboard does have enough computing power internally to be a full blown computer (it has an Intel 8080 in it) but this one is too thin to have anything decent in it, I think. I just like the period esthetic. The slotted screws mean late 70's, I think.

Chyros

17 Nov 2018, 12:39

snuci wrote: Not sure if anyone was watching this but I just bought it. I am certain it's a Key Tronic foam and foil but it is pretty special for a computer guy and I am itching to find out what's inside. I did not pay the asking price. Am I right about the foam and foil?
Spoiler:
wooden keyboard.jpg
Eh, if you're certain about the foam and foil, why exactly are you asking about it? xD

Anyway, I'd say yeah, either KT F&F or MR, based on the keycaps.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

17 Nov 2018, 15:43

Chyros wrote: Eh, if you're certain about the foam and foil, why exactly are you asking about it? xD
I never really know by looking at key caps but lots of people here seem to be able to tell by looking at the font, key cap construction, etc. I couldn't find a Keytronic with that font and Return key style.

Chyros

17 Nov 2018, 17:04

snuci wrote:
Chyros wrote: Eh, if you're certain about the foam and foil, why exactly are you asking about it? xD
I never really know by looking at key caps but lots of people here seem to be able to tell by looking at the font, key cap construction, etc. I couldn't find a Keytronic with that font and Return key style.
Ah, I see. Well, the old KT sphericals had exceptionally rounded keycap tops, like these. Also the font appears to be identical to KT's. They put these on KT magreed and early foam and foil boards. My KT magreed board has almost the same layout, including an ISO-style enter key just like that.

twasa

20 Nov 2018, 17:33

A colleague found three IBM model M keyboards and some unidentified (and worse for wear) keyboard in a house that is being torn down. They're 122 key terminal model M's, with two having stickers at the back still, model 1390702, manufactured in the UK in 1988. Did these use AT connectors, since the cords have been cut from them all.

They're obviously dirty and did get wet as well. I'm hoping that I can at least get one of them to work again, if not all three. Am I being overly optimistic?
Did he do good?
Did he do good?
IMG_6862.JPG (2.06 MiB) Viewed 5734 times

Pumaeggs

20 Nov 2018, 18:50

twasa wrote: A colleague found three IBM model M keyboards and some unidentified (and worse for wear) keyboard in a house that is being torn down. They're 122 key terminal model M's, with two having stickers at the back still, model 1390702, manufactured in the UK in 1988. Did these use AT connectors, since the cords have been cut from them all.

They're obviously dirty and did get wet as well. I'm hoping that I can at least get one of them to work again, if not all three. Am I being overly optimistic?
IMG_6862.JPG

no, they more likely used RJ-45 style connectors, but you can very easily build an internal soarers converter to make these work with USB. I would say disassemble all 3 of them completely, including removing the rivets and separating the barrel plates. i'd say chances are between the 3 of them you have enough parts to get one or maybe two of them working again. Bolt mod is basically essential at this point seeing as they are water damaged.

Myoth

20 Nov 2018, 18:53

twasa wrote: A colleague found three IBM model M keyboards and some unidentified (and worse for wear) keyboard in a house that is being torn down. They're 122 key terminal model M's, with two having stickers at the back still, model 1390702, manufactured in the UK in 1988. Did these use AT connectors, since the cords have been cut from them all.

IMG_6862.JPG
they did use a DIN5 connector, but they used IBM's Terminal language, which is called 270 degrees DIN, soarer should be fine to convert them. and No, you're not being overly optimistic, they're very common boards so there is a lot of documentation and stuff about them, you won't have a problem converting/cleaning them :)

twasa

20 Nov 2018, 19:52

I finally got to open one (after we had a power cut) and it actually looked fine apart from the fluff and grime one would expect from 30 years. I'm glad that Soarer would be fine to get some operational again. Bolt modding is a bit of an issue, since finding the required screws or bolts here in South Africa seem to be difficult, given the sizes. I'm looking forward to learning though, never having soldered anything before. Thanks for the feedback.

Darkshado

21 Nov 2018, 06:04

That fourth one is a Model F, 87 key terminal board, see wiki/IBM_Model_F#IBM_3178_Keyboards

twasa

21 Nov 2018, 16:12

Thanks Darkshado. That's indeed good news. I'm hoping we can find the top cover still.

fohat
Elder Messenger

22 Nov 2018, 00:00

twasa wrote: I finally got to open one (after we had a power cut) and it actually looked fine apart from the fluff and grime one would expect from 30 years. I'm glad that Soarer would be fine to get some operational again. Bolt modding is a bit of an issue, since finding the required screws or bolts here in South Africa seem to be difficult, given the sizes. I'm looking forward to learning though, never having soldered anything before. Thanks for the feedback.
Buying tools and hardware on ebay is cheap and easy, but the problem is the 2-3 week shipping.

twasa

22 Nov 2018, 17:45

My colleague went back to look for the top cover of the model F and found it in two pieces. What kind of glue would one use to join them as perfectly as possible?

Sorry for the poor picture quality.

He also found another two 122 key M's, one badly damaged. Looks like I'll be hoping to restore 5 keyboards if I'm lucky.
Attachments
20181122_161751[1].jpg
20181122_161751[1].jpg (2.25 MiB) Viewed 5569 times

Chyros

22 Nov 2018, 18:15

I'm not sure what plastic the F cover is made of, but if it's possible to glue it chemically, your best best is probably acetone, DCM, or EA.

Sangdrax

22 Nov 2018, 18:38

Ditto what Chyros said. I would probably also slice some support slits in the back of the cracks and back the acetone weld with epoxy just as an extra strength thing. The 3178 is a lovely board, if a bit of a pain to convert. Definitely worth the effort to revive it. Just don't try to remove the spacebar for cleaning with the other keys without taking the switch plate sandwich apart first and unhooking the stabalizer wire. You'll break it.

I think orihalcon also has full replacement cases for like $20.

madrobby

25 Nov 2018, 02:38

What’s this? EBay listing says it came with some Data General terminals.
79C23EB9-7D53-4DEA-BD9B-780616FB3242.jpeg
79C23EB9-7D53-4DEA-BD9B-780616FB3242.jpeg (191.57 KiB) Viewed 5394 times
709EAB4F-7F30-432C-8749-F1359B63D7D3.jpeg
709EAB4F-7F30-432C-8749-F1359B63D7D3.jpeg (201.69 KiB) Viewed 5394 times

Noobmaen

25 Nov 2018, 02:50

Should be wiki/SMK_J-M0404_series or clones

bronz

26 Nov 2018, 02:15

Anyone knows this keyboard model ?

ProfTroutington

26 Nov 2018, 10:05

Anybody know what switches a Panasonic accu spell plus could have in it, can't really find much info on it but its looks pretty clean and quite cheap for where I live so I'm tempted to pick it up.

Myoth

26 Nov 2018, 10:09

ProfTroutington wrote:Anybody know what switches a Panasonic accu spell plus could have in it, can't really find much info on it but its looks pretty clean and quite cheap for where I live so I'm tempted to pick it up.
they're rubber dome IIRC

StrelBoq

30 Nov 2018, 09:25

Any clue which model is this? It looks different than version of IBM model M122 that I'm used to.
Attachments
IBMkeyboard.jpg
IBMkeyboard.jpg (118.64 KiB) Viewed 5232 times

Myoth

30 Nov 2018, 10:02

StrelBoq wrote:Any clue which model is this? It looks different than version of IBM model M122 that I'm used to.
that's an NMB 122 key keyboard. it has black Space Invaders

StrelBoq

30 Nov 2018, 11:07

Thanks a lot, that seems like it!

Myoth

30 Nov 2018, 11:38

has anyone got an idea of what that is ? I can recognize the Acer font, and the page down is rotated. Could this be White Alps or Semi-mech Acer switches ? does anyone know ?Image

cnrmsn

30 Nov 2018, 23:27

Let's test your skillsImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

JP!

30 Nov 2018, 23:29

Just bought this one on eBay from a seller in Bulgaria. Alps clone perhaps? I read AA 14.
switch.jpg
switch.jpg (256.01 KiB) Viewed 5194 times

zrrion

01 Dec 2018, 01:24

It looks like a kpt type clone.

OldIsNew

01 Dec 2018, 02:11

cnrmsn wrote: Let's test your skillsImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Ха! У меня их трое! Социалистический пепел и ожоги на моем борту намного превосходят и более обширны, чем любые попытки капиталистического лакея, который работает под культом личности!

JP!

01 Dec 2018, 02:16

zrrion wrote: It looks like a kpt type clone.
I really think you are on to something. The case really similar to board I have with blue KPT's.

Some more pics:
Spoiler:
kpt1.jpg
kpt1.jpg (270.3 KiB) Viewed 5143 times
kpt2.jpg
kpt2.jpg (197.51 KiB) Viewed 5143 times

uttindar

01 Dec 2018, 16:55

JP! wrote: I really think you are on to something. The case really similar to board I have with blue KPT's.
Looks like Podworld 292 keyboard. wiki/Podworld_292

JP!

01 Dec 2018, 19:07

uttindar wrote:
JP! wrote: I really think you are on to something. The case really similar to board I have with blue KPT's.
Looks like Podworld 292 keyboard. wiki/Podworld_292
From that I found an example of one just like the one I bought.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=7073.0

Return to “Keyboards”